• 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
dough_boy wrote:
Can we look into how attendance is "dinged" if you miss turns? Maybe instead of it being on a turn by turn basis it is on a day by day basis? For instance if I miss a day (even just late by a few hours) and I had a lot of tournament games I can end up losing a lot of ranking and not being able to play additional games.

Maybe if you are premium that should happen and others that are not are the current way?

Ultimately things happen and I think the score can drop really fast, but take a lot longer to increase.
SethHrab wrote:
dough_boy
Can we look into how attendance is "dinged" if you miss turns? Maybe instead of it being on a turn by turn basis it is on a day by day basis? For instance if I miss a day (even just late by a few hours) and I had a lot of tournament games I can end up losing a lot of ranking and not being able to play additional games.

Maybe if you are premium that should happen and others that are not are the current way?

Ultimately things happen and I think the score can drop really fast, but take a lot longer to increase.

I agree with this. I too am playing tournament, and apparently my turns expired in 2 or 3 games while I was asleep and working the next day.. oh well, stuff happens, but dang that dropped me 4 or so ratings in attendance. :-/
SethHrab wrote:
If not possible, maybe make tournaments 36 hours rather than 24 hours turn time? Gives the working man a chance! :P
dough_boy wrote:
What is strange is that the only time it appears to come into play is when it comes to tournaments. I don't think you can even filter or restrict based on it.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Do not know what caused it.... but I had an idea pop up that might help for this issue?

Link to see the attendance rating, going from low to high: https://dominating12.com/userlist?sort=reputation_attendance&dir=asc
This rating is currently used to filter/disallow people to play certain games - which makes some sense, as it gives an idea of how accurate people are with respect to actually completing their turns. However, as mentioned here (and at other places too, I think), this rating can be very volatile and change over night in a very negative way. Although this does indeed give an impression of how people have been behaving LATELY, it does not give any credit for previous behaviour.

I would suggest to use a DIFFERENT column:

https://dominating12.com/userlist?sort=num_turns_missed&dir=desc
Divide the amount of turns someone has missed by the amount of turns someone has taken.

Then, instead of having a requirement of 90 attendence reputation score to enter a tournament, it could be to have a turns missed/taken ratio <0.1 (or any other constant that you guys might feel good about).

Both methods have their cons and pro's, obviously - yet I believe this 2nd method takes out the problem of people plummeting in attendence score and having great issues climbing back up. A combination of the 2 is probably even better... yet somewhat more cumbersone with respect to coding. Just switching from A to B should be easy though (in case more people agree with the idea).

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
I think it works pretty good the way it is now. I usually have a perfect attendance score but I had an issue with internet outages a few weeks ago and because I was playing so many games and missed a bunch of turns all at the same time, my score plummeted all the way down to 57. I played only 2 player games since (which we restrict other players to when their attendance falls below a certain level) and it is currently back up to 89. It didn't take long to get it back up.

It is a good tool for tournaments to help us see recent scores so absentee players won't ruin tournaments and also for putting restrictions on those players for all games so they don't ruin multi players games by missing turns in games.

But remember, it is just a tool and we can always make exceptions.

There was a particular player (I won't name names and no, I'm not referring to myself) who had a whole bunch of games on the go and always had a great attendance score but missed only one day of taking turns because of a family emergency and their score plummeted because of it. They wanted to join a tournament and we allowed it no problem because that was not a normal circumstance.

The
problem of people plummeting in attendance score and having great issues climbing back up
isn't really that much of a problem due to the fact that;

1.If you are a premium player, your score can drop fairly quickly if you are in a bunch of games and you miss a bunch of turns all at once but you can also get your score back up fairly quickly as well by playing and completing a bunch of 2 player games.

or

2.If you are a free player, it takes longer to let your score go down low and reflects that it is not just a fluke missing turns, it is a habit and as a free player, it will take a little more time and effort to get it back up but this is what needs to be done to teach players who play for free and miss so many turns that their score gets low that their is a consequence to missing turns.

While it is not fun to be the player who has their games restricted to 2 player games until their score goes back up, don't forget that it is also not fair to the players who had to deal with a player who missed the turns in the first place, often times drastically altering the course of a game which is not fair to a lot more people than the one missing turns.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Whisp wrote:
Its surreal when people that mostly avoid taking the turns as long as possible, discuss taking turns and attendence in a creative approach.