some suggestions
  • 22 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
Matty wrote:
About the 9p game:

if you start out with 3 players on a huge map, with 10 territories each, you could get a situation like that.
The one with a lucky setup on a good region where others cannot reach it unless they fight through lots of neutrals, and a territory near the other ppl's region so that he can stop them from getting one, will win the game.
So there might be situations where a 10 territory start on a huge map will only make things less balanced.

Of course, this effect will be less strong when neutrals have 2 armies each, but it will still be there.

But i'll stop writing now I think, it looks like we dont understand eachother.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
That's a good point Matty. Reducing the number of starting territories on a large map might make things even more unbalanced.

But like I said before, there's no reason not to have the option for specifying the starting territory amount or the number of troops on neutrals. If someone creates a crazy setup using those options then don't join their game.
The_Bishop wrote:
It looks like I'm alone against the whole DXII army, I'm not afraid because truth is in my side!
You told what you think, I tell what I saw. Look the difference!

@Dsds7292 - I don't think you KNOW how 10-terries start works.

@Crystal - It is not so rare to receive a bonus at the beginning.

@Vexer - It's the contrary: higher number of starting terris, higher probability of an unbalanced setup. Test it plz.

@Matty - You understood my ideas of 10-terries start and 2-units neutrals work together.

If you don't like to have so many neutral terries, just don't allow the larger maps to be played by a few players. Vexer, you can't say: "If someone creates a crazy setup using those options then don't join their game". Beginners don't know how to set a game, it is a task of the site to drive them in the game creation. And how to set a game if I don't know the number of terries of the maps? I can't see a decent maps description anywhere in the site yet.

One more things. Why there are many maps with a 15-terries start? Are you crazy? Don't you know this is definitely unfair? Are you Risk players or what you are? Don't allow multiples of 3, please! But, the most funny thing is you don't want maps with a specific numbers of terries. It's a monstrous foolishness. The problem is not on the maps, the problem is on the setup!

I'm sorry I'm a patient man but you have gone beyond the line.

By the way I made some more testes and I changed my mind a little. Also 13 or 17 terries can be good starts. 10 or less is more fair but more than 10 can be more funny, specially in capitals game. But absolutely never allow more than 5-troops reinforcement! And I suggest the beginners to avoid more than 10 terries, it's not so easy to know how to keep the game balance.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
In the official map guide a specific amount of territories are forbidden, to avoid a 15 territory start

If you know alot of maps having a 15 territory start, please report them all - it shouldnt happen.

I know only one - Caribbean double - and I don't play on that one.
It should be changed sometime.

I think its pretty clear that I like the setup, and thus the problem (for me) is with the maps.

Some other remarks:
- 10 territory start and 2 neutrals will reduce the problem I mentioned, but it's still to be tested whether it will solve it.
It's just that I doubt it's worth it.
- You cannot just forbid big maps to be played by few players, some people (like me) like that sometimes.
- Even though I agree with you that a start with more than 5 players is not my favorite setup, I sometimes like to play that for a change anyway.
- I heard you saying often that you want info about a map. Could you send me a message with what information where you want, cause you are right on this and it shouldn't be too hard to do.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
we definitely need our own map browser programmed to replace the drop down list. It should give all details about a map.
Thorpe wrote:
Westeros has 17 on a 4 player cap
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next