Reputation score value
  • 31 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
Hoodlum wrote:
Attendance scores should matter,(these are just my thoughts as a player, not a staff member)

I have a pretty bad connection, but 3 minutes is usually enough time for me to re-connect. If it seems particularly bad on a given day, i will avoid 3 minute turns, and definitely wont play a game that isn't a 2p game.

My assessment on Attendance scores

around 95 score = probably just a bad connection. Took a holiday.

around 85 score = a player who regularly leaves games when losing.

-80 score = not a serious player, maybe doesnt have home internet.

What could make a player value their attendance score? restrictions perhaps?

Restriction ideas, Live Games.

-95 restricted from hosting or playing 3 minute turns (It's not the end of the world, but maybe 3 minute turns isn't going to be enough time for you)

-90 restricted from hosting or joining 3 minute turns, limited to 3 live games a day. (you can still improve your score, 2 player games will do it! can always use more 2 player games with longer turn times for new players to join)

-85 restricted from hosting or joining 3 minute turns, limited to 3 live game a day. Restricted from playing 2+ player games. (If your score is this low, then live games aren't for you, and not for others whose games you will ruin. At least, 2 player games, the opponent is going to benefit with a win on your missed turns)

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
I have seen similar ideas, and usually they where a premium option where you could stop ppl with a score lower than X from joining your games.

The problem with restricting ppl who miss turns from 3 minute games is that the other ppl in games they join now have to wait 10 minutes rather than 6.

How do others think about this? Should a restriction be that hard?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
Other than brand new sign ups. most live players dread the 5 min 7 minute turn time unless it's like a rare setting like a 2 player game on a big map. A new player will soon feel the same if he sticks around. I think that that after a while, players (regular players at least) will assume that games that aren't 3 minutes, are probably players who have poor attendance (if there were these type of restrictions implemented). This would alert me to check the players profile before joining, whereas, I probably only look at a players attendance score, after a missed turn and go ahhh.
PsymonStark wrote:
But that would discourage using 5 or 7 min even more! More 3 min games would appear even for the maps or options that need 5+ min. The predominance of 3 min is quite excessive, to the point of some players that won't join a game with 5 min turns. Many don't seem to understand that turns can be equally fast if players keep moving, and only in some occasions the extra 2 min can be used to think harder about a specific move.

And also, to miss one turn in 20 games seems too harsh for a limit, in my opinion. Especially for players that do nothing wrong, and just have bad connection. I think that we should focus on limiting time abusers, strategic turn-missers or quitters, which are more frustrating to find in a game.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
Well here is an example of what just happened now in the live game room which is frustrating. I'm playing, im starting to get the advantage in a 2p game, and my opponent decides to give up. instead of playing the game out, or resigning, he's still active on the site, probably waiting for the game to finish so he can start the next game. Yup, true to form, I check his attendance, and it is 86. Although I am a premium member, i can just play another live game, but if I wasn't a prem, ugh the disrespect he's given me and the waiting before i can play another live game myself. This player dont care about his attendance, there is nothing restricting him from continuing to do this. starts to lose, goes to the beach. I'd be satisfied that this player couldn't join 3 minute games and he can endure joining 5 - 7 minute turns only, till he starts to appreciate attendance.

and if anything, i think there will be more 5 minute turns being hosted, because these poor attendancers :) will still come back. there's no other better live play risk alternative out there, unless they lots of ads..
Matty wrote:
I agree that there should be restrictions for ppl with low attendance scores. I'm not sure if that means they have to play 5 or 7 min turns.

Probably better to fend them out of premium member's live games or force them to play 2 player only.

On another note:
Also an idea is to give substract extra attendance score to ppl who miss both turns consecutively (rather than just a random turn somewhere) - especially if they started the previous turn, did nothing and ran out of time.

Edit: If someone is restricted to a 2 player game AND he still misses two turns, than he should lose more points (tokens?) or something.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Antonis_xania wrote:
You can add an option in the report button like "missing turns on purpose".

The example Hood gives in his previous post is very common, someone joins a 2p game, he is not doing well and leaves without resigning.
Another form of punishment could be that after a warning he is not allowed to play live games for 2-3 days.
And of course i agree that premium members should have the option to set an attendance score for joining in their game like a point score but not more than 95 or 90.

But there should be a different dealing to the players that do this in purpose and to those that really miss their turns from bad connection or another reason.

Also (not very relevant) in team games a player should be able to add time even if it is his teamates turn

Hoodlum wrote:
team games...i've had quite a few recent live games with opponents missing turns, leaving their partner to struggle. low attendance players should probably be restricted from joining live team games.
PsymonStark wrote:
@Hoodlum, I understand that this can be frustrating, but I am quite sure that many players don't even know that there is a resign button. With the perk of not having to wait for the game to end if there is only 2p!
Hoodlum wrote:
im very tolerant of new players doing it, that's to be expected. It's happening with regular live 2p game players, which i play a lot of. And they have resignations on their stats. Bad sports. This problem is a reason I stick to quick games, like 2p, or sametime games in the live room. I will rarely play a 4+ player consec game unless I know the players. Like antonis, i can tolerate, bad play, suicides on my own game.therefore i can get an idea of who i choose to play and what games I will play with them. i'd like to put an attendance point restriction on my settings. I just feel that there needs to be some value with the attendance reputation score which is the most accurate rep score there is, so that these players can or will have to change this care less attitude about missing turns.
elysium5 wrote:
This is something that could also be used to affect token value. You should need to use tokens to create a live game for non-premium members. Also, you should lose more tokens for missing a turn.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
aeronautic wrote:
Hoodlum
i'd like to put an attendance point restriction on my settings
I think that would be the best solution to this problem.
People who have abused the game and disrespected their opponents will be the guys under 80 attendance (missing 20% of turns, definitely not bad connection players), so if players who have had to endure these time wasters set their minimum to 80, the abusers wouldn't get to play with them anymore until they changed their attitude and started increasing their game attendance.

elysium5
Also, you should lose more tokens for missing a turn.
This too would make them realise that attendance and fair play isn't a joke.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
badbug wrote:

Yes. Yes. Yes. 

I used to constantly report people for skipping their turns purposely but have essentially given up on it due to the giant waves of turn skippers ceaselessly washing away the shores...

I still report occasionally because turn skipping is just so rude it really makes me angry, but most of the time whatever moderator comes along, that moderator seems to automatically want to assume it's some type of connection problem.   Funny how these connection problems only happen after someone loses a big battle trying to break a region or hold one.

Turn skipping should be treated as super serious. 

I think players should be encouraged more to report turn skippers, people with attendance scores of 60-70 below should just be terminated after a certain amount of games......say 100.

If you are still skipping turns at a 10 percent clip after 100 games you should just not be able to ruin it for everyone else.

I like the idea of 3 minute turns being reserved for people with good attendance scores. Perhaps also, maybe new players should only get to skip one turn until they are considered having resigned......and players with low attendance scores also.

Boot them quicker. Ban them quicker. Report them more often!

PsymonStark wrote:
aeronautic - Oct 5, 12:28 AM
People who have abused the game and disrespected their opponents will be the guys under 80 attendance (missing 20% of turns, definitely not bad connection players)...
I just want to point out that 80 attendance doesn't mean missing 20% of turns, but missing at least one turn in 20% of games. Not that it is much better... but it's not the same to miss a turn every 5 games, than one every 5 turns!
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Pop94 - Nov 11, 11:25 PM
I think I have good solution for players with bad attendance.
I think that players with attendance under 95 should have 2:30 instead 3:00 minutes to play.
Players under 90 attendance to have 2 minutes for turn.
Players under 85 1:30 minutes.
And players under 80 attendance to have only 1 minute for taking turn.

It would force players to take their turns more frequently, and if they dont, we would wait for them less.

Maybe this would not be that great, as it then makes it even easier for a poor attender to miss a turn, ruining yet more games. Also, how on earth is someone with an attendance under 80 going to make a kill in a large map with only 1 minute (added time would definitely be used up) if this system was used? Poor attendance shouldn't in my opinion make that player have an unfair disadvantage within a game, just a disadvantage in joining a game (e.g. players can set attendance limits on games they create).
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).