Punishment for Rule Breakers
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Clarke wrote:
In the last 27 hours I have had 3 capitals games ruined by Suiciders. All three games have been reported. 1 has been reversed and the other 2 still under review.

In all 3 games the violator, for various reasons, left their Capital exposed with only a 1 and allowed themselves to be beaten.

In one game I was doing so well and had such a huge lead, that the violator said he did it because "If I can't win I want to be the one who decides who wins". He also said "I am giving my brothers a chance to stand up to tyranny".

Anyway, here is my suggestion to fight this problem:

Anyone who does anything in a Capital game that causes the game to be reversed shall suffer the following punishments:

First offense: 48 hour Capital Game ban and written warning of offense
Second offense: 30 day Capital Game ban
Third offense: Lifetime Capital Game ban

If it is impossible to ban someone from Capital games only, then give them temporary bans from D12 altogether...

Something MUST be done. I have lost for sure 140 points in the game I mentioned above and perhaps more if I had won the 2 other games.

Your thoughts???
Cireon wrote:
I have to say I am not opposed to having capitals bans. However, I have the feeling the problem is not solved by this. I think there are also people that do not understand how capitals work and they are not always to blame for that. Not everyone likes to read all manuals before playing a new game mode.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Clarke wrote:
Its one thing if a new player who is a basic rank and not many games under their belt.

In 2 of the 3 cases that occurred to be in the last day the players were higher ranked.
Vexer wrote:
I have no problem with having the option to ban a player from capitals games. An admin will decide whether or not the player is new and confused or not following the play to win rule--and I trust their judgement.
SpamFree wrote:
I'd have to say, as someone who plays capitals most of the time, I dislike this idea.

There are so many other things Admins have to contend with, I think this is a petty annoyance expanded to huge proportions.

One man's suicide is another's all-or-nothing, last hope, hail Mary play.

Be more selective of the noobs that you play or continue to find the bad apples. There is the option to set minimum points on games, use it.

New stricter rules only punish everyone. You can't fix stupid. Even duct tape can't fix stupid (though it can tape it out of the way for awhile). Social darwinism will exclude chronic "suiciders" without the need for new rules and more hassle for Admins.

elysium5 wrote:
Sometimes it is very clear when a player ruins a game. Unfortunately, SpamFree, a lot of our time is taken up looking into games because of, as you rightly put it, "One man's suicide is another's all-or-nothing, last hope, hail Mary play."

One of my biggest issues is the same few 'experienced' players who report game after game after game because they don't like these other players 'bad strategies.' My issue is not with the players who report the games as they have a right to do so if they feel the game was ruined. My issue is the amount of time spent on figuring out play by play if the game needs to be reversed or trying to explain repeatedly to new players who join for free, play a few games and never come back.

However, you did just give me an idea...as you said there is the option to set minimum points on games.

'Experienced' players should understand and be able to deal with the 'noob' factor if they create or join games that do not have a minimum point setting on a game and if they don't like it, they should not play them.

I think that while we should still accordingly deal with players who break any of the rules (they should still be reported no matter if they are new or not), we should not reverse points in games that have no restrictions. Deciding whether points should be reversed takes a lot of time and is not always cut and dry.

In summation, I like the idea of banning a player from playing games when they obviously are trying to ruin the game. It's the same logic as a chat ban; break chat rules and your chat is restricted accordingly. But I also like the idea of not having to repeatedly micro-inspect games that players could easily avoid, especially when they know full well when they play games like this it is going to happen repeatedly.

Play games like this and take your chances knowing points won't be reversed. Knowing that, maybe we can increase the amount of games that have restrictions so serious players can play with other serious players and new players who want to be a part of the serious playing community will have to play well and play to win to get the points needed to join these games.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
BrewDog wrote:
I think the Admins and Mods should be able to watch a fast forward slide show of the game in question instead of reading the log. That way you could watch the entire game in a couple of minutes and move back and forth between slides.
lifeinpixels wrote:
I think I've asked about that idea before, Brewdog, but I don't remember what the response was. How hard would it be for the programmers to make a feature where players can play back each game, move by move? You could even make a setting for each press of the button to advance the game by one dice roll, one full attack, or one full turn.
Matty wrote:
It's not doable in a few days, will take a week, and I must have sufficient spare time in that week.

I think its comparible with doing team games.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Sygmassacre wrote:
I'm excited at the prospect of having a playback feature as sometimes there is just too much in the log and you need to remember how many troops were on each territory, each turn, especially in long term games. It would be a great tool for improving ones skill and strategy no matter what level you are and can help with training examples for new players
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
aeronautic wrote:
Yes I agree, it was something I believe I also suggested in a previous thread about sorting out the problems in D12. There is just too much for admin to track through the game log and it doesn't ever give a true picture of what occured before what can now be seen as the outcome, which is just not a representation of the events leading up to it.
LOL like all suggestions, they get considered/implemented when the right people discuss (re-suggest) them!
You would only need a Rewind Button which goes back 1 player's turn at a time, the rest can be seen from the log.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
bluebird005vis wrote:
Perhaps Clarke could start by not suiciding himself?
Have a look at this : http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=258848
If we follow Clarke's suggestion he should be banned.
Clarke wrote:
If there is a game in which 3 players remain, and only 1 of my 2 opponents is attacking me and the other is ignoring me, why is it considered suiciding if I decide to focus my attention on the only opponent who is attacking me???

That is the way I play. I tend to "ignore" opponents who are not attacking me and I tend to FOCUS on those who are attacking me most.

I am sorry if this is an unacceptable strategy. But now that everyone knows how I play, why not use it to your advantage? Simply ignore me until I focus my attention on one of our opponents and then you swoop in and win the game. Just make sure when to attack me, you can completely remove me from the game or you might become the new focus of my attention.

If someone says that is "revenge" and it is illegal I say this: Any game you have the first move, attack everyone else once. Then NOBODY can attack you back because it is revenge. Of course I am being sarcastic, but why should it be illegal to defend yourself against the opponent who seems to be focused on me???
Clarke wrote:
BTW - That game he referenced is NOT a capital game, so should not have been on this thread.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
Clarke, if you ask players to ignore you until the end of the game, you are asking them for giving you the victory.

The other point: what is "unacceptable" for you? Taking you out a bonus when you are leading the game? Attacking your biggest army when you have the chance to kill a player a get his cards?

I understand your strategy, but your answer should be reasonable and proportionated to what a fair game demands; otherwise you won't be taken seriously. Of course I know in some games you get frustrated and you can over-attack somebody who ruined your plans (at least it happens to me) but this "shouldn't" be your usual reply.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra