All out option
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Dferguson wrote:
I recently have been playing on a touch screen and don't even attempted live games because 3-5-7 minutes is often not enough time for a game changing attack. Is there a possibility of programming an attack feature that you put limits on the attack feature? Ex keep attack until my attacking army is down to 5 or 6 or 7 etc. or just a feature that will a certain amount of times in a row, ex attack 4 times or 5,6... Etc.

Does that make sense? I think it will speed up game play especially for those with touch screens. And to make sure people don't attack with all their men by accident make that a double or triple safety... Click on the option for (attack +) Input the numbers (are you sure) yes ( press attack to follow through). This will help when playing in a cap game and turn ins are up over 20.

Thoughts?
Vexer wrote:
It's been on the list for 3+ years but there always seems to be something more important to work on.
tramadol wrote:
I like the idea and if implemented, I hope that the current single attack roll is also kept?

I do however see one small problem with multiple attacks in groups, that is when people's computers don't refresh and they reclick it... in the case of intending to allocate 'x' troops from a cap for attack without dropping your cap to a figure that can be overrun, if that figure is doubled due to a reclick that didn't show/refresh and all the rolls were against you, then you will have just suicided / ruined the game without intending to.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Vexer said: "there always seems to be something more important to work on."

I believe that this change is very important!! Once I only lost because I ran out of time when my opponent only had about 3 territories left, then someone else took his cards and swept up.
I believe this is more important and more easily and instantly implemented than, for example, a new Live Game page.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
You have an add time button...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Virtuosity98 - Jun 23, 03:29 PM
I believe this is more important and more easily and instantly implemented than, for example, a new Live Game page.
Do not understand the amount of things involved with this. Implementing this is far from trivial and you have to consider all kinds of cases. What happens if one of the players runs out of troops? We also have to think whether we can just perform a lot of attacks without overloading the server, and if not, how do we take care of the logging? There are many technical things we have to think about, and like Matty said, there is already the add time button in place to solve the problem you are talking about.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
cbt711 wrote:
An option that will be hated but is available on the Hasbro Risk program / app / PC game, is "all out" where it just applies the random % to the entire fight all at once.

Don't think this would be a good idea though, just much easier to program.
Sygmassacre wrote:
The main problem is 3min turns. I would always play 5min turns but few of the better players will join for fear of waiting longer for someone to time out. A valid reason for sure but it leaves less time for rethinking strategy mid-turn which leads to more rash decisions (of which I too am guilty). But the main reason I would prefer this length is the running out of time factor, for sure
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Matty wrote:
That's why I always play 7 minute turns if I play live.

But then if I ever play live I only invite players I know and they'll take their turns fast (unless they have to think hard, but that's how I like it), and they won't time out.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
tramadol wrote:
I wish we could always use the 5 or 7 minute turns, but it is the old problem of guys constantly missing turns, especially the ones who miss every other turn and are still in the game to hold it up further. This also leads to frustration and rash decisions.
I think if the proposed boot for 2 missed turns in 10 rounds is implemented, then I will have no problem running all games 5+ minutes and "me ol' mate" Sygma can have an easier time on his smart phone whilst still pulling pints down-under!
Back on topic... In this case, I don't see it being much better or worse if implementing the group attacks, apart from (better) making it easier to think and attack in a 3 minute game & (worse) the thing about refresh and unintended attacks I mentioned above.
Vexer wrote:
Don't forget about the idea that you have 2 minutes to start your turn and 1, 3 or 5 minutes to finish it. I'll wait until Cireon codes the 'changed my mind I do want to trade cards button' though because that way you can start your turn and be able to safely hide the trade cards box while you think about it.

I'm not sure we decided on kicking players who miss 2 turns in ten rounds. I thought it was 3 turns.
Sygmassacre wrote:
How about making it 5 minutes for an add time regardless of which timer option is chosen in live games
 Σ
Matty wrote:
@Sygmassacre. I've been thinking about that one before, and then it slipped my mind somehow.

I have a todo that does things around that code. Won't do anything for a week or so, but I'll put it on my todo list this time, so with a bit of luck I can do this somewhere close (though for 7 min turns you'll still get 7 mins extra time).

Thanks for the reminder, this is the best solution so far unless we get the system Vexer is talking about, but that might take a (very long) while.
Also, if the amount of add timers is too low to play a decent live game, tell us.
Sygmassacre wrote:
What's the setting now? One extra every 5 rounds? I haven't actually thought to count before
 Σ
Matty wrote:
It differs for increasing and fixed (not sure where capped is), but I believe 1 more every 10 rounds for increasing games.