Idea for a game type
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Clarke wrote:
Okay so we all know about same time and consecutive game types. I have an idea for a third type one can choose when creating a game. I call it "turbo".

It is similar to same time in that all the players are making their moves at the same time. But it is different in a few ways that will really make it more of a true "same-time" game and hopefully resolve some of the complaint most have about the current same time games.

Here are the details:

Every round is exactly 90 seconds of game play. At the start of the round everyone gets the normal banner that says "Begin Turn" and the clock starts counting down from :30 seconds for everyone. In that 30 seconds everyone is making their reinforcements.

When the clock hits 0 another banner appears that says "Begin Attack Phase" for about 2 or 3 seconds. When the banner disappears everyone then has 30 seconds to do all of their attacking.

Then another banner appears for 2 or 3 seconds that says "Fortify". When the banner disappears you have 30 seconds to fortify.

So every round is 90 seconds of game play. No more people waiting around til the end of a 3 minute round to sneak attack someone.

If the developers would prefer 15 seconds to reinforce, 60 seconds to attack, and 15 seconds to fortify that is fine (or any other combination).

It will still require skill, planning, & cunning but it will also require quick thinking.

BTW - There will not be any rules about who attacks made in the last 5 seconds, or whoever finishes their turn last cant start the next round, etc... All of that is not necessary with this game plan.

One IMPORTANT point: for Turbo games the "add time" button is disabled. These games will go VERY quickly so if you can't focus and play without "extra time" then don't play turbo.

I have shared my idea in game chats with a few folks who do not like "same time" and they really like this idea.

I know the list of ideas and suggestions are long and there are limited resources but I figured I would share this see what folks think.
Cireon wrote:
This would however only work with live games and not with long term games. Also, as same time games are not even properly finished yet, I don't see this game type come into play for a very long time.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Clarke wrote:
Yes, you are correct about live vs. long term. Good catch.
marcoxa wrote:
we may not see it for awhile but i would love to see this made eventually.
ARES00 wrote:
What about making 90 sec move but when U wont to kill somebody in options U can click (killing time) and U will get 5 min it would be much faster games. When U kill somebody U get 1 extra (killing time)
Clarke wrote:
I really dont like that idea Ares00. This is an idea for a turbo game. If you cant kill the opponent during that round then you have to wait til the next round.

Hoodlum wrote:
The way you describe turbo risk, is how hasbro Sametime RISK 2 is programmed.

Reinforcement phase.

Battle order phase (It's fog, only you know what battle orders you did) You make unlimited attacks)

Battle round. All the battles take place. Order goes, 1 on 1 territory battles, then it would secondly do the battle orders of territories fought over by more than 2+ players. Then spoils of war (territory) goes to the overall victor, whomever likely fought with the most armies or best dice.

Then there was a tactical phase (unlimited adjacent)

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
TheMachiavelli wrote:
Having played a lot of Hasbro Sametime RISK 2, I personally much prefer the way sametime riks works here. Even if there is room for improvement (see thread on suggestions for sametime games).

Having said that, the surge attacks in Risk 2 sametime were fun (when they were yours. Brutal when they were someone else's).