• 12 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
dimceto wrote:
I have a suggestion because most of the games which are live speed are played on 3 minutes per turn so why the default option is 5 minutes? It's a simple change isn't it?
Also the same when we are playing team games, i suggest "join order" to be default option instead of "random" because almost everyone is going for the other option instead of the default one.
*And why there is option "auto" for joining order for team games when you cannot select that?

Another idea is to have a option where we can safe our favorite and most played settings for a game, for example when I am playing same time games i need to change almost every single setting to make it right for me, like changing the turn time, capitals mode, the map, with fog, unlimited fortification, balanced dice, same time, to choose color. I am asking for a option that will automatically select everything i want instead of clicking every single option every single time.
Matty wrote:
There is a workaround for the create game thing. Once you're done, go to 'create new' (bottom right of the create a game screen).
Then it'll create a new game with all your selected settings. Bookmark that page and everytime you go to it, it'll chose those settings.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
dimceto wrote:
I can't find the bookmark option? You mean to bookmark the game?
Matty wrote:
Your browser can bookmark a page. It'll save the link to some list, depending on which browser you use.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
dimceto wrote:
Oh okay I understand thank you.

What about my suggestion for the default options for the turn length and join order? I think it will be better
Matty wrote:
Not sure. I kinda think 5 minnutes is better because you have much more time to think through a move if necessary.
Though for 'lets not wait too long's sake it should be coupled with a forced start your turn in 2 minutes, then you'll get the extra three.

That's another suggestion somewhere in the forums. Not sure when we'll ever get to implement that though.
Matty is online.
dimceto wrote:
Yea you are right but as we can see almost all of the live games are played on 3 minutes so if someone wants 5 minutes he can select that. Like this everyone is wasting 1 second when creating a game 
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I'm also in favour of changing the default settings. I believe all the live games I've played were 3min games (maybe 5? which weren't). Can't speak for everyone else though; is this data being tracked?

I understand where you're coming from wrt the 5min Matty; but I think I've only seen people run out of "add time" in a very few instances (do you remember @Sygmassacre in the Atlantis map with cards worth >100 in our end game). So with AT available; there is no real problem? (& of course... those people who rather play a 5min game, can just as easily change the setting from 3 to 5? Having the option which is most chosen as the default option... is just logical?). I believe I've also advocated for join order as default for teamgames, but unfortunately that also didn't make the cut: https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/3199/join-order-as-default-for-join-manner (I understand the counter argument, I'm just not agreeing with it - I simply think the most used option should be default; as it'll lead to the lowest overall need for extra clicks).
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
AlexCheckMate
I simply think the most used option should be default; as it'll lead to the lowest overall need for extra clicks).
I think it is fine that the default option is the option that "we" as site think gives the experience we want players to have. In this case, we think that 5 minute games lead to better quality games than 3 minute games, so that's the default there. Same with the team order, but that's a discussion I don't think we need to start from scratch.

I also prefer people playing 5 minute games over 3 minute games from a server performance perspective. It's just a bit better at smearing out the hard work for the server over a longer time, and at the same time it means that if the server gets stuck for a minute, there is more time to catch up.

Anyway, if there is an overwhelming preference for 3 minutes over 5 minutes, that's something I'm willing to consider.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dimceto wrote:
You are right @Cireon but logically the default option should be the option that is selected the most. Also you can write next to the 5 minutes turn something like "recommended" which will tell the new players what the site (admins) prefer and recommend. How many games are created on 5 minutes just because it's default option? And does that worth to force almost everyone who plays 3 minutes to select it every time when they are creating a game?
elysium5 wrote:
Personally, I like to play 5 min turns for live games. & minutes for the bigger maps. I prefer others to take a little extra time to actually think about their moves.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
sfclimbers wrote:
You're never going to make everyone happy all of the time with something like this.

I play 3 minutes with site regulars, 5 minutes with family.
I prefer random start order.

Having something marked as 'Recommended', yet not be the default selection, would be a confusing user experience.
Having a configurable user preferences (turn length, game type, number of players, etc.) would be nice. But even then, I imagine many players play a variety of games. So, even that would have limited value, unless you allowed users to save a number of configurations, with names of their choice, such that they can save their most common setups and just pick from that list.

e.g.
My Deathmatch
My Capitals
Custom -> leads to game creation wizard.

Probably a fair amount of work for somewhat limited benefit.