I never seem to have enough of it in live games
  • 23 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Vexer wrote:
In the endgame of an increasing card game sometimes 5 minutes is not enough time to kill a player, especially if each player has about 300 armies (it happens).

I have a simple suggestion for how to give extra time as the game gets nearer to the end. Add the amount of the current card turn in value to 5 minutes. At the start of the game you would have 5 minutes 4 seconds. Toward the end of the game if card turn in is say, 55, then you would have 5 minutes 55 seconds to take your turn.

I know that this small amount of extra time would have saved me from disaster several times.

This idea is in addition to getting the time reset to 5 minutes after making a kill and not an alternative suggestion.

You could make a more complicated algorithm that would involve using the average number of armies per user but it's a lot easier to figure out how much time you are going to have if you just use the current turn in value.

Honestly I really don't feel like playing live games anymore until the time issue is fixed. I can't play my strategy properly because I don't have enough time.

And I am NOT convinced that switching our current server from a shared server to a virtual private server is going to make the server so much faster that time won't be an issue anymore. A dedicated server would probably be fast enough but then sometimes the lag is on the client side; some people have slow internet connections.

The solution is clear and has already been agreed upon--reset the timer to 5 minutes after killing off a player. I just want to add that it would also be better if you got extra time according to how high the card turn in value is for those games where it takes more than 5 minutes to kill just one player. And I also wanted to add that I probably won't be playing any live games until this is fixed. 

Please Teck make this a priority. I would prefer this get fixed even over bugs.
Teck wrote:
Hi Vexer,

I fully understand that the frustration that you're getting. Let's discuss over here and see if there's any suggestive and workable solution that we can work on.

Changing the server to a quicker one will only provide a better user experience. And I do agree with your point, most of the time the lagging might come from the client side, which requires an additional coding to safeguard the end game time period.

And last but not least, I do certainly view this as a top priority across all the other issues.

Regards,
Teck
1771 wrote:
I am in complete agreement, this issue has to be fixed first thing. I also like the five second idea that Vexer has, makes complete sense, because sometimes i just won't go for the kill because i am afraid that 5 min. is not enough, not the extra 5 min. after the kill, but the first 5 minutes we receive. We played one heck of a game yesterday to only be let down by the ending. Kind of like watching a great movie with a stupid ending (would you recommend it to your friends?) Which is our biggest problem, we recommend this site to others hoping that it will grow, but we have a bad rep. our first the server our second the time. When we get those two issues fixed we will see our site begin to grow more, we have new maps, we have dedicated people. We are sooo close, almost there as a matter of fact, but we have to have these two issues fixed before i see us advancing.
LIL_APPLEHEAD wrote:
I absolutely agree if you remember our game uncle1771 I lost a game I was so close to winning because of the time 5 seconds more was all I needed it was also because of my own technical difficulties but that would've gave me the game against you and Thaithai would of been wonderful win
Pntbttr wrote:
Maybe we could add ten sec. every time the bonus goes up. The only possible problem with that is too much time, but I don't think that it would afect the game much (normally people don't drop out).
Vexer wrote:
by the time you are in the end game, people don't drop out anymore and they are paying attention. having extra time won't slow the game down, except for the one or two last turns of the game where you really need the extra time.

Adding ten seconds every time the turn in value goes up is too much. By the time the turn in value reached 60, you would have an extra 2.5 minutes. I have only ever needed maybe 30 more seconds to make the first kill. And once it is fixed, the time will be reset to the initial time after each kill so you should have plenty of time to finish off the rest of the board.

I think making the number of extra seconds added equal to the turn in value is a simple solution that will work in most cases. No one else has specifically addressed whether or not this method will give you the correct amount of time. What does everyone think? There needs to be some consensus on whether or not the method I proposed is the right one before Teck will implement it.
Vexer wrote:
I don't know teck said to discuss it and come up with a workable solution. i think my solution from the first post is workable and no one has said that it isn't or proposed anything else so I say we go with it.
Vexer wrote:
I have another idea that will speed up live games and will give you more time to finish your turn while reducing the load on the server at the same time.

Attack more than once with one mouse click.
Next to the attack button could be a drop down box that lets you choose how many attacks to do at once. We could also have a "do or die" button which would cause you to keep attacking until you conquer the territory or you run out of armies.

Now that I understand how the dice rolls work, this makes perfect sense to implement. For 20 attacks instead of sending 20 packets to the server and waiting 20 times for the server to send a packet back, you send one packet saying to do 20 attacks and then the server just sends back the result that you lost 16 armies and killed 24. Much faster and no lag. Now the displaying of the dice rolls would be disabled if you chose to do more than one attack at once but I never look at the dice anyway. I am always just staring at the territories.

I would probably still attack one at a time for most of the game so I can be careful and not lose too many armies in one turn just to get a card, but when it comes time for the great battle toward the end of the game in increasing cards games, this option would be great to have.
lucide wrote:
That is one the things that this place lacks. There should be an autoattack option, that would strike until one party looses, or, until a defined limit is reached. There is enough place for such new attack buttons.
Teck wrote:
Hmm this definitely sounds like a better option for me and yes, Vexer / Lucide I certainly do like the idea.

I do agree that we need to have an auto attack option. I will have a look into this option. It might take sometime thou. I've just taken over the site completely and I need one or two months to get myself familiar with the code first.
Vexer wrote:
I do understand that it takes a long time to get familiar with code when you didn't write it. I even go back and look at my own code that I wrote a year ago and it looks like gibberish for awhile.
1771 wrote:
Now I am up in the air, I guess I am up in the air, in my own personal opinion I don't like the auto att. buttons. When me and my buddies would stay up all night playing risk and would have thousands of men on the board instead of rolling to lose 1 or 2 men we would roll for 5 or 10 men to speed up the fight. But here I don't think we could really do that, very rarely do we see 100 men vs. 100 men. I just don't too much like the auto att. button.

I do however love the idea of adding 5 secs. to the clock at each turn in. If you added 105 men for cards you would get an additional 2 minutes, I have noticed that alot of people aren't even really sure where they should place that many men, so a little extra time would be helping in that way too. I know if you are placing that many men on the board you will have my full attention for the extra 2 min.

However the auto att. button would be easier to understand for the new people, I don't really want to say implement which ever is easiest, just because in my own experiences the harder I work at something the more it is appreciated, but at this point, we desperately need to do something for the time constraints we are having. So I say either or, lets just make it happen.

To Teck I would rather you take your time learning how the site works from the inside out, so you know exactly what to do if something happens, rather than rushing into something and then not know what to do if something does go wrong. Take all the time you need brother.