• 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Ruca77 wrote:
Good morning all :)
Well after our ''small'' Middle-earth cry out at shoutbox I thought well lets send a mail to Tolkien Society to see what they say.

My mail:
Good afternoon friends :) I am a huge Ea fan! Lately I registered and been playing Online Risk in https://dominating12.com/. And this week again as many times before people shouting for a LOTR map but it appears the admins weren't able to get the copyrights to have it.

28 Jan, 13:20 Ruca77: Forth Eorlingas \o/ 28 Jan, 13:20 Ruca77: Any chance a Middle-earth map ? #_# Or cant because of copyright?
28 Jan, 14:07 Virtuosity98: Middle-earth has been suggested many times, but we have not been able to get copyright permission to reproduce it here. The site got permission for the Westeros, Westeros & Essos, Tamriel, and Battle of the Elements maps
28 Jan, 14:08 Rockbert: that's too bad. Would be a fun map to play
28 Jan, 23:45 Bonderman23: If there is any way to get a LOTR map I would support...
29 Jan, 01:17 dark_star: ^^ 29 Jan, 01:17 dark_star: Agreed
29 Jan, 02:27 ColdSteel: YES we need a LOTR map
29 Jan, 02:27 ColdSteel: That would be fantastic
29 Jan, 05:58 HiJenks: Agreed
29 Jan, 06:36 Hoodlum: <3
29 Jan, 13:45 vorple: +1 LOTR map

Is there any way that the copyright can be given or anyone I can contact to see if would be possible change that? All the best and have a nice day! Long live the Tolkien Society <3 Namarie!

Reply received:

Hi Rodolfo,

Thank you for your enquiry. First off, we can't give any permissions or legal advice, but we can pass on what the grapevine says. The owner of the game will need to apply to HarperCollins UK with a request to reproduce a map. I don't think they give permissions to many people. Try permissions@harpercollins.co.uk . It would need to come from someone who takes responsibiilty for the project and can give full personal details. I think there may be a form to fill in.

The owners of the movie copyrights (Middle-earth Enterprises) also have the rights to the version of the map used for the LOTR movie. You could approach them. I am guessing however that the map would need to be re-drawn for use in a Risk game.

If the site has applied before and been refused, then it's not likely to be given permission now. The Tolkien Estate are very strict, partly perhaps because there was quite a lot of copyright piracy connected with Tolkien's works.

There do seem to be quite a lot of unofficial maps on the net. It may be that if you re drew the basic map for use in the game, that would be acceptable. But you would need advice from someone who knows about copyright, and things like transformation, and what needs to be acknowledged and what needs to be disclaimed.

Good luck!

Kind regards
Tolkien Society Correspondence
You want the best? Here I am!
Ruca77 wrote:
In what I can help I will :D LOTR Map would be epiccccc!
You want the best? Here I am!