• 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
God_of_War wrote:
I ponder this too much.. but why does it take so many of you so damn long to take a turn in long-term games..

It's not like it takes hours to dissect a board to make a move... This is just like shooting pool.. you see the layout, see the possibilities and take your shot.

One of the worst things on this site is waiting and waiting and waiting some more. 

If anyone was actually serious about playing this game with more passion, that time limit per turn would have 12 hours as an option so the serious players that want to see games move along can play in them. 

And I get it... I don't have to join 24 or 36 hour timed games... but these are the only options for long-term you have. Thus I suggest adding in 12 hour so those whom want to be actively engaged, can be actively engaged and not have to wait for those whom are not. If you need a suggestion on what to remove... remove 7 min turn games.

Thanks
Hi there!
AlexCheckMate wrote:
This is what you're looking for:

https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/3385/same-timezone-games/post/68286#post-68286

I guess this topic is best to also continue there, as a suggestion?

For me, personally, I would like to add 48h games... or 72h. If it feels like things aren't moving fast enough, another option would be to just play in even more games simultaneously?

That said, though I don't see myself playing any 12h games, I'm not opposed to getting this option too.
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
God_of_War wrote:
AlexCheckMate

https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/3385/same-timezone-games/post/68286#post-68286

For me, personally, I would like to add 48h games... or 72h. If it feels like things aren't moving fast enough, another option would be to just play in even more games simultaneously?

That said, though I don't see myself playing any 12h games, I'm not opposed to getting this option too.

I don't think it has anything to do with timezones... 12 hour games would stilll give anyone 12 hours no matter where you live in the world. 

And it's not even the 24 or 36 hour turn times... it's watching opponents log-in multiple times and DO NOTHING .  Just make your move and get on with it... We all know what the "turn page" looks like.. it puts them in order of time left.. so log-in and complete those where it is your turn. If people want to take the full 24 or 36 hours... I don't have a problem with that.. but then don't log-in multiple times and do nothing.... it just seems like some people are so oblivious. 

Anyway... maybe in a few years we will finally see 12 hour turns.... it's not like this isn't the 1st time this suggestion has ever been made. Just depends if anyone wants to act on it and if it is worth their time to implement it. 
Hi there!
AlexCheckMate wrote:
God_of_War
AlexCheckMate

I don't think it has anything to do with timezones... 12 hour games would stilll give anyone 12 hours no matter where you live in the world. 

And it's not even the 24 or 36 hour turn times... it's watching opponents log-in multiple times and DO NOTHING .  Just make your move and get on with it... We all know what the "turn page" looks like.. it puts them in order of time left.. so log-in and complete those where it is your turn. If people want to take the full 24 or 36 hours... I don't have a problem with that.. but then don't log-in multiple times and do nothing.... it just seems like some people are so oblivious. 

Anyway... maybe in a few years we will finally see 12 hour turns.... it's not like this isn't the 1st time this suggestion has ever been made. Just depends if anyone wants to act on it and if it is worth their time to implement it. 

Link goes to post #7 in the thread.

I'm online here a lot more, than that I'm actually playing/doing something here. So I guess if we were to be in a game right now, it could be quite possible I'd also annoy you with my pace.

Anyway, I have no beef with your suggestion; perfectly fine to see it happen. I just don't need it myself. It's good that you voice yourself :)
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
periwinkle wrote:
God_of_War
I ponder this too much.. but why does it take so many of you so damn long to take a turn in long-term games..

It's not like it takes hours to dissect a board to make a move... This is just like shooting pool.. you see the layout, see the possibilities and take your shot.

One of the worst things on this site is waiting and waiting and waiting some more. 

If anyone was actually serious about playing this game with more passion, that time limit per turn would have 12 hours as an option so the serious players that want to see games move along can play in them. 

And I get it... I don't have to join 24 or 36 hour timed games... but these are the only options for long-term you have. Thus I suggest adding in 12 hour so those whom want to be actively engaged, can be actively engaged and not have to wait for those whom are not. If you need a suggestion on what to remove... remove 7 min turn games.

Thanks

If I'm playing singles then yes, I take my turn rather quickly. But if I'm in a team game, it depends on the turn.  Typically if I'm breaking in a new teammate, I typically make sure the new teammate has checked in and seen the initial drop and we discuss strategy...this takes time. Also, when there is a possibility for a takeout or a possible run to win the game, or setting up for a run....then I want input from all my teammates so we analyze all strategies. My main partners are in Europe and western USA....so we are in different time zones and yes...sometimes we extend our time since sometimes real life gets in the way if we didn't get a chance to discuss.

I totally hear you tho....it's the anticipation that is killing you....perhaps burn off some extra energy? go for a run or get a punching bag?

God_of_War wrote:
periwinkle
God_of_War

Thanks

If I'm playing singles then yes, I take my turn rather quickly. But if I'm in a team game, it depends on the turn.  Typically if I'm breaking in a new teammate, I typically make sure the new teammate has checked in and seen the initial drop and we discuss strategy...this takes time. Also, when there is a possibility for a takeout or a possible run to win the game, or setting up for a run....then I want input from all my teammates so we analyze all strategies. My main partners are in Europe and western USA....so we are in different time zones and yes...sometimes we extend our time since sometimes real life gets in the way if we didn't get a chance to discuss.

I totally hear you tho....it's the anticipation that is killing you....perhaps burn off some extra energy? go for a run or get a punching bag?

Of course team games are different and that delay in understandable. 

Also, it should be required that emails get sent out when it is your turn with this option not available to turn it off for LT games.
Hi there!
Tennesseelogman wrote:
the site i moved here from also have a rating for "speed demons" and you could filter your games to those that take their turns in under an hour on average. it would not be a situation where you would have to complete your turn in 1 or 2 hours for every game, but it would indicate those who have the habit of taking their long term game turns more quickly
Live long and prosper
God_of_War wrote:
Tennesseelogman
the site i moved here from also have a rating for "speed demons" and you could filter your games to those that take their turns in under an hour on average. it would not be a situation where you would have to complete your turn in 1 or 2 hours for every game, but it would indicate those who have the habit of taking their long term game turns more quickly

OMG that sounds wonderful. As I would no doubt fall into that average below an hour. Even in the middle of the night when I wake up to take a piss, I will sometimes check my games to take my turns knowing someone across the world is possibly waiting for me to do so. 
Hi there!
2ofclubs wrote:
God_of_War
Tennesseelogman

OMG that sounds wonderful. As I would no doubt fall into that average below an hour. Even in the middle of the night when I wake up to take a piss, I will sometimes check my games to take my turns knowing someone across the world is possibly waiting for me to do so. 
Around the world? Its flat!
WRKD4IT
Matty wrote:
God_of_War
If you need a suggestion on what to remove... remove 7 min turn games.
I most certainly won't remove that. That option is there for people who normally do take their turns fast (you're playing a live game after all), but who occasionally want to think properly about a turn.
I personally like that in a risk game, people actually thinking things through. Having 7 minutes helps with not stressing and just take your time for those few turns that are really important.

I do agree that that option makes more sense when you know all people that join your game than that it does with random people.

God_of_War
And it's not even the 24 or 36 hour turn times... it's watching opponents log-in multiple times and DO NOTHING .
I guess these days I do this very often (well, if I'm actually in a game, I don't play as much anymore these days).

Because 'log in multiple times' doesn't mean I'm actively looking at d12, it just means I have the site open. It opens by default if I have my browser open. And I can put this browser open while being at work. So I can't play d12 (I'm at work after all), but it does show me as being on line.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria