a comparison
  • 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
farspaceplace wrote:
Lets face it Dominating12 is an internet game. We all heard people complaining "damn, lost my turn f internet". Now this is a site for many plys around the world and in dif parts of the country they live in...so how does the internet work for you?
i live in Copenhagen, Denmark capitol of a western euroupean country...cant complain really. You get 100 mb wifi reliable access per month for the prize of 2oo danish kroner Dkk (210 w VAT? its called i think) per month, which is about 35 US$ or about 18£ or so (havent checked the currency market recently). This a cheap offer that has only been availble for about a year or so, before it would be 300 dkk.
Even in the rural areas (yes we got them), the government have forced internet providers to bring access to all basically (of course it hasnt been so smooth over the years by far, but i think by now most people can get it almost anywhere for a relative cheap price).
The absolute minimum wage is about 105 Dkk pr hour, after taxes 65 Dkk, but even low end workers will normally earn at least 120 Dkk and often 140D kk pr hour. So that means (if u live in Copenhagen) u can get unlimited access (unless u have a family that tabs into the same account which they can as a wifi account, or u spend really much time on the net everyday watching movies or such) for 3.2 hours or work even on minimum salary.
Now i think we can all agree thats an ok deal, but how do other people on this site fair? Is your connection cheap/expensive? reliable/unreliable/? or what?
Bear in mind that I never use my phone for online traffic, only pc...(It think the cost for a month of free sms/8-10 hours talking time/4-8 gb of data is about 100Dkk). 
farspaceplace wrote:
im saying this, since i only got connected about a year ago, and i made a comparison w my friend frm Zimbabwe who only gets about 8 gb for the same price relatively speaking
aeronautic wrote:
A heavy read, but Brits will learn some broadband info from this and perhaps other countries can see how good/bad they have it.

I have to pay for 2 Fibre Optic accounts, one for my home and one for my Ink Store.

The one at home is 100Mb unlimited and I use the only, fully National, Fibre Optic company in the UK called Virgin Media (owned by Liberty Global) originally a Richard Branson (Virgin) company previously NTL, previously Cabletel.

Their new Super Hub uses 2 different WiFi frequencies 5GHz and 2.4GHz at the same time, and has an extra wireless antenna, and the account I purchased is called the 100Mb tariff and this is supposed to be 100Mbps (Megabits per second) of download, which is unlimited.
However, here's the catch for the UK, they call the system Fibre Optic, but the government has not insisted that they give us Fibre directly to the equipment. In residential areas, the Fibre stops at a street box and goes to the houses via Copper and this significantly reduces the speed and the band width.
The Government has declared that these speeds and widths are adequate for the British people. The reason probably being that the whole family could watch films online, play HD games and browse the Net without so much as the slightest drain on speed or capacity. We are an oppressed Nation of accepters!!

The fastest download speed they offer is 152Mbps, which is currently used by less than 20% of residential areas and about 80% of businesses.
Between all the different tariffs used, OFCOM (communications ombudsman) has reported the following:
Average upload speed increased to 2.9Mbps (Megabits per second).
Average download speed increased to 22.8Mbps (Megabits per second).
This is nothing like the 100Mbps & 152Mbps they sell us!

In my store I have just upgraded the 152Mbps tariff and am waiting for its installation.

The cost for 152Mbps (unlimited) is around £30 per Month, which is about 3 to 4 hours wages for the average worker.

There is a new Free National WiFi for all Virgin Media mobile devices about to launch called WiFi Buddy and I am considering signing up my business as one of the Hotspots. This should ensure that I get an uninterrupted and powerful signal from the IP.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
farspaceplace wrote:
yeah we have the same prob too w the fibre optic...no one has them so the provider might offer u that , but the infrastructure doesnt allow it. But again not complaining really works fine.
Furthermore it is decreed by law that all citizens have to be online in order to receive notifications from the government, which is aiming to be digital. (homeless and blind people have benn exemptempted af ter troulble, but hey new system babysteps).
U cant really be offline now, since the fee of paying your bills in person at a post office willl basically equaliseze or even exceed the the cost of having internet. Again not complaining, but its just the way it is w supply and demand and some government regulations
farspaceplace wrote:
but ithink we got it better in Denmark..I heard the public transportaion in in Britain (the trains) got to sh.. after they were privatized

4960epic wrote:
Well I'm a same time player, last year we switched from satelite internet, which was incredibly slow and gave only 15 gigs of data, to century link, which is a phone company that has fibre optic cable running through the countryside close to our house. It is incredibly fast, and is unlimited, in a same time game, other than the occasional refresh "hiccup", the only limit for me is how fast can i see a move or move my mouse. 
I think we pay around 20-25 US $ a month which is a 3rd the cost of satelite. Our internet is also bundled with our phone too, so we get a discount for having a landline phone.
I will say that there are some times when the internet goes down due to the companies error, maybe once or twice a month, but they are swift in getting it back up and running.
Note: i live in a very rural area.
farspaceplace wrote:
well a 20-25$ is not bad if unlimited...and on the country side, (i suppose u got a father, mother and a annoying sibling too), but its true it has also gotten a lot cheaper here as well recently, in the last year or so.