Map submission
  • 46 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
Hoodlum wrote:
edits. Colour tones. Bonus description. No ports. No flags.

Timor Islands 2 (click to show)

100% view

As it's tailored after the popular Carib 3/4 cap play games, here's and an image of a 4 player caps likely scenario. Caribbean players can relate. No Moron drama.
The two North caps may block them self from a quick path to each other, but they get the +1 bonus which makes up for it. The ? territories are peekaboo points in fog games for all holders. In the main land there are opportunities for North regions to have a small stash of troops for other card opportunities. The southern caps have their own advantage of maneuverability in the mainland.
Spoiler (click to show)

@Jimi  "Pantar will be the new moron"

You won't see anyone parking on Pantar tho lol

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
yup.
mainly because i want Pantar to be a bonus between the top two regions, but it's easier to word..as "an adjacent region". It's unlikely that anyone will get the bonus with loro manu with any gametype unless someone was just being a pain and delaying the win :)
Matty wrote:
It is not very clear that Dili is not (just) an Island, but connecting the red and brown regions. (it is right?)
It looks really good!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
was hoping the circle when inputted would make it clearer, as it touches. also dilli on the mainland was quite thin for a circle on it's own, I think that's why i initially opted to have it like that. The island is one of the subdistricts of Dili. If someone is from Timor, I guess they will get it. If someone playing this map is curious about the oddness then it might prompt them to go google it and learn something lol.
 i had already brought it closer to the mainland by a few pixels, maybe a few more may do the trick?
Matty wrote:
The clearest thing would be to have all the connection lines go to the mainland I guess. Not sure how that'd work though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
done the colour blind tests. Pulau and Loro Manu are the same colour for

Red-Blind/Protanopia    
Green-Blind/Deuteranopia   
Monochromacy/Achromatopsia  

Perhaps more contrast between the two regions will help with making Dili clearer because those two regions connect at Dili.
Hoodlum wrote:
Matty
The clearest thing would be to have all the connection lines go to the mainland I guess. Not sure how that'd work though.
Dili connection to the mainland,

colour change - (colour blind tests passed)

Timor (click to show)

100% view
aeronautic wrote:
I haven't really followed the progress of this map, but here's what I think.

Overall, nice map!

Things that spoil the map:
Multiple curved dashed lines and unnecessary curved lines, they give the impression of "follow the lines to the prize".
Maps are always easier to follow when lines are "as the crow flies", this can be a straight line or one sweeping arc.
Most of these connections would be more intuitive as straight.
For less confusion, make sure the straight connection lines and the arched connection line that connect to Dili all pass through the Circle location and meet at one point on the mainland.

The feel of the map is cold.
You could give the impression of warmth either with more vibrant Land colours or with a nice blue shore line (blending outward into the bluish grey sea) and possibly a mix of the both. If it was "East Timor Crisis 1939", the map's coldness would feel more natural.

The minimap labels.
These seem to be too much part of the map, they need more separation with more white / light colour Outer Glow.

The Terminus.
Dili is the main Terminus but is a confusing looking area. Perhaps move the Liguica label to the left (after changing the connection line to an arc) and swap the circle and label location for Aileu.

That's all for now ;)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
One other thing, wouldn't it be more natural to connect Semu to Kupang rather than Rote to Kupang. It has exactly the same Gameplay?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
100 %view
Aero feedback (click to show)

just wanna play this:)
Matty wrote:
It's hard for me to estimate the gameplay on this, as I haven't played carribean that much. Apart from that, since it has a choke-circle rather then a choke-point, it'll probably be very different.

I'll leave it to @Aeronautic to have the final say, but for as far as I'm concerned I'd put this to beta and see what the gameplay is like.
elysium5 wrote:
It can't hurt to have a beta map not work perfectly once in a while anyway;)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
aeronautic wrote:
I never really have much to say about Game-Play, it's not my strong point.

It looks a lot easier to follow now and the map improvements look much better, thanks guys.

I'll see if I can get some time to input the map and put it into Beta tonight.
Hoodlum wrote:
2 - 9 caps suggestions (click to show)

input details (click to show)