Everything you need to know- and more!
  • 17 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
JamesKer1 wrote:
Things I hope to add:
-Special/Personal Choice Rules (FFA, 3rd Party, Cult, etc)
-More abbreviations
-Descriptions of roles

Anything else needed, just post below.

Game Mechanics (click to show)

Basic Rule Template (click to show)

Common Abbreviations and Terms (click to show)

Common Roles (click to show)

Commonly Used Abilities (click to show)
Virtuosity98 wrote:
For those who don't know, here are the standard rules from Wikipedia (please note, this game was designed for a real-life group of people, so ignore references to people closing their eyes, etc.):

In its simplest form Mafia is played by two teams: the mafia, whose members know each other's identity, and the innocents (a.k.a. "civilians," "townspeople," "village," "town," etc.), who at first know only the number of mafiosi in the game. Live games require a moderator who does not participate as a player.

There are two phases: "night," when the mafia may eliminate a player from the game, and "day," during which players vote to "lynch" (eliminate) a suspect. These phases follow each other continuously until all mafiosi have been eliminated or the mafia outnumbers the innocents.

Some players may be given a role with a special ability. Common examples include:
the detective: an innocent who may "investigate" a player each night, learning that player's role from the moderator.
the doctor: an innocent who may protect a player from killing roles each night.
the barman: a mafioso who may cancel the effect of another role's ability each night.
the vigilante: an innocent who may kill a player every night.

Andrew Plotkin recommends having exactly two mafiosi, while the original Davidoff ruleset suggests a third of the players (rounding to the nearest whole number) be mafiosi. Davidoff's original game does not include roles with special abilities. In his rules for "Werewolf," Andrew Plotkin recommends that the first phase be day and that there be odd number of players. These specifications prevent players from being killed before the first day and in most scenarios ensure that the game will end dramatically on a lynching, rather than with an anticlimactic murder.

Night

All players close their eyes. The moderator then instructs all members of the mafia to open their eyes and acknowledge their accomplices. They pick a "victim" by silently gesturing to indicate their target and to show unanimity, and then close their eyes again.

A similar process occurs for other roles with nightly actions. In the case of the detective, the moderator may indicate the target's innocence or guilt by using gestures such as nodding or head shaking.

Night may be accompanied by players tapping gently to mask sounds made by gesturing.

Day

The moderator instructs players to open their eyes and announces who "died" the previous night. According to some rules the role of the murdered player is revealed, while according to others it is not. Dead players may not attempt to influence the game.

Discussion ensues. At any point a player may accuse someone of being a mafioso and prompt others to vote to lynch him. If over half of the players do so, the accused person is eliminated, his role is revealed, and night begins. Otherwise, the phase continues until a lynching occurs.

Because players have more freedom to deliberate, days tend to be longer than nights.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

JamesKer1 wrote:
Ok... So here's my list of roles. Let me know if there are any aliases or additions we need for this. Of course, if you have an advanced role going into a game right now or for a future, we can add it later. :)

Basic Town Roles:

-Vanillager/Vanilla Townie/VT
-Inspector/Rolecop
-Cop
-Tracker
-Doctor/Medic/Bodyguard
-Mason

Advanced Town Roles:
-Princess & Princess Bodyguard
-JOAT

Basic Mafia Roles:

-Mafia Goon (no powers)
-Mafia Rolecop/Inspector
-Mafia Roleblocker/Hooker

Advanced Mafia Roles:
-Mafia Godfather

Themed Roles:
-Dragon
UltrasPlot wrote:
Um, there's always my claimed role, which actually worked, announcer, silencer, persuader, miller, mason, etc.
JamesKer1 wrote:
UltrasPlot - Aug 31, 05:46 PM
Um, there's always my claimed role, which actually worked, announcer, silencer, persuader, miller, mason, etc.

That role was insanely overpowered. If it's been used before, I'll add. Maybe a one night block would be more believable. Name for it?

I've got Mason. Links or descriptions of the others?
UltrasPlot wrote:
Haha James, I purposefully made it overpowered so that I wouldn't get lynched.

Announcer: you'll see in my game
Silencer: Keeps player from talking for a phase
Persuader: Forces player to vote for a user
Miller: Village that shows up as mafia or vice versa
Sygmassacre wrote:
Can we at least have generic lynch commands. A simple Lynch X

That way we dont have to confuse the mod when they are trying to tally votes
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Sygmassacre wrote:
Also, someone that can assume other roles would be cool. Like a copycat
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
JamesKer1 wrote:
Lots of edits done, I'm very disappointed this is the first time I'm actually getting to this.
Madagascarter wrote:
Abbreviation...
BG - Bodyguard, Doctor or anyone that can protect or guard another player.
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
UltrasPlot wrote:
Dragon is technically a Vengeful Townie.

For reference:
mafiascum.net is a good place to get roles.
JamesKer1 wrote:
UltrasPlot - Oct 4, 05:12 PM
Dragon is technically a Vengeful Townie.

For reference:
mafiascum.net is a good place to get roles.

I don't need your sass :P I'll call it what I want. It's my thread, right? ;)

Added Mad
UltrasPlot wrote:
I was saying that Dragon is technically a variant of that role, you can leave it as is for now but after I make a game with Vengeful Townie / SuperSaint... :]
farspaceplace wrote:
i would like to play, but am still a little confused: how often do u take turns? is it a 24 hour basis as usual, altering between day and night? when u have to include moderators in ur speech, u just mean that u send a personal message to ur speeching partner and the mods personal profiles? or is there some special function where the game takes play, (in another room or something)?
Virtuosity98 wrote:
A Night Phase typically lasts 24 hours, so yes, on a 24 hour basis. This means that you have 24 hours to use any night abilities by sending a PM to the moderator. A Day Phase typically lasts 48 hours, but occasionally longer, so you have 48 hours to vote on who to Lynch in the forums. To include moderators in your conversations, simply include them in your PM, e.g. I send you a message to discuss the game, where UltrasPlot is moderator, entitled "Mafia Game V98/farspaceplace", but also include UltrasPlot in the message. I hope this explains everything. Generally everything becomes clearer by playing the game - during the game people will help with any questions you may have, and the Moderators will explain your abilities fully and give instructions via PM. Please join the two games currently in Signups! :)

http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1997 (OXEN's MEGA MAFIA GAME)

http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=2018 (Virtuosity98's Berlin 1945 Game)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).