If your capital is taken, you lose
  • 27 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
sfhbballnut wrote:
ok so this would be a new game type where each player starts the game with a specific territory as their "Capital". Players would be eliminated instantly if their Capital was taken. 

The Capital would start out extra fortified, around 10 troops I would think, and would be a predetermined territory on the map depending on which map and how many people are playing. This would ensure that capitals are far enough apart and that game would be balanced no matter how many people were playing. The rest of the territories would be divided up at random and start with 3 troops as always. 

when a player get eliminated by way of his Capital being taken, the player that eliminated him inherits his remaining troops, but the Capital is now worthless as all the troops are loyal to the player who made the kills Capital. 

This gametype would add a new level of strategy to the game as you would always need to be aware of and defend your capital. You could take the extra starting troops you get there and go on an attacking spree, but you run the risk of leaving your Capital open and losing it. It would also allow for week players to seize the opportunity of an undefended capital to get back in the game. 

There are several precise rules that need to be worked out, but in general what does everyone think?
-My name is Gladiator.
4myGod wrote:
I think it sounds good. I think the capital positions need to be very thought out. With the same amount of surrounding territories. If let's say someone had their capital in Australia then they could just fortify on siam and protect their capital and their continent bonus. Whereas someone else might have Asia, where it's nearly undefendable. So if we think of good capitals for each map I think it would be a great idea.
sfhbballnut wrote:
I see what you mean, I'll look into some preliminary ideas for where capitals would be, its going to get very busy on maps when you get into 8 player capitals games, but that's true for normal 8 player games, one or two people are eliminated quickly and it goes on from there. 

also it might work to give the capitals with tougher to defend positions a slightly better bonus. So inevitable wen there's a capital in Asia and Australia, Asia get 12 or 15 to Australia's 10. Won't let them be able to to hold asia necessarily but it should keep them alive
-My name is Gladiator.
4myGod wrote:
yeah it sounds like fun, if we can figure out the best place for capitals. I'd like to see what others think of the idea... no responses though?
skanska wrote:
I think its great, stf, if ur home this weekend I'll try to get in touch and we can sit down and fgure some of it out, but in the end, I think we ought to let all the current members vote when we've figured out the preliminary positions
chris wrote:
Sounds good to me. Seems like it would be complicated on normal maps, though. Might be easier to solicit maps for the gametype.

Well, of course I'm mad. It makes things a great deal more interesting.
sfhbballnut wrote:
in doing a test run of the gametype, we've come across a slight flaw. The situation of new players who do not understand the gametype and will not bother too check its rules will undoubtedly take their random extra bonus and use it as they see fit, most likely wasting or spreading it. A veteran player, familiar with the gametype will then be able to easily kill them, inherit their troops and have an advantage. 

This can be mended a bit by having a clear indication on each capital showing that it is different, but some people are still bound to screw things up. 
Thus I propose something of a growth program for the site. brand new members only have access to the basic set up, all the maps obviously and most gameplay option, but the specific gametypes and any other non noob friendly options be restricted until they complete a few games, then they get a messege saying that they unlocked new gametypes and they'll have some new toys to play with. 

Of course if there are eventually going to be payed accounts with advanced features that's also an option. (I suggest calling said accounts "Advanced" membership )

also I am working on preliminary options for where the capitals will be placed on each map and number of players and will post them as I complete them. 
-My name is Gladiator.
chris wrote:
I don't like the idea of paid accounts.

...of course that's because I don't have enough of a flow of money to get them. Free accounts for beta members?

4myGod wrote:
Yeah! It could be that perhaps they can purchase the different game types with their cash points (which are received after playing games). So cash points can purchase ranks and game types. This would make it so they can't afford or don't bother buying a gametype for a while, and when they do buy it they will most likely have read up on the gametype to see if it's worth buying. Cash points are not real money but game money. I think we will rename them to Tokens or something.

Beta members who participated as we asked will get a medal commending them and 1 year premium when we start premium, or 1 year Advanced account. I don't know what we will name it, Advanced does sound nice though.

Paid accounts sounds bad, however it's only a little money the same amount as "other sites." The money will mainly be going to maintaining the site. I plan to use the money to hire a programmer (faster updates), perhaps hire someone to lead map making (more professional maps), contests (happy users), upgrading the server (faster load speeds), advertising (more players), flash designer (better interface), etc.

So the money people spend on this site will go to make the site better. The more people spend, the better the site becomes.
sfhbballnut wrote:
yeah, you're right advanced doesn't sound as good, I was just looking for an alternative to premium, something specific for this site. 
-My name is Gladiator.
4myGod wrote:
lol, "Advanced does sound nice though"

There are many options, perhaps Advanced Membership, Star Membership, Supreme Membership, pretty much any word that implies a better membership than normal. Just have to think of the best.
4myGod wrote:
lol, "Advanced does sound nice though"

There are many options, perhaps Advanced Membership, Star Membership, Supreme Membership, pretty much any word that implies a better membership than normal. Just have to think of the best.
chris wrote:
2 posts? Might have found bug.

I guess there are definitely advantages to doing advanced accounts, as long as the normal accounts are worth having. It really bugs me when sites lock out most of the features to the normal members. I understand needing the money, but moochers have rights too.

If you're giving out tokens for playing games, though, what would an advanced account give over a normal one?

sfhbballnut wrote:
oh, lol, well I read that wrong, didn't think it sounded as good in the first place, but it is just whatever works best
-My name is Gladiator.
sfhbballnut wrote:
Preliminary Positions for Capitals: World Map
ok these territories are picked to make the game as fair as possible, typically I tried to avoid giving anyone too clear an advantage in a any territory set, so usually no borders are capitals, and each capital is close enough to each other so no one gets sandwiched in the middle.

2 player game
Kazakhstan
Western US

3 player
Ontario
Northern Europe
Mongolia

4 player
Quebec
Scandinavia
East Africa
China