Mmmmmmmmyes?
  • 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Let me start of by acknowledging that I am a member of a website, to play risk games on, where I participate within certain set rules, which I have read and agree to.
Nevertheless, as there is a forum for suggestions/feedback, I wish to express a suggestion. :)

I have managed to misbehave on two occasions already... I used the S-word twice; once in a game chat, once in the forum: ( https://dominating12.com/game/887666 -
"24 Jan, 20:42 AlexCheckMate: S-word, sorry, never my intention!" & https://dominating12.com/forums/5/off-topic/3084/money-and-masks-game-thread/post/53824#post-53824 (do not quite remember what I said.... but something with the S-word). Never did I intend on using it in a harmful way towards someone (& I'm pretty sure I also haven't, feel free to critique on it, if deemed necessary). Apologies for both :3

Nevertheless the no harm intended... it resulted in twice 1 chat point removed... which I understand, as it is how the rules are. Doesn't mean I'm happy with it though :p

So my suggestion:

Implement a filter/censor that'll automatically alter (predefined bad) words when used! (Not sure how easy it is in the chat - maybe skip that idea? - but in the forum it should be rather easy; I've seen it before). The words in itself shouldn't be hurtful in my opinion, it's the context that makes something hurtful. So if the S-word and the F-word get automatically altered from their respective 'normal form' to (e.g.) s*** and f***, that would save me (& others, I presume) a lot of hassle!

Having said that, I am already trying to monitor myself and not use the words... but as these examples show, I've already had it slip through anyway... :3 Easiest would of course be to just not #care about the chat points... but I do. These words are rather common to me in everyday life - not because I'm a rude person, but because of the environment I grew up in - they're rather accepted here. I understand this might be fully different at other places, so I wish to respect that - the respecting it will however be much easier when I get automatically censored by some code :p

I see no drawbacks in this suggestion, other than that it'll require some initial input from a coder to get it in. On the other hand, it'll lighten the load of monitoring the forum manually on these words...

Please give me your thoughts on this suggestion.

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
There's two reasons to have a filter:
1. To stop ppl that don't care about the rules and just want to swear - this is the usual reason for a filter.
2. To stop ppl from accidentally posting a bad word sometimes - this is you.

This suggestion has been posted before, and I'm very much against it (reasons below). But keep in mind these apply to the first case.
In your case it's even easier: Thank you for being a nice person, and don't worry. It's completely fine to make a mistake here and then. No one will take much notice of a single point here and there - it happends.

Quote from myself in some other post
So I am one of the persons that doesn't want this.
Some reasons:
  • It's really, really hard to do well. In fact, in all my life I've never seen someone do it well before. And that includes companies with a lot of money and time to spend.
  • The ones that have tried, usually end up blocking more and more words. Until they start blocking everything. Real life example: We were playing a game of rocket league, and my friend changed his name to 'hagelslag'. This is the Dutch word for 'sprinkles' - it's sort of bits chocolate (probably with extra sugar) that ppl in the Netherlands like to put on their bread for breakfast or lunch. His name was replaced with a bunch of stars (*********).
  • It encourages ppl to swear. Even teenagers who otherwise wouldn't like to swear that much will now try it because it's a game to beat the site's filter.
  • It will cause many unintended side effects (unless the profanity filter will make exclusions for bb code, which is a very hard thing to do correctly). for example, if you post the link https://thedailywtf.com/articles/classic-wtf-a-spoonful-of-sugar, it will probably replace the 'wtf' in the site name there with 'BLEEP', which breaks the link and makes it go to another site completely (security incident much?).
    Even funnier, Hoodlum's tournament will then show up as https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/3028/BLEEPBLEEPination-tournament.
  • There's really no need a filter like this.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Was waiting for a bit to see if more people would voice their opinion, seems like that is not going to happen.

Yep, I agree I can be sorted within the 2nd group. Though I do not worry about my chat rating - it does bother me =/ I'm (a bit of) a numbers freak/g33k/nerd.

It seems we have different experiences with filters - I have seen simple filters without negative feedback on them (or at least - I've not been (made) aware of any negativity with respect to them). The blocking of more and more words.... I understand. Doesn't have to happen here too though - you guys are still in control; could just start with a simple filter and see how it goes. For all I care, only censor the 4 letter s- & f-word? These are words that in my opinion can be used for other reasons than just being hurtful/derogatory; to express amazement/(slight) irritation. The Dutch example... hagelslag/sprinkles... I do not even know/understand what could be wrong over there? :D Just weird/laughable^^
Encourages swearing.... mmm.... I can understand where the thought comes from. Sounds a bit backwards to me though; Having rules 'always' encourages them to be broken => best to not have any rules at all? Nah
Yep. Links will be a problem. However... why is this a 'problem' ? If one can't mention the s & f words in a non harmful setting, one should also not be allowed to use them as part of a link? So there is no real change here - the change would be present if the filter would come.
The need; I suppose that is a personal opinion. Having said that..... with my topic around from the first day of the working week, till the last and only 1 reaction..... suppose that does show there's hardly any interest in it. I'll deal with it - no biggy (unless of course you might want to change your mind - I remain all for it ;D)

Thanks for your reply - seeing you put an old(er) quote in, shows it's been discussed before.

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
AlexCheckMate wrote:
As a follow-up...... I noticed that I lost a chat ranking point today..... I didn't know what caused it..... then I backtracked a few of my steps and came back to this post:

https://dominating12.com/forums/5/off-topic/3095/money-and-masks-feedback/post/54487#post-54487

As I noticed it was editted a mere 5 minutes after I posted it... and the edit must've been this bit: https://dominating12.com/forums/5/off-topic/3084/money-and-masks-game-thread/post/53951#post-53951 - full on #rage response on Anax' blatant #$%$%$ role claim.... - I didn't write "#$%$%$" - I wrote 2 capital letters instead. So 2 capital letters appear to have needed an extra censor?

It is ok to write S-word and F-word, in that exact wording - to prove a point. It is not ok to write what I wrote? The 2 letters are the short version of 'male cow excrement'
To me... this is really taking it too far.... what's even the difference in reading those 2 capital letters and "#$%$%$" ?
Alas.... that's not up to me of course.

The meaning of this post: I wish to be informed when such an action takes place. Without the 'culprit' being notified of his/her 'wrongdoing' - how is s/he supposed to improve his/her behaviour?
If a moderator takes the time to fully scan a post like that and nitpick on such a small thing, I believe s/he should also take another minute of time to send the person they editted a short message, explaining the problem.

I'm sorry if I come across as a sensitive little whiner... I'm merely expressing my genuine feelings towards this thing.

To add a question to that.... is it allowed to add a link/picture of a male cow emptying his bowels? Or not the action, yet the result? I have no clue about the lines here.... it's not my intention to locate the edges of my perimeter and stay just barely inside... then the obvious advise would be to remain far away from whatever you might find risky...... but in that case, I'd be close to just deciding to not talk anymore at all - which I think completely misses the intent. Especially in this specific case, where the topic starter is asking for genuine feedback.

-Alex

― Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
To clarify
I moderated it. It wasn't two letters. it was the whole 8.
i didn't scan the post for swear words, it is a topic i follow. we have had more than one discussion about this in private and in a game room of how the language works here.
It's strict. i agree with having the filter, but it is what it is, and i have to moderate with the tools i have. a report button, a temporary chat ban, permanent chat ban etc... it escalates depending on the situation.
there is no need to continually remind a player. that's just work. this is the best outcome. you did the work and found the error of your ways. if you want your chat score to improve, then you know what not to do. gl
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman