• 28 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
Cireon wrote:
Oh I really like the idea of having a little tutorial pop-up!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I will make a demo page/post to discuss and refine so that you guys can decide how best to arrange it and link it.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Capitals TutorialBlank Blank Blank[image]Blank Blank Blank
Blank
You start and finish the game with only one Capital.
Your Capital is a territory owned by you which has a White ring around your troop circle and will have more troops than the usual 3 starting troops.
[image]
This has to be defended at all times because if someone conquers your Capital, your game will be over and the conqueror will get all your other territories and your cards, so keep reinforcing it at every opportunity.
Blank
Conquering another player's Capital
Before attempting to conquer another player's Capital, first make sure that you have a path of territories to get to it, which are owned by other players and not owned by you.
Also make sure that you will be gaining enough troops from card exchanges with the cards received after you conquer the opponent's Capital (*Note you do not get a victory card until after you end your turn, so only count your cards + your opponent's cards and check the current exchange value).
Also make sure that you have enough troops to conquer it and not just weaken it (3 player games or higher), because that would ruin the game.
Count the troops in their Capital plus all the troops on the path you chose to get there and add 1 troop for each territory to be conquered, as you will have to leave 1 troop behind in each territory as you go.
When you arrive next to the Capital that you are trying to conquer, you will need to have the same or more troops than the Capital that you are attacking, otherwise there's a good chance that the attack will fail and the game will be ruined.
[image]
Examle: 26 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 35 (just enough to conquer the Capital in Diagram 2)
Blank
Conquering the 1st Capital:
If everything goes well getting to the target Capital, you should arrive next to it with just enough troops to conquer it, but if you lose more than expected getting there, you'll need to seriously consider calling off the attack and fortifying all remaining troops back to your Capital.
Do not start attacking the target Capital if there's a very good chance that the attack will fail, this will just weaken the opponent (3 player games or higher) and give the game away to the next player after you.
[image]
Blank
Card Value:
(Using Diagram 2 with Increasing Cards: ) If you have 3 Cards and your opponent has 4 cards and the current exchange value is 20 for a set of 3 cards exchanged, then it is worth conquering your opponent, as there will be a good chance of you having 2 sets to exchange from the 7 cards and you will receive 20 + 25 = 45 troops to place near the next opponent's Capital to conquer that as well, possibly to win the game depending on the amount of players in the game and how many cards are available to acquire, or you can fortify your own Capital, stronger than before and receive a victory card ready for your next turn.
Blank
Winning the game:
To win, you have to conquer all other players Capitals.
From the amount of troops that you get at the start of each turn and the fact that you have to lose some gaining a victory each turn to get a card, most 3 player+ Capitals games usually have an optimum point when you can attempt to win the game.
This is usually when the card exchange value is at about 20 troops.
You will normally need to be able to conquer an opponent's Capital and add their cards to your own to exchange 2 sets and so be able to place troops and attempt to conquer the next opponent's Capital.
If you successfully conquer all other Capitals, you win.
Blank
Hints & Tips:
I'll finish this tomorrow (time has beaten me).
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
Do we really need this many words? I don't think many people will read this. Can we get away with one or two sentences per image?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
LOL it been aeronautic'd, yes, exactly what I thought after I posted what I had.

I will work on summarising it, suggestions on wording always welcome.
Cireon wrote:
[image]
This is your capital. Protect it at all costs. If you lose it, you're out of the game!

[image]
It is not recommended to attack with your capital's troops if you're not sure you will win. You may give the game to the next player!

I think that's all we need to be honest :$
aeronautic wrote:
Cool.... now that is absolute summarising! ;)
I'd best change Diagram 3 to Diagram 2. It's too weird having 1 & 3

Would you rather I left a grey blank on the image and you add real text over the top of it?
Cireon wrote:
Not sure if they are necessary? Otherwise, it's a bit of a pain to get the text be in the right spot, so we should update the diagram. Curious to hear if others have suggestions.
dough_boy wrote:
Curious...but this appears to be a "tutorial". What if by default on the first turn (or all turns) of a capital game for every user this message just appeared in an overlay next to their capital?

What if instead of it always saying "It's your turn. [begin turn]" we rephrase that screen to be:

This is a domination game. Conquer {x} territories to win!
[begin turn]

This is a deathmatch game. Kill everyone to win!
[begin turn]

This is an assassination game. Kill {xyz} to win!
[begin turn]

This is a capital game. Conquer all other capitals to win! Protect your capital at all costs!
[begin turn]

The game type could be a link to a full tutorial page that would open in a new window for that game type.

Also it might also be good if that was your color. Right now it is always black, but if it was the color I was it would make it easy to get going right away...
Matty wrote:
That's a pretty good suggestion. Not just for new players, but also for people that play many long term games.
Wouldn't be the first time I forgot it was a domination game, and left 1-territories everywhere :P
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
Yeah...that is what I was thinking. I play a lot of long term games at the same time and always have to first check the goal of the game before I get going. This would save some time. We could skip the linking portion in the short term if this was a quick add...
aeronautic wrote:
I like dought_boy's idea.

The original suggestion was regarding resetting the turn due to a failed attack and the reason for a failed attack was mainly poor dice, but also other things that could maybe have been avoided with a tutorial that covers the ill-fated strategies that ruin games, so I suggest that we still make a Capitals Tutorial page for the main site.... or do we already have one?
Cireon wrote:
Sure, sounds good!