42 territories, 7 regions
  • 32 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
The_Bishop wrote:
So here the idea
World Non Classic (42 tert's) (click to show)

Just 2 small changes on the World Classic map:
Australia got two borders instead of one, and the big Asia got split into two parts.

If someone wants to test it, just send me a private message when I am on-line, please.
Capitals are a bit different from World Classic.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
I will ask an honest question here: do we really need yet another minor variation of the classic world map? World Modified - which has the same premise of "fixing" World Classic - is the seventh least popular map on D12 right now. Unless this is somehow the magic fix that makes this map absolutely fire, I foresee the same fate for this map.

I am fine with alternate interpretations of the world (world expanded and world reduced are both very popular maps, and for good reason), but then I would be interested in not just some minor changes, but rather a theme/bigger change. All the maps that offer an incredibly small change would just blend together, and with vague names like "Modified" or "Non Classic", confusing to distinguish as well.

If people feel strongly about this particular design, my suggestion would be that this would become a replacement of World Modified, rather than an addition.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
@Cireon, Well everything you say is perfectly reasonable. However I think this can offer something more than World Modified, or at least it differs more from the original. I'm a traditionalist, I like World Classic, so my intent here is not to 'fix' anything, but rather to create a (interesting?) variation with new regions and new paths. Still similar to the original yes, so it's looking pretty familiar but it plays differently. Let me try the experiment please and then decide.
periwinkle wrote:
i must admit...i like the map!  i like that asia is split into two regions instead of one big one that no one can hold.  tbh...the world modified version...there really isn't much of a difference...but this one there is. i would make 1v1 games more interesting especially when you can break the aussie bonus via madagascar. i would be in favour of keeping this map.
The_Bishop wrote:
I'll leave the decision pending wether to start a beta-test or not. Let's focus on Alkebulan Africa first.

For now this map status is inactive,
the provisional name is 'Test Map 0' and I provided a special icon for it:
[image]
so that is clear this is just an experiment and we still don't know what to do.

Anyway I didn't expect a kill-or-die competition with World Modified, <if> I have to chose I do prefer mine! :)
bluebonnet wrote:
i like it.
i am indifferent to the split of asia. the games i play, large commands even the new split rarely comes into play

however, the new path to australia rules. i hated how everyone always tried for aussie no matter what on the original version.
the new path should balance things out more.
bluebonnet is online.
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
periwinkle
i must admit...i like the map!  i like that asia is split into two regions instead of one big one that no one can hold.  tbh...the world modified version...there really isn't much of a difference...but this one there is. i would make 1v1 games more interesting especially when you can break the aussie bonus via madagascar. i would be in favour of keeping this map.
Completely agree, I think aussie to madaascar is needed! it would prevent the australia "turtle" very effectively.
Eat my dust.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, if people like it then let's try the experiment!
nperry54 wrote:
Love the new classic world map. Makes a lot of sense breaking up Asia and giving Aust. two borders. I think it is a good one personally.
nperry54 is online.
JCaesar69 wrote:
I do love this map. My thoughts mirror those of other comments. The east having two major changes totally shifts gameplay (in theory, playing a long term 2v2 as my first game on it) but i would love to play a 5 or 6 person to really take it for a spin.

Killing the turtle may make PETA upset but makes for a much more balanced map.
dough_boy wrote:
Curious why the upper green region doesn't have the same bonus as Europe? Both have 7, both have to defend 4?
The_Bishop wrote:
Good observation, I copy and paste what I wrote in a game chat.
I think it's quite correct because Europe is harder than Northern Asia. It could be reduced to +4, but let's say Europe is traditionally a bit overrated and I didn't want to change that.
In this setup 3 continents are changed and 3 are the same as in W. Classic. If you want the paradox is ... Why should Asia split into 2 be worth more than the Asia unite? Asia unite was much harder! Or why the unchanged Europe should have its bonus reduced? It's controversial...
dough_boy wrote:
The reason splitting Asia is worth more is because you have more to protect for each region. I don't see how the same territories to capture and defend should be worth different things. The formula is the formula. So they should both be the same whether 5 or 4.