Critiques and Opinions appreciated
  • 54 posts
  • Page 3 of 4
Hoodlum wrote:
SethHrab
Update for some of your imagining. 72 territories, 11 regions, 3 large regions, one "super" region, the rest moderate or small.

Something like this Cireon:

Spoiler (click to show)

it looks interesting. I haven't checked your bonuses, but it sounds like you did it right.
a good way to figure out connections, is to consider the capitals positions from 2 - 9 players. follow the capitals guidelines and try to make them as fair as possible...(adjacent paths - even distancing etc)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
SethHrab wrote:
Hoodlum
SethHrab
Update for some of your imagining. 72 territories, 11 regions, 3 large regions, one "super" region, the rest moderate or small.

Something like this Cireon:

Spoiler (click to show)

it looks interesting. I haven't checked your bonuses, but it sounds like you did it right.
a good way to figure out connections, is to consider the capitals positions from 2 - 9 players. follow the capitals guidelines and try to make them as fair as possible...(adjacent paths - even distancing etc)

Capitals guidelines? Had trouble locating what you speak of..
Hoodlum wrote:
https://dominating12.com/forums/3/map-creation/589/dxii-guide-to-map-making

Spoiler (click to show)
Matty wrote:
The way it is right now I'd consider this a hard map. You have good regions, and they are relatively easy to defend, but moving around is tough.
Not saying that's a bad thing, quite the opposite I think. I like it.

To know how it really works out I'd have to play it though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
There's a link to a test play program provided by Hoodlum in the Tutorials, you can test game-play with that before continuing any amendments and that should give you some ideas.

Apart from that, I won't have anything much to say about game-play as Graphics is my stronger point.

The Topography (craters) is playing havoc with the territory & border lines. Try placing the "lines layers" at the top of all other layers. If the lines are all drawn evenly by whichever method you used, they should all look even no matter what is bellow them.... unless what is below them is too opaque and dark detail comes through. In which case the lower layers have to be suppressed to allow the lines to be in full contrast.

I know that we are at the early stages and game-play is still being decided, but don't keep the realistic waves in the seas, they are always cheesy. If you are using a realistic sea, it has to be set to the same altitude as the land, so you won't see waves.

Terraforming (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
SethHrab wrote:
Matty
The way it is right now I'd consider this a hard map. You have good regions, and they are relatively easy to defend, but moving around is tough.
Not saying that's a bad thing, quite the opposite I think. I like it.

To know how it really works out I'd have to play it though.

Entirely my goal, and I'd say a good review for the most part. I actually attempted a game using "Hard AI" with Hoodlums game simulator, worked out quite well. Movement was not as hard as I thought it would be, but still difficult. Keeping a region wasn't too bad, except the damned AI came at me every time they traded cards lol. I fortified in Island Nation, took Scota region fairly easily, and started to move into the Urmander and Bellum regions before getting wiped. Ended in third place. The Bellum region player came back at me the same time the Ark region player moved towards me and the Urmander region.

SethHrab wrote:
aeronautic
There's a link to a test play program provided by Hoodlum in the Tutorials, you can test game-play with that before continuing any amendments and that should give you some ideas.

Apart from that, I won't have anything much to say about game-play as Graphics is my stronger point.

The Topography (craters) is playing havoc with the territory & border lines. Try placing the "lines layers" at the top of all other layers. If the lines are all drawn evenly by whichever method you used, they should all look even no matter what is bellow them.... unless what is below them is too opaque and dark detail comes through. In which case the lower layers have to be suppressed to allow the lines to be in full contrast.

I know that we are at the early stages and game-play is still being decided, but don't keep the realistic waves in the seas, they are always cheesy. If you are using a realistic sea, it has to be set to the same altitude as the land, so you won't see waves.

Terraforming (click to show)

Think I got the crater / lines issue handled as you ask. Let me know what you think.

I gotta fight you on the ocean, I love it. If the consensus is not love, I'll switch the texture to something the group enjoys more. Part of what I love is that you can see waves.. something I personally don't like about the majority of oceans on current maps. They all seem bland and unrealistic. I wanted a chaotic ocean due in part to your research about Mars being "wobbly". The idea is that at this point not only have future generations terraformed and settled Mars, but also kickstarted plate movement, etc. So, one would have to think to a degree they'd have figured out a way to bring the oceans and atmosphere under control.

See post above for gameplay. I did a game and had a good go of it.

Spoiler (click to show)
SethHrab wrote:
@aero: Thought about your concern with the ocean and attempted a compromise upon looking at it a bit closer, I removed I think what you are seeing that was bothering you which were the major waves toward the eastern side of the map and smoothed out some of the more major whitecaps throughout the map.. I think this does look more realistic, still keeps a "choppy" ocean per my liking, and compromises nicely with your request as well.

Spoiler (click to show)
Thorpe wrote:
What aero was saying is that the land has a lower altitude than then the ocean so this is not realistic so you ratio is wrong, the ocean would flow onto the land and cover it.
When you look at a ocean from a higher altitude the waves are not there...maybe take a look at a real map with the waves you want and move away from it and then you will see what I am saying, Are you fond of purple? I would think it would have redness to it..Mars is the called the red planet for a reason...cause of the land? I may be of base on this though.

I would love to see when I look at the "Red Planet" there would be red in it.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
SethHrab wrote:
Thorpe
What aero was saying is that the land has a lower altitude than then the ocean so this is not realistic so you ratio is wrong, the ocean would flow onto the land and cover it.
When you look at a ocean from a higher altitude the waves are not there...maybe take a look at a real map with the waves you want and move away from it and then you will see what I am saying, Are you fond of purple? I would think it would have redness to it..Mars is the called the red planet for a reason...cause of the land? I may be of base on this though.

I would love to see when I look at the "Red Planet" there would be red in it.

Something like this?

Spoiler (click to show)
Thorpe wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)
maybe something like this with just a hint of red,,,,but I still do not like it..lol hoodlum is good at this now

95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
Thank you for understanding that the previous sea was viewed from 500- feet and the land was viewed from 1000+ miles, the two never match, the only complete land mass that can be seen from 500 feet is the tiniest of islands.

Back to the Lines; I think there must be some transparency on them, as the topography is still coming through them.
Make them 100% opaque and if you want to lighten their colour, check the "Lock Transparency" box on each layer required and brush right over the whole image for each layer with your required colour on a huge paint brush and only the lines will be painted.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
look for some colour palettes, probably mars is a good start. i usually look at other maps we have for colours. maps like mediterranean - bretheren coast - korea-japan, and brazil...
keep experimenting, a lot of the time colours and textures, accidentally happen.

D12 tries to be colour-blind friendly, so you will need to consider neighbouring regions-eg - light next to dark
SethHrab wrote:
@aero - I'm just not sure I see what you are seeing. The lines were already 100% opaque.. I attempted a revision, not sure if this is the result you want or not. Perhaps it might be easier for me to send a copy that you can finangle with on one territory and send back to be able to illustrate what you need on all territories if this doesn't solve your concern? If that is an option, shoot me your email in a PM.

Spoiler (click to show)
Thorpe wrote:
Some colors look better than others for lines and when the are close to the land color the do not show up as well. Black is the old stand-bye .