Wouldn't that be nice?
  • 15 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I'd like to have a place for myself. Somewhere where I can have my own thoughts and scribbles - within this website (so I can read it, regardless of which device I use to access this website).
An option could be to add another forum tab (which could be toggled of for those who wouldn't want to use it).
In this place, I could write down stuff which would be relevant for me, with respect to D12. For instance: a small to-do-list, or some learning points, or even links to all the things I want to have quick access to (e.g. some forum posts, some people, some games, anything goes).

What do you guys think of it?

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
Hi Alex,

One thing you could do is send a message to yourself in the message system, and keep updating that. It doesn't allow editing sadly, but given that this is a pretty niche use case, it could be a good start?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
it gives a whoops page now if you do that. i use to do that..(send messages to yourself) but after the migration it no longer works.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum is online.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Use the Notes section in a finished game. Your first for instance, so it’s easy to find. Nickname the game ‘Alex’s Diary ♥️‘. Then add to it whenever you feel the urge to scribble down your most inner secrets. Solved.

"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Hoodlum wrote:
vikingo1337
Use the Notes section in a finished game. Your first for instance, so it’s easy to find. Nickname the game ‘Alex’s Diary ♥️‘. The add to it whenever you feel the urge to scribble down your deep thoughts. Solved.

I've wanted to test bbcodes, make quick links for myself, notes the same as alex suggests..hyperlinks don't work in the tabs.

it was quite useful to send myself notes, but the work around i have used for myself is to send messages to a non activated never used accounts when i've wanted to do some message formatting..

Hoodlum is online.
Cireon wrote:
[image]

I managed to do it. I tested it just yesterday because I wanted to make sure it worked before suggesting it ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Hoodlum wrote:
who did you send it to? 
To:

I get a Whoops page when I send a message to Hoodlum

Hoodlum is online.
Cireon wrote:
I sent it to Cireon I think. Maybe I used the wrong box though. Try sending it to nobody
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Cireon
Hi Alex,

One thing you could do is send a message to yourself in the message system, and keep updating that. It doesn't allow editing sadly, but given that this is a pretty niche use case, it could be a good start?

Yes, that is something I've considered myself too as well as used - however, it's rather cumbersome and doesn't do all the things I would want it to do (as Hoodlum mentioned, it's pretty annoying with (copying) BBCode).

Example of my first experiments with this tactic: (click to show)

It's really tricky to copy/quote from my own inbox. Hence my suggestion to just get another forum tab (for those who it would be a bother for, they can toggle it off? or better yet, have it toggled off by default and have people toggle it on, if they wish to make use of it?). Remembering how easy/quick it was to just add the Tournament page, I figured this would be an easy thing for the programming team. So albeit it's for a pretty niche use case, considering the effort to get it in seems negligible, it's still very worthwhile?

IRT Hoodlum

I filled in that I send to myself and it then also leaves out the "To: (blank space)" - not sure why it goes differently on your account? Is it some beta testing thing which I enabled? No clue.

Just testing it again now with a new message thread:

Your reply has been sent.

Oops, sorry! The number of unread messages had to be corrected :].

Search messages Create message

Displaying 1-20 of 613 messages. Between Message Last reply Options
   « 1   ...   31   »
To: myself New! test (2) 1 second ago

So it went from 0 to 1 - which was a tad strange for the system? As it doesn't predict to go up a counter from your own actions?
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Best way to currently do this is to send a message to yourself (aka, To: "AlexCheckMate";) and then mark it sticky.

Hoodlum
I get a Whoops page when I send a message to Hoodlum
LOL. No, you don't.
You do get a whoops if you send it to hoodlum though :S Fixed ;)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I'm already talking to myself; it's not fulfilling.
How to mark sticky?
Is there a downside to a private forum space?

― Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
AlexCheckMate
I'm already talking to myself; it's not fulfilling.
How to mark sticky?
The star icon on the far right of the messages page :)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Cireon wrote:
We'd have to put time and effort into a feature that will be used very little. From a web design perspective, it is also not a good thing to just have more and more links everywhere, so we should be selective with what we add.
jr502 wrote:
I like the idea of a private, personal notes area....that is not tied to a game.  I would say that this is not a priority item compared to many other things the programmers could be doing.  But if it is easy to do, it would be nice to have.  (since the Notes tab is already there in games, I am wondering if it is easy from a coding perspective to just put something similar outside of games.) 

regarding the clutter and links everywhere, it could go in the user's dashboard on the left sidebar.

As for "used very little" -- well if that is true, then there can be no strong case for doing it, you are right. Do we know that it would be used little? 

I don't think "message to self" is a very good workaround, though it does have some value.

Again, not a priority. But would be nice.