• 28 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
dough_boy wrote:
I have caused some on accident and been on the end more than that of attacks that failed that hand the game over essentially to the next person in line. Frankly I am tired of it, and I am sure others are as well. For instance in an increasing game I come up just short (maybe a few armies) and the next person can kill the remaining and then go on to win the game.

Would it be worthwhile to have a "reset" turn button that would put it back the way it was at the start of my attacking turn (after I placed my troops) and then my turn would be over and half of all of my troops would be removed? I would rather penalize myself than hand the game to the next person in line. Basically it would allow the game to continue and have someone earn the victory instead of it being handed to them.

So after I place my reinforcements a snapshot is saved of the game board (including log history position). If at anytime before I end my turn if I hit the reset button everything is set back to the snapshot, my armies are halved and the log cleaned with a message saying "dough_boy reset his turn". If I don't reset and instead end my turn the snapshot is "destroyed".

It would be an honor system type thing and once people know about it I would think they would use it for the reasons mentioned above.
Matty wrote:
Everything in me sais this is just going to be abused. I've had it too often that people for the hates of it don't want to give a win to a player that deservingly set it up. Not just me, plenty others as well.
But I can't realy see a way to abuse this. Maybe for assassination games.

Well, and resetting and suiciding on the one that had the greate defensive dice, but for that we have mods I guess.

I'm willing to try this one. I sooo hate to see this game go from pure strategy and thoughtfull moves to 'oh, the previous guy screwed up, gg'.

No need really to keep a snapshot either (we have, though usually further back) - we can reverse it on the game log.
Problem is as always that it'll take time to implement.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I am going to play devil's advocate here: I'm afraid it'd just complicate the game :( How can we be clear enough in our language what this button does and what it means in the game log for new players? I agree it's stupid to lose a game like this, but isn't that part of the game? If you don't want this to happen (often), shouldn't you just play with balanced settings to make strategy more important so this doesn't happen?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
A lot of the games where I die I look at the chat and see someone saying sorry, or crap dice, or gg, etc. And a lot of the time it is veterans who know they handed the game to someone and just missed doing what they wanted to do (obviously not intentional). Sometimes it is that they missed a territory, etc. I don't think it will be abused...and it might only be used by veterans.

Even playing balanced games you can have the best plan and the dice just kills you at some point.
dough_boy wrote:
Had 2 capital games today both "ruined" (self-admitted) by the same person...just due to "bad rolls".
Madagascarter wrote:
I like that Kyla. I don’t want noobs misunderstanding it and using it amtherefore completely unbalancing a valences game.
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
Matty wrote:
This button or whatever it is will not be available by default, that for sure. Maybe you can only buy it after you played 50 games.

The main question to me right now is not how to do it in the interface without making it overly complicated. The main question is whether or not it will fix anything.
Sure, you don't have taken out two players after your failed attack, but you still have taken out yourself.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
How is this a fair option if it's not available for everybody equally?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
How would it be unfair to not have it?

The only thing it gives you is the possibility to undo damage upon your opponent, and a bit on yourself.
It's not as if after you use it you still have chance yourself.
maafi wrote:
Would you still get a card?
If you’ve traded, do you get your cards back? If so, what happens if you had 5 cards and had to trade?
How often could you use it? Could you use it on DM or domination games? If so, and you can only use it once, how do define when the right occasion is? If you can use it multiple times I could then use it to my advantage every time an attack hasn’t gone in my favour?
To me, a failed attack is part of the game. There must be hundreds of games that I’ve lost because of a failed attack. I’ve probably won hundreds due to failed attacks. Again, it’s part of the game.
The issue is with those players who attack when they really shouldn’t. And this isn’t a solution to dissuade that sort of play. It would probably encourage it.
I’d rather there was a way of determining who those players are so I can avoid playing with them.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Matty wrote:
maafi
Would you still get a card?
If you’ve traded, do you get your cards back? If so, what happens if you had 5 cards and had to trade?
dough_boy
Would it be worthwhile to have a "reset" turn button that would put it back the way it was at the start of my attacking turn (after I placed my troops) and then my turn would be over and half* of all of my troops would be removed?
This means that you won't get your cards back (as you already placed them) and you won't get a new card (as you haven't occupied a single territory).
* rounded up or down is something we can discuss - I'd say round down all territories with 4+ troops.

maafi
How often could you use it? Could you use it on DM or domination games? If so, and you can only use it once, how do define when the right occasion is? If you can use it multiple times I could then use it to my advantage every time an attack hasn’t gone in my favour?
As often as you like (note: your troops will be halved) and without restrictions (once that button is enabled). Whenever the player feels like it's the right time to use it.
If you can think of a way to abuse this button in your favour, please tell me how.

maafi
To me, a failed attack is part of the game. There must be hundreds of games that I’ve lost because of a failed attack. I’ve probably won hundreds due to failed attacks. Again, it’s part of the game.
To me this is the worst part of the game. Why can't we change the game a little and improve it?

maafi
The issue is with those players who attack when they really shouldn’t. And this isn’t a solution to dissuade that sort of play. It would probably encourage it.
I’d rather there was a way of determining who those players are so I can avoid playing with them.
I do this too and so do you.
The problem is that if you wait untill you have a 99% chance to win, you wait too long.
The other problem is that even if you do wait untill you have a 99% chance to win, and the others let you wait that long, there's still that 1% where you can screw up and hand the game for free to the next player - regardless of whether or not he played well.
dough_boy wrote:
I am fine if it is a purchase, or maybe it only appears after you have completed X games, etc. No card for doing it, troops placed stay where are, but are halved, etc.

I would cut in half and round up. So 1=1, 2=1, 3=2, 4=2, 5=3, etc. You don't want to weaken someone too bad that it makes them an easy target. The only question would be capitals I think. If you lose half of your troops, maybe it should set your capital to the minimum start? Maybe this could be abused by people? If someone attacks me, weakens my cap to say 2 and it is my turn and with my turn I can only get it to 5 maybe I could gamble on the button that would set my cap to say 12. This might be the only time I can think where it might have an advantage, but really is only in the case where someone weakened you too much.

Maybe the button would be on the far left (under where it says "back to attack phase";) so it is out of the way of things?

It also would be another data point. So you could see it as a positive (someone realizes they messed up so good playmanship), or as a negative (they do it alot and are reckless).
dough_boy wrote:
Had two more capital games where essentially it was a roll of the dice and it killed me and handed the game to someone else. One of them was done by a veteran/pro who left their capital to attack mine 26 against 30. Even if they had killed me they would have gotten only 15 armies. They lost 16:26. I then turned around and killed them (they only had 1 on their capital), but still, I am so weak the next person after me will have their capital plus cash for double the armies I have on mine and they will run the board...guaranteed. Only because someone made a horrible decision (even if they killed me they would have been killed by this other person).

Maybe I just shouldn't bother playing capitals anymore.
aeronautic wrote:
I have thought of a few pitfalls and abuse possibilities in just the few minutes reading this thread.

The problem of ruining a game is most apparent in Capitals due to only 1 territory requiring overrunning to take out a player and get their (loaded) territories & cards.
I believe that it is mostly isolated to new players and a few random players failing to account for pre-attack strength against gain.

The Reset Button only stands to allow continuation for a targeted player if your legitimate attack fails due to poor dice, it WILL NOT help anyone in most cases as above, as they will not (a) be able to use the Reset (b) know how or why to Reset (c) be aware that they have done anything wrong.
It also still potentially ruins the game putting you at half strength especially if the targeted player is not next in the turn order.
It is also open to abuse because a player can attempt an insufficient attack and if lady-luck doesn't assist, they can sacrifice their self for their buddy (next to play)... The Reset button will allow cheats to hide behind legitimate intention!

You can eliminate most of the problems experienced in Capitals games with a tutorial page which opens whenever you create or join a Capitals game, with a {Continue to Game} or {Skip} button for those that already know.
It will need to highlight important facts such as "Lose your Capital and you are out" and overlooked facts such as "leaving 1 troop behind in every territory en route to the Capital" as well as "expecting to lose what you kill".
It will also need to highlight - checking what the current Card Exchange value is and whether it will be enough to either protect your Capital or to place and conquer another Capital.

I think a failed attack due to unlucky dice is just part of the game and it happens with real dice as much as virtual dice.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.