Why is this not an option?
  • 82 posts
  • Page 5 of 6
yip-yip97 wrote:
i promise you it takes max 10 minutes. i have used other softwares that allow it
jr502 wrote:
I am pretty sure I am just missing something that has already been said.  But why can't you just do initial placements with a tight timer of 15 seconds and some default placement of your troop if you don't meet the deadline? is that still too slow?
Cireon wrote:
I don't think our server could handle that tight of a timer. 15 seconds would include all the loading times and delays between client and server. Add to that you would have no time to think about the strategy to respond to the player just before you and I think 15 seconds is a really bad idea.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
jr502 wrote:
Thanks for the answer.  I'll offer one more thought. What if an OPTIONAL initial placement session does take a long, long time... but some people like it and don't mind how long it takes because it is just part of the game?  Forgive me if this has already been covered. 
jr502 wrote:
and I just want to say, I am not thinking "why don't these guys do it right?" I am thinking this is a great site and you all do so much so well. Which leads one to think....this is so great, they might even do this other thing, too! :)
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:
i think that's how we kill the spirit of the game.don't touch anything please
even if that happens please let it be in advanced settings
“Vital lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel delight until you play, can't know serendipity unless you risk.”
Banaan wrote:
Hi, of course I don't know how much programming work it all is.

But when it comes to making sure you don't spend weeks placing armies before you can get started.

Can you think if you add this option to the game. In life games, give the players 5 to 10 minutes to place their armies. In long term games, you can take a time block of 24 or 36 hours.

Everyone then has the opportunity to replenish their lands with armies up to a maximum of ?

However, every player should have the possibility to change his placement.
Until the time is up. Then the player can have an option to extend the time, this can only happen once for all players, with the same time that was before the army placement.

If a player has done nothing or a player has armies left. These will be placed automatically when the time is up.
Matty wrote:
But isn't that a huge advantage for the people who can be online a large amount of the time, and a huge disadvantage for those that only have 2 hours in a day where they can be online?

In a live game I could see it working, but long term, nope.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
ive been messing around with an open source code of a risk browser game. the territory initial placement i think works well. the code still gives you random territories however with only 1 on each. You get to place the remaining troops (whatever it calculates to be) to place anywhere.

This initial stage everyone takes like sametime mode, and it's fog. you only see your own placement. there isn't a timer for this phase, but the game starts as usual, in consecutive turn, when the last player places.
i think this would work here, although there would need to be a timelimit for the phase, probably the same timelimit chosen and some sort of autoplacement of 3's as we have now, for those players that might miss this phase.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Hmmm, placement in fog. That's an interesting one.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
vorple wrote:
I think this could be a good idea as an additional game mode option.

Way to do something similar in pseudo code (using a standard long term game as the example)

When setting up the game: (add the drop down menu in the UI set to 0 by default) (create a java method or whatever you code with on your backend)(likely js, jquery, or php id imagine)
if
troops = 0
then
proceed normal random game
else if
creator chooses how many troops players start with that is not 0
then
limit the total starting troop amount based on: the map total starting troop count/divided by the number of players
&&
limit the total number of territories their troops can occupy (this is tricky cuz someone could just place 1 troop and take up to many territories)(of course someone else could put all their troops in one territory and punish that as well)

When the game starts (once the final person has joined)
-allow everyone 24 hours to place their stack of troops. (Like how in the same turn games everyone can go at the same time first come first serve)(keep it fog).
when
placing troops if a territory is occupied so error msg "this territory is already claimed"
else
place troops
then
if
24 hours or everyone places all their troops
then
fill in remaining unclaimed territories randomly with troops
then
start the game as normal
periwinkle wrote:
Hoodlum
ive been messing around with an open source code of a risk browser game. the territory initial placement i think works well. the code still gives you random territories however with only 1 on each. You get to place the remaining troops (whatever it calculates to be) to place anywhere.

This initial stage everyone takes like sametime mode, and it's fog. you only see your own placement. there isn't a timer for this phase, but the game starts as usual, in consecutive turn, when the last player places.
i think this would work here, although there would need to be a timelimit for the phase, probably the same timelimit chosen and some sort of autoplacement of 3's as we have now, for those players that might miss this phase.

Yes, that's how they do it at another site called landgrab
dough_boy wrote:
vorple said (click to show)
My concern is that it would become first in and they could set the troops all in one region, 1s where needed rest stacked for defense.
dough_boy wrote:
periwinkle said (click to show)
How do you prevent someone from just dumping all on one territory? How do you make the game start at a decent time without placement? Can people change after they see what others have placed and where?