Map Submission
  • 51 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
Matty wrote:
Last version of the map

Dark fonts on this map definitely look better.

The new font is much better readable, but I kinda also liked the old one for the character it gave to the map (got the pun?)
Definitely an improvement on the lattitude/longitude lines.

I like where this map's going graphic wise (I'll have a look at the gameplay and region bonusses later).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
More font alternatives. I like the one in India or Indochina
100% view
Spoiler (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
I think Garamond is the most readable, but I think Chase MD is my second favourite, closely followed by Catull BQ
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Not a huge fan of chase, I like Catull, Garamond and Celesta.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
100% view

Catull BQ Font (click to show)

Catull was my 3rd choice. quite like it readable/unique..

**have continually edited the map/image link with little pixel fix ups here and there. no major changes.
Matty wrote:
Nice. The a is kinda hard to read, but other then that it's perfect. I'd say keep it ;)
aeronautic wrote:
Cireon
I think the latitude and longitude lines are a bit too visible, so they can be confused for connection lines.

This is the first thing that struck me, but sorted now.

Also, the sea is too strong a colour for me, perhaps reduce the saturation a little?
The sea seems to be neutralising Indonesia.

I won't put this in Beta yet, because of Graphic changes, as soon as the two colours become more contrasted though, it can go to Beta as far as I'm concerned.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
100% view
background re-tone (click to show)

I thought that Indonesia might have been an issue and I had this edit as an alternative.
aeronautic wrote:
You were probably thinking the same as me when setting the colours, the other one is warmer and richer, but you know it just won't give enough contrast.

Nice one Hood, it's much easier to distinguish Indonesia now and it makes the map look a bit less colour saturated.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Some remarks:
- On the minimap, it's a bit confusing at first whether or not that big green region is called "Afghanistan" or "Mongolia" - maybe make the font smaller for region names?
- Bonusses for Mongolia, Afghanistan, Tibet and NE Asia are good I think
- Compared with the world classic map, the other bonusses are still low.
Europe: 7 territories, 4 borders; bonus 5
N America: 9 territories, 3 borders; bonus 5
Asia: 12 territories, 5 borders; bonus 7
----
India/Indochina: 7 territories, 4 borders; bonus 4
Indonesia: 9 territories, 3 borders; bonus 4
China: 11 territories, 7 borders; bonus 6

I'd suggest +1 bonus for these 4 regions.

Edit: the connectivity of this map is quite high, if indochina and china are not occupied (which is likely), you can reach every region except Afghanistan.

So yeah, overall this map is very much like the world classic map, but then with an extra europe and africa. Also, regions are in a different position :)
Hard to say up front, but I think I like it.
Hoodlum wrote:
Thanks Matty. updated region label size and values

100% view

ASIA value/region label edit (click to show)
Matty wrote:
I was thinking a bit more about it. Europe is not a very good region to conqueror, but doable. However, it's a terrible region to defend.
So can't we skim off a border somewhere from India or Indochina?

From these, Annam (Indochina) doesn't necessarily need to be a border, and Ceylon (India) doesn't need to be either, or maybe Delhi (India).

If you remove Delhi, you'd need a weird mountain range, unless that is so IRL, I wouldn't mess with it.
If you remove Ceylon, India will be a really good region (so good that maybe it needs a -1 on the bonus back to 4).
If you remove both of Annam's connections to China then Indochina will actually be a good region as well, but it'll be much harder to move from one side of the map to the other (and maybe also a bonus of 4 instead of 5, though less obvious then India - I should check with Vexer's formula).

I wouldn't change both of these regions.
Cireon wrote:
I think removing Annam's borders would add some really interesting topology to this map :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
keeping it real with geography/impassables

It's doable to be able to close off Annam from Canton with an extended mountain range to the sea. would be forgivable according to the following reference.

Annamite Mountain Range reference check by the gulf of tonkin

and also the mountain range could probably extend all the way to separate delhi. making india a less a territory less to defend as a region

Himilayan extended Mountain Range reference

Ceylon (india) and Hainan (china) Islands can also easily be disconnected, but would have to keep them as territories because the territory count is 52 (forbidden range is 36-38 and 45-51)
Hoodlum wrote:
Feedback edit.

100% view

feeback edit (click to show)