this site is never dead
  • 11 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
thaithai wrote:
some members said that this site is about dead, i sure this site is never dead.in the past , only i and 4mygod were often online but this site is still alive, now we have good active members. why is this site dead.Some old members came back.now we only need a PHP grogrammer.Teck can do that.
k_w_cheng wrote:
To live forever, one needs to know how to create incentives. Not only the incentive to players, but incentive to map creators and programmers. Players is the easiest group to please as they came with incentive. Some of them equipped with creativity (map creation) as they have been playing the game for a long time. The programmer, therefore, is the toughest group to please. They needs to be rewarded monetarily.
That's why this site needs to charge a fee. To charge a fee to play, players have much higher expectations than a free game. Few things, I care the most:
1) whether this site has a large amount of members
2) whether this site has some good maps (not necessarily large in terms of number)
3) Do you have good players who I can play with.
4) Event activities such as Tournament

The site's owners need to think of strategies on how they can keep old players and attract new players. If the old players keep leaving, that's a sign of something for improvements.
Vexer wrote:
It seems to me that there are more people online now then there has been in the past. This is still a new site. I personally have not even been promoting it. There are a few things that need to be done and then I will feel comfortable introducing the site to new players. If you look at things with a more long term perspective this site still has more potential than any other site. It's just taking a long time to get going. But once all of our ideas are implemented and we have even more maps, this will be the best risk site period. Everyone just needs to hang in there.

But the site has only half of what it needs. We have been putting out new maps regularly for awhile now but we definitely need a programmer. Teck seems to only have time to take care of server issues.

Cheng has it right. What would keep the old players around would be implementing all of the ideas we have talked about in the forum and we can attract more new players when we make all the maps free.

It's very improbable to find a programmer who is as into the site as I am and who would volunteer as much time as I do. A simple and quick solution would be to hire someone, like Cheng suggested. Teck is already putting money into the server each month so i don't know if he would be willing to put out even more money on a programmer. So either we need to get lucky and find a volunteer or get lucky and find someone who wants to fund a programmer. Otherwise it's just going to take a long time to move forward. But we will move forward regardless.
Vexer wrote:
i personally wouldn't pay a programmer by the hour. it would take them several hours for the first couple of features they add just to get acquainted with the site's code and structure. i would pay them by the project to avoid getting screwed by hiring a programmer who takes 10 hours to do something that should only take 1 hour.

I personally would pay someone $100 to fix the timer to reset to 5 minutes after a player is killed, have the amount of time increase after each turn in to be 5 min + turn in value for increasing games, and add multiple attack buttons like attack 3 times, 10 times and a max attack button. That's how badly I want this feature. They wouldn't make very much per hour on this first feature because of the time it takes to get familiar with someone else's site. but if I were to pay $100 for each subsequent feature then they would start making decent money per hour because they would get faster each time.

The problem is finding a programmer who is good enough, trustworthy enough and knows risk enough to do the job properly. I have asked the only guy I know that meets this description but he is already working non stop on 3 other sites.

If anyone knows a programmer that meets this description and is interested let me know. This person would have to be interviewed by me and also approved by Teck. Also, I have not yet asked Teck about this so I don't know how he feels on the subject.
Pntbttr wrote:
WOW that is a lot of money.....for me anyway......I actually don't know anybody who knows how to program...........
Paddlin wrote:
The people who have kept this site going are Fendi and Vexer. I feel especially indebted to Fendi who has spent a great deal of time building up the community of players here and put up with multiple complaints. She has done a great job as Admin and we are very fortunate to have her in that position. 

Vexer has spent a lot more time behind the scenes ensuring that we have great maps. These two have undoubtedly kept this site alive. When I made the comment, I made it out of frustration that live games were sparse. 

Kudos to those two holding this site together. If it wasn't for them, it would probably just be ThaiThai lingering around. 

Thanks Fendi and Vexer. It's been fun playing so many games here. 
Vexer wrote:
Lucide has voiced his interest in helping out with some programming. Also, Teck is working on 4 issues right now. It's slow going but we will get updates. Also, we have 40 more active members now than we had in the summer. It seems not only are there plenty of live games going, but every time i log in to do work on the site i get slammed with invites to live games. So it's far from dead. it's growing.