• 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
lionheart wrote:
A bit of a long one.

A group of 10 men are captured by aliens and given a test to save themselves and humanity. They are lined up in a row facing the same direction and they are given either red or blue hats. Starting from the back the aliens will ask what colour there hat is, get it wrong and they die.
They were told before hand what will happen and had time to decide what to do. They are not allowed any codes or to say anything but red or blue. There is no tricks of sight they can only see people's heads in front of them. The bad news is you need to guarantee to save 9 lives to save humanity.
Matty wrote:
So, if I get this right, they can decide upon a tactic first, allowing them to say whatever they want amongst eachother, knowing what is going to happen.
Afterwards they are only allowed to say one word (red or blue).

I would suggest the following:
Spoiler (click to show)

50% chance no one dies, 50% the first one dies - all others are saved - humanity is saved.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lionheart wrote:
Creative but not the best answer, I said no codes so there's a good chance the aliens being a super smart race would pick up on this and count it as a code and were all dead. The best answer has no change of tone just "red" or "blue".
Matty wrote:
I have played supreme commander, believe me, aliens aren't that smart xD

But I will have to think some more now :S.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Just a question out of curiosity, am I right in assuming you cannot see the colour of your own hat, but only the colours of all ppl that are yet to name their colour?

Edit, you misspelled "their hat".
You do mean that every human has to name the colour of his own hat.

Edit, I am also assuming the total number of blue and red hats is unknown. If they know in advance there will be 4 blue ones, and 6 red ones its easy (and everyone can be saved guaranteed).

(Just to rule out some mean cases, riddles then to have those...)
Cireon wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Hmmmz, I think the parity bit tric will work here.

Spoiler (click to show)

Edit, dang, Cireon was a bit earlier.
Cireon wrote:
lionheart - Apr 27, 07:00 AM
That's right, fair play there's some brains on this site
You have been talking to two of the programmers here. You should be happy we have some brains XD
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card