Parker's Risk game
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
The_Bishop wrote:
I just received at my home the Risk game by Parker, American edition 1993, the first with miniatures if I am not wrong. It is used of course but it is in very good conditions. Wow, I am proud to have this at my home. Now I feel like one of you, my dear American friends!

I bought it on e-bay for a cheap price of 15$ but unfortunately the ship to Europe wasn't so cheap, 35$! I wanted the 1993 edition because it's the one with the best map style for me.

As soon as I will meet my Italian friends I will propose them to play Risk in the American way!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Thorpe wrote:
Wow!!! I have the ones with the wood pieces and the "Roman" numbers, but not the one with mini's....I think I will be asking Santa!
How did your Chess Tournament go?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
LOL It's the world chess championship, not "my chess tournament"!
The young challenger Carlsen is leading with 5v3 against the reigning Anand.
(3 games left to the end of the match)

By the way I'm going to organize a Risk tournament with my friends in December.

The "Roman" numbers, that's very old!!
In the Italian edition we have tanks and then flags which worth like 10 tanks. They are nice and also infantry, cavalry and artillery in the American edition are very nice. I just like to have both.
The_Bishop wrote:
LOL Life - No I'm not, I'm too strong to play them!
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
In Spain the troops always were artilaty, cavalry and infantry (except the new Risk and its new rules). Are we closer to US than to Italy?
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Thorpe wrote:
The olodest is wood pieces and you have to remember what the shapes are for, but with me being old and have played for such a long time...since I think...I was 17yrs old when I first played it and have been playing it from that point on. Hard to find players that could take the time to play, then I found a bar that play it every Saturday and got players to ask, the over 21 crowd, if I could play them out of the bar. Lots of fun and different ways to play. Now that is "Retro"!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm not surprised to know the Spanish version is more similar to the United States version than the Italian one. From what I know they are all similar, just the Italian one is different.
We may say the original Risk is from the United States. I don't consider the first French version of 1957 because the name was different and the rules also. And more, the great success of the game began in the United States in 1959.
That's why I wanted one from that country which is the homeland of Risk.

@Thorpe - Who have to remember the shapes, me? From what I know the old wood pieces were cube shaped (except the oval pieces which worth like 10 cubes).
Is it right? Wait, there was also some editions with asterisk shaped pieces (3 tips and 5 tips), but I guess they were plastic made.

@Muzuane - What the new Risk and new rules are?
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
@Bishop, a friend of mine bought it but I still couldn't play with its new rules although I could read them.

I remember just some of them, not literarily but its philosophy.

There are 3 kind of provinces (and you get more reinforcements according to the provinces you have).

Dice are different and there aren't any more Infantry, Artillery... Now there are some arrows (like plane pieces that have different number of stripes, so they mean different number of troops).

And finally, the Set/Cards rule has changed completely. There are no sets, now if you change your cards when you have 3 of them you receive a number of troops (I don't remember how many) but if you wait until you have 5 (I think you can hold 7) you get more troops, (if you got 5 troops for 3 cards, for 6 cards you got more than 10).
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra