• 22 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Hoodlum wrote:
ARTIC CIRCLE

Something different. A circle map..Circular gameplay also.

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
I love the look of this map and it was very clever the way you incorporated the mini-map and title.
I mainly like the old mariners type of theme of the map.

I think it's quite intuitive enough not to spoil the map with an impassable key for the lake at Verkhoyansk.

There may well be a colour-blind problem with the right green region, perhaps that will have to be a dark colour??
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
farspaceplace wrote:
Its quite a beautiful map. Only thing is: some people may at first wonder if Kitlineq can attack Kivalliq. I think its intuitive enough that they are NOT connected, but it could be misunderstood. Not sure if anything should be done about it, as too much "things" would clutter the map.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

correct about the colour blind issue. i tried a white tone. i agree about not adding an impassable key..since it's only 1 impassable and i also think it seems straight forward.
yup kitlineq and kivalliq was another issue i thought about..

100% view
Matty wrote:
I kinda think the only way to really solve the Kitleneq and Kivalliq issues is to connect them.

Gameplaywise I wonder if you'd need to split up the nordic region into two regions, but it may actually be better this way.

The blending of regions on the minimap looks a bit weird. Maybe put a small line between it?

How does the capital circle work on the white territories? And the grey circle on the grey territories?

Overall I like the map.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
i have practice played on it, and wondered that too while playing it. if the nordic region should be split into 2 different regions

i have put the grey circles with numbers on display, and on the Siberia (white) region, i put the white capitals rings on all their territories to see if it works. opinions?

the connection line between Kitleneq and Kivalliq was added

also, doubled up on the lines between regions this time. before miniaturizing it to a mini map.

edit update (click to show)

100% view
Matty wrote:
The grey circles are fine. Not sure about the capital circles. Watching it in bright daylight now and the contrast is good enough, but not sure how visible it is on a toned down screen.

Thanks for that extra territory line, I don't think there'll be confusion about that now.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
farspaceplace wrote:
Perhaps the nordic area should be + 7, or + 6 region? If u compare it with traditional asia...Asia has 5 borders and same amount of terts roughly i think, but gives + 7. Nordic also have 5 borders, but only gives + 5. As such i think its fine to have a large "hard to control area", but the benefits of taking it, are not so big.  Splitting could make sense...Iceland goes to Greenland, Svalbard to Scandinavia fx., but that would change the gameplay.
aeronautic wrote:
If my memory serves me right, when I redid the white Capital Circles, there was not enough outer space to add an outer shadow as in the case of the smaller Grey Circles.
Therefore, the only way to solve the issue, as we have done with other maps, is to add a sprayed shadow to the image where the circles are to sit.
This restricts the circle placement to exactly where the shadows are.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Oh good idea, that'd work (for as long as you keep it a delicate touch).
Matty is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
i had reformatted my computer recently and lost all the plug ins to my paint program which i have to download again, i'll eventually get around to it. but if you'd like to give it a shot, here is the image without labels/circles
Spoiler (click to show)
100% view
Hoodlum wrote:
Dirtied up the white area a bit to consider the possible white capital rings postions

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
dough_boy wrote:
I like it. Quebec looks a little weird all by itself...almost like it should be the other color. Also strange that it is that close to Qik but doesn't connect.
Hoodlum wrote:
I suppose Canadians would understand the perspective of Quebec situated on this map, if i hadn't made the map, it would make me google it to see what's up :)
adding a connection from Quebec to Qikiqtaaluk is probably a good idea because it looks like it probably should connect
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

bonus calculator