More action, less waiting
  • 11 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
vikingo1337 wrote:
We have same time games. Live games. And 24-hour games. But we don't have same timezone games.

Obviously, these games would be for people who prefer to play with people from the same timezone, as 10, 12 or even 24 hours can be a long time to wait unnecessarily in longterm games with a lot of players from different timezones. Or just one player on the other side of the globe who is keeping everyone else waiting every turn. And vice versa.

The name, 'Same timezone', is relative of course, since people following, e.g., GMT and CET are not that far apart and can probably wait an hour more or less without issue. Hence, the games could also be called 'Regional games' or something to that effect. But the main focal point here is the timezone, evidently.

Alternatively, every new game could be given a label disclosing the timezone of the creator. Or a similar label for every player? That would certainly do wonders for the transparency of newly created games, so everyone has an idea about how much action, and how much waiting, a game entails.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
dough_boy wrote:
I don't think the timezone matters. Unless you are playing live, knowing the timezone doesn't necessarily mean that everyone in the same timezone will be able to take their turn relatively quickly because of well...life.
vikingo1337 wrote:
It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't either. "Life" is a possible obstacle that we can do very little about, whereas a completely different time zone is a guaranteed obstacle that we CAN do something about. Anything else?
~Fafnismal 28
Matty wrote:
I have had games where every turn took a day. Not sure if that was because of timezones, but it could very well be so.

I can see the use of this, but I'd not rate this very important right now, so probably won't happen for quite a while.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Anyone who prefers to get their turn faster than in standard longterm games, or slower than in live games, would benefit from having this option too.
~Fafnismal 28
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes sometimes there are games that go really slowly.
People checking their games only once a day is the main cause, added to the fact that different people check their games at different times.
Not always related to the time zone though, I know players in my same time zone who go to sleep at 10:00 pm while I usually stay active on the site the entire night or almost.

I would like 16-hour turn games instead, just for people checking their games twice or trice a day.
But I can understand the effect is different from playing 24-hour turns with same time zone players.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
vikingo1337 wrote:
12-hour games, 16-hour games, regional games, timezone games... at this point, anything to shorten the waiting time.
~Fafnismal 28
vikingo1337 wrote:
Would it be hard to program? Adding more options to ‘Choose turn length’ I mean.

My knowledge of programming is fairly limited, so just asking out of curiosity.
~Fafnismal 28
periwinkle wrote:
Nope...I don't like the idea of time zone games....all my teammates except for one is in Europe and I am in North America because of when I choose to play.  Also why limit people you play against as well? Having a shorten turn length to 16 hours is a solution to this problem.

If you want to just play against people in your time zone....then maybe create a clan?

Which is another idea...why aren't there any clans here? Like competitive clans or social ones? Perhaps create another main forum thread and the sub forums are different clans. Then clans can compete against each other. Just a thought... 
God_of_War wrote:
12 hour games... i want to be active and play with active people. if 12 hr is too short for some, then don't join them... just like I usually don't join 36 hour.
Hi there!
vikingo1337 wrote:
Absolutely, God_of_War. 12-hour games would be great, as the amount of waiting would be cut in half. Especially in games with a lot of players.

And yes, it would just be yet another option to choose from. I've never joined a 36-hour game either, as it would be too slow for my taste. So this would be the same, only opposite.

By adding 12-hour games, we'd have games that suited more players on the site, regardless of their tempers and time schedules. It would almost certainly also lead to more games being created too, as the games would end faster. Win-win.
~Fafnismal 28