• 30 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Hoodlum wrote:
The Roman Empire AD: 395

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

Theme

93 territories

15 regular bonuses + 2 proposed special bonuses (east/west empires)

as mentioned in the map dabble. i went with roman numerals, in a rough chronological order of the roman expansion. rome being 1 (I)
regular labels, had gotten quite messy with some lengthy names, as the territories are tight.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
So quick question: why would people play this map over the Mediterranean States map or vice versa?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
my quick answer. i'd play both.
i see some of Dima's med states tournaments are based on a roman empire theme, that kind of gave me motiviation to know more about the roman empire and muck around with this. if it doesn't make the cut, i wouldn't be disappointed, cause med states rocks, it's a fav map, but maybe it has some interest themewise. some past related posts and other discussion
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Hoodlum
The Roman Empire AD: 396

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

Theme

93 territories

15 regular bonuses + 2 proposed special bonuses (east/west empires)

as mentioned in the map dabble. i went with roman numerals, in a rough chronological order of the roman expansion. rome being 1 (I)
regular labels, had gotten quite messy with some lengthy names, as the territories are tight.

Looks nice so far.
I guess you wish to write 395 instead of 396 though (topic title)
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Dima wrote:
Looks nice, release it, so that i csn test it in tourney!

And i would play both, this and the current mediterranean
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
Dima wrote:
Btw, what bout spain and greece? Both give 3 bonus and u have to hold just 3 territories, but hreece hat 6 and spain 7 territories. Why?
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
Dima wrote:
Hood, release it or give me atleast a permission to play on it in my tourney!
Dima wrote:
Damn guys, what are we waiting for??????? Release it!!!! Or give me atleast a special acces to it for the tourney!!!!!! I am looking everyday on forun, but nobody responds!!!!!!
aeronautic wrote:
Dima, could you please use PM instead of spamming this map thread.
We never rush activating maps just for personal reasons, there's a due process that we adhere to, so that we can ensure that the map is fit for the site's standards and has no errors etc.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
sorry, been a bit busy lately. yeah what aero said. i will input it as a test map some time this week, and will add ya to some test games. it's still early development so it won't be ready for tournament games for a while if it even goes forth.
Dima wrote:
Hallo, i see a significant problem with the map, to be exactly with the amount of regions in every territory in relation to the bonus. The bonus is very low and the amount of territories needed to conquer it are very high. It will have following inplications for the game: first of all it will take longer to finally get a terrotory and therefore a bonus; you might just spend the first 5 turns just for getting one territory. Second, once you have conquered one territory and can get bonus you have a disproportianally big advantage compared to others; whike they still struggle getting their first territory, you already have a bonus and can expand further; the power difference between you and others is growing. The game starts boring and become unbalanced lated, just because of the said relation.
As a solition i propose to decrease the number of regions pro territory by one or 2.
Dima wrote:
Btw, then u finally get the space for real names ;) cuu these numbers are making it harder to get oversight
aeronautic wrote:
As a solition i propose to decrease the number of regions pro territory by one or 2.

*Note, for the purpose of D12;
Territories are the single sectors and Regions are collections/groups of sectors, so Territories are inside Regions.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Dima wrote:
Yes, sry. I mean what you said of corse.
The_Bishop wrote:
Geographically and historically very accurate.

The Roman Empire was around the Mediterranean Sea, we cannot move it in another location. Mediterranean States map is a cut of all states touching the Mediterranean Sea at present day (+ Portugal), so that it includes a great portion of the Sahara Desert which cannot be considered part of the mediterranean area and that's why it is called "Mediterranean States" map, not Mediterranean Sea map. Fortunately Romans didn't conquer the Sahara Desert, so the two maps are different. They are also of different sizes and they have different game-plays. Of course we (the players) will enjoy to play both of them. However, if we really have to discard one of the two, honestly I value more to have a historical map of the Roman Empire than a scrach of states facing the Mediterranean Sea.

@Dima = Territories are territories. A set of territories can be called "region", "continent", "bonus area" or whatever you like; but you cannot call it "territory" otherwise we do not understand each other. I know that other websites make confusion on the meaning of the word "territory" but fortunately here we use the correct words.

Regions with 4 or 5 territories are small regions, while regions having 9 or 10 territories are large regions. I didn't decide it myself, it's just how things are in the original game of Risk. There are maps having small (and very small) regions only, or very large maps having only 1 large regions, and recently we got a new one with large regions only. They all are different and interesting to play. What I see here, in this map, is just a perfect mix of small, medium and large regions. The defensibility of some regions maybe is a bit low, but low defensibility usually works finely with very large maps (see World Expanded map for example).

Just in case it's necessary, a little bit of accuracy can be sacrificed in order to get some evident improvements in game-play. Regions are okay for me as they are; but maybe to have better capital placements some small tweaks is necessary, I hope not many though.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein