• 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
dough_boy wrote:
Allow a user to set a timezone, convert server time to the users' time. Then might not need to know what the server time is and have to calculate the difference.
Dima wrote:
No, i am against it!
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
Dima is online.
Cireon wrote:
The reason we decided against that is because it becomes harder to coordinate that way.

If people say "look at the message I posted at 13:37", we have really no idea what time that is.

So in general it's just easier to stick to a single "server time", so that we're at least on the same page.

One feature we could implement though is that we can show a time in the user's timezone when you hover over a time. This is something we do at work (all our logs are in a fixed time zone), which works pretty well if it is important to find out what the local time of a certain message is.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
I think it is his way of saying: "timezone is for loosers,.calculations are for pros!"
Keeping parallel with Dima's religious beliefs regarding capped cards. ;D

EDIT: I understand and agree with what Cireon has just said.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
I guess that would work, but if the SOLE reason for not doing it sitewide is because of the chat, then fix the real problem. To me it is simple. Add a small link icon to the left of the date. When you click it the chat will prepopulate with something like "chat|#". Then when it renders for everyone it will say "See chat here" and anchor link the list to the correct location.

And @Dima, what is the reason you are against it? You need to explain why. If it is the same reason @Cireon mentioned, I already provided a solution for it...that actually makes things a lot easier so you don't have to scroll up and hunt for the one you are looking for.
Cireon wrote:
I wouldn't call that specific code "simple" to write...
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
dough_boy wrote:
I can write the FE for you. Not sure how you are rendering things for parsing so couldn't easily help the BE.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Personally I don't know why a person would need to have D12 show them their local time - the computer/laptop/phone will show you that! Knowing server time is useful for a number of reasons:
1. Useful for referencing "look at the message I posted at 13:37" as Cireon said.
2. Useful for coordinating deadlines (for whatever reason)
3. Useful for knowing when the daily Live game restriction will reset

Anyone can look at their computer/phone clock if they want to know the time where they are - or wear a watch! :D
Or am I missing something?
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

dough_boy wrote:
No, it is to display all times in the users current time. For instance your forum post was 14:35 GMT. It would be much easier if it was in CST for me.

1. I provided a fix
2. Deadlines would now be in your specific timezone, so you know what you need to do and when you need to do it
3. Could be displayed as a countdown clock

I think you are missing the point.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes @Virtuos, you are missing the fact that when you read "Posted: Yesterday, 15:59" it is not so intuitive to understand when exactly the message has been posted. You have to check the server time and do the calculation. If anyone of us could synchronize the site clock according to his/her time zone that would be more ease for everybody. But, a second problem comes out = When you copy&paste a message or game-log notifications containing date and time, it would be not understandable for the others (unless they know your time zone), so Dough_boy suggested something that I didn't understand exactly...
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
Bishop, so instead of telling someone see 15:59 and then they would have to scroll up to find it (and assuming there was only one), a person would click a button that would add to the chat something like gc|# or tc|#. Then when this comment is rendered everyone would see something like "See comment" and when clicked on it would scroll the list to the comment. There now would never be a need to say see a specific time, nor any reason to ever copy and paste the date/time again into a comment.
Cireon wrote:
How is that suggestion related?
vikingo1337 wrote:
They’re both about timezones. And they’re both about syncing time. So I think it is.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Munvo wrote:
This may be what dough_boy is referring to by a countdown clock but beside the GMT could there be the relative time since the event occurred or even available as information visible when you hover over the time via the html alt attribute - at least the latter would keep the page from getting too cluttered but make it easier to understand when things have occurred.