• 23 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
DreamStreet wrote:
Is anyone here into the World Cup? It is starting next week, and I am curious about all of your predictions and what you think is going to happen?

As for me, knowing almost all facts about every team, having watched soccer for years, and having followed every big team throughout the past couple years, these are my predictions:

Group A:
1. Netherlands
2. Qatar
3. Senegal
4. Ecuador

Group B:
1. England
2. Iran
3. Wales
4. USA

Group C:
1. Argentina
2. Mexico
3. Poland
4. Saudi Arabia

Group D:
1. Denmark
2. Tunisia
3. Australia
4. France

Group E:
1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Japan
4. Costa Rica

Group F:
1. Belgium
2. Croatia
3. Morocco
4. Canada

Group G:
1. Brazil
2. Serbia
3. Switzerland
4. Cameroon

Group H:
1. Uruguay
2. Portugal
3. Ghana
4. South Korea

Round of 16:
Netherlands beats Iran
Argentina beats Mexico
Spain beats Croatia
Brazil beats Portugal
Qatar beats England (on penalties, after a game that gets out of control with one English player being sent off, and tons of fouls and cards. The refs slightly favor Qatar).
Denmark beats Mexico
Germany beats Belgium (on penalties)
Serbia beats Uruguay

Quarterfinals:
Netherlands beats Argentina
Brazil beats Spain
Denmark beats Qatar
Serbia beats Germany (on penalties)

Semifinals:
Netherlands beats Brazil
Denmark beats Serbia (on penalties)

Third Place:
Brazil beats Serbia

Final:
Netherlands beats Denmark

Winner: Netherlands
Runner Up: Denmark
Third Place: Brazil
Fourth Place: Serbia

What do you all think? Anyone Excited?
maafi wrote:
I’m looking forward to the World Cup though it’s weird it’s happening at the time of year and in Qatar of all places.
My prediction of who will qualify from the groups:
Group A - Netherlands & Senegal
Group B - England & Wales
Group C - Argentina & Poland
Group D - France & Denmark
Group E - Spain & Germany
Group F - Belgium & Croatia
Group G - Brazil & Switzerland
Group H - Uruguay & Portugal

The winner will be either Brazil, France or Spain but probably Brazil
Dark horses: Germany, Argentina and Netherlands.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Matty wrote:
Oh yeah, the Netherlands will totally win that thing.

I'm not saying that because it's realistic (it probably isn't), but because that's where I'm from. B|
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Madagascarter wrote:
Group A:
1. Netherlands
2. Ecuador
3. Qatar
4. Senegal

Group B:
1. England
2. USA
3. Iran
4. Wales

Group C:
1. Mexico
2. Argentina
3. Poland
4. Saudi Arabia

Group D:
1. France
2. Denmark
3. Tunisia
4. Australia

Group E:
1. Germany
2. Japan
3. Costa Rica
4. Spain

Group F:
1. Belgium
2. Morocco
3. Croatia
4. Canada

Group G:
1. Brazil
2. Switzerland
3. Serbia
4. Cameroon

Group H:
1. Portugal
2. South Korea
3. Uruguay
4. Ghana

R16

Netherlands 3 VS 0 USA
Mexico 2(W) VS 2 Denmark
Germany 6 VS 2 Morocco
Brazil 3 VS 1 South Korea
England 2 VS 0 Ecuador
France 1 VS 1 (W) Argentina
Belgium 2 VS 1 Japan
Portugal 3 VS 1 Switzerland

QF

Netherlands 0 (W) - 0 Mexico
Germany 2 - 2 (W) Brazil
England 0 - 2 Argentina
Belgium 1 - 2 Portugal

SF

Netherlands 2 - 3 Brazil
Argentina 1 - 0 Portugal

Final

Brazil 1 - 2 Argentina

Runners Up

Netherlands 2 - 0 Portugal 

Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
DreamStreet wrote:
Matty
Oh yeah, the Netherlands will totally win that thing.

I'm not saying that because it's realistic (it probably isn't), but because that's where I'm from. B|

I am NOT from the Netherlands, and actually think they will win it. They have the best defense heading in to the tournament, and one surprise is that De Ligt supposedly is not even starting at the moment. I think that Louis Van Gaal is also the best coach for national teams in this World Cup, and he is capable of a huge masterclass despite not having the best team on paper.

Never forget Netherlands 2014. That team was not actually that good on paper and only had Sneijder, Robben, and Van Persie. Sneijder was aging and it was Van Persie's last good years as well. Their defense and midfield were a bunch of players that many of us have not even heard of prior to then coming from smaller clubs in the Eredivisie. Many experts did not expect much from that Dutch team and some predicted them to not even get out of their group with Spain and Chile advancing. The most optimism I saw was them advancing as runners up to Spain and going out to Brazil in the Round of 16.

Their clearly the team in the best form in Europe at least. They dominated their Nations League Group, and since LVG took over from Frank De Boer, they've become a completely different team. I really think the Dutch can surprise and win this thing! We'll see what happens.
DreamStreet wrote:
KC321
Not a chance that Denmark in runner up.

Denmark are a strong team. Did you watch them in Euro 2020? They were one of the best teams there and that was after the whole Eriksen incident with him not even featuring. They play very well as a team, and I think they might get luck with an easy path to the Final. What is weird about this World Cup is that most of the big teams will likely be in the other side of the bracket. If Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina, and Spain all win their groups, they will be on the other side of the bracket.
Matty wrote:
Who knows, would be fun. The biggest problem is that every time again people predict the Netherlands are going to win. No really, this time they will! So I'm a bit sceptical.

It is fun to see someone have more faith in my own team than I do, so thanks I guess B)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
I have always loved the world cup, but I don't keep up with soccer enough anymore to say anything, the last time I seriously followed stuff was like 2018 where I was rooting for croatia, and in 2014 I rooted for germany from the beginning. This year I have no idea, I agree with a lot of the things you are saying, netherlands has a good shot as far as I can see, brazil and argentina I still feel are overrated.
Eat my dust.
DreamStreet wrote:
Matty
Who knows, would be fun. The biggest problem is that every time again people predict the Netherlands are going to win. No really, this time they will! So I'm a bit sceptical.

It is fun to see someone have more faith in my own team than I do, so thanks I guess B)

To be honest, I don't remember any World Cup where the Netherlands were actually strong favorites to win by most people. They definitely were not in 2014, and some people expected them to exit early. In 2010, they were one of the favorites, but I think Brazil, Spain, and Germany were stronger favorites.

The fact is, very often a surprise team wins the tournament. As an Italy fan myself, I'll never forget 2006. We were not at all favorites to win that tournament, despite having a stacked team. Many of our players were underperforming at club level prior to the World Cup and not having the best season, and the team itself did not look super promising before the tournament started. Italy was ranked #13 before it started, and teams like: France, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Czech Republic, and the Netherlands were all favorites above us. Possibly even Spain, England, and Portugal.

I could see something similar happening this tournament!
DreamStreet wrote:
pygmyhippo277
I have always loved the world cup, but I don't keep up with soccer enough anymore to say anything, the last time I seriously followed stuff was like 2018 where I was rooting for croatia, and in 2014 I rooted for germany from the beginning. This year I have no idea, I agree with a lot of the things you are saying, netherlands has a good shot as far as I can see, brazil and argentina I still feel are overrated.

Brazil and Argentina have looked very strong, but the thing is they have only been playing teams from CONMEBOL recently, and I highly believe that CONMEBOL is at its weakest state it has been for a while. Uruguay is decent but is not as good as before. The rest of the South American Teams are completely lost compared to 4-8 years ago. The good days of teams like Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, and Peru are gone for now. I believe this has made it easier for Brazil and Argentina to look more dominant throughout the qualifiers.
MacEohaid wrote:
Group A:
Netherlands beats Ecuador
Group B:
USA beats England
Group C:
Mexico beats Argentina
Group D:
Denmark beats France
Group E:
Germany beats Spain
Group F:
Belgium beats Canada
Group G:
Brazil beats Switzerland
Group H:
Uruguay beats South Korea

Quarter
Netherlands beats USA
Denmark beats Mexico
Germany beats Belgium
Brazil beats South Korea

Semi
Netherlands beats Denmark
Brazil beats Germany

Final
Brazil beats Netherlands

maafi wrote:
Yep. Wasn’t expecting that. And I had Martinez in goal in my WC fantasy football team :(
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk