Map submission (Hoodlum)
  • 75 posts
  • Page 5 of 5
HammerTime wrote:
Awesome job Hood, really nice looking map ,nice touch on connections, they aren't bold but yet very visible.
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Moai wrote:
Hoodlum what program are you using? And how did you choose a map to base your risk map off of? When i was doing the the USSR one the hardest part was finding the right type of map, I still don't know which to pick, lol
Hoodlum wrote:
I use PDN. It's free, simple to use.
When choosing a map, I play around with many references at the same time. Sometimes it's a combination of a few. When using google maps, you can rely on getting the right
outlines for realistic geography dimensions. It's good to look at other risk maps done for the area you choose to do from other sites, and get an idea an try and be different / better.
First thing I work on when starting the map, is getting most of the land mass to fit the width of 1024 px, so that the land has as much coverage. If it's islands or something, I will leave a little gap for a future possible frame. It isn't necessary to have one but I do this, just in case for future add ons. The height of the map, depends on the width, the smaller the better (less scroll). The next things I think about is., where to place the mini map, possible key/legend, and the Title. Then I will follow the D12 map making guideline, when considering choosing territory amounts..gameplay
after that...post your layout in these map creation forums and the cartographers will give you instruction and feedback etc
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Moai wrote:
Do you use the map itself or do you just trace it? The USSR doesn't have any good maps so i found myself tracing everything which was a pain
aeronautic wrote:
@Moai

I'm not sure about all map makers, but most of us make the whole map by basically drawing and filling. We normally use an existing map to trace if making a geographic map.
It is very time consuming, but I always find that as long as you have a complete layer of the Outline, a layer of the Territory Dividers & Borders (usually thinner lines) & layers of each Territory (in some cases) or whole Regions, you can then work on the Textures, Colours & Effects to your heart's content.
(Photoshop) There are loads of methods you can use, such as duplicating & merging the Outlines & Dividers.... if too dark or too solid, first reduce the opacity and then duplicate & merge them, this will show you where the light and heavy spots are, so undo the duplication, rework the affected areas and then do it again.
It's a bit alien to artists at first, because you treat Brush Art like Pencil Art, where you can erase your brush work, but after a while our brain exchanges tools for concepts.
After I finish World Double, I will make some tutorials to help guys with good graphic skills to adapt to maps.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
HammerTime wrote:
Have bout 5 games now on OZ.. Haven't had any issues so far..plays very nice Hood.. Large cap games..its hard to keep attack lanes open,but this isn't a issue..just more challenge :)..
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Hoodlum wrote:
2 player caps... The cap positions are sweet for it. It seemed that the map was designed for 2p caps, but it is accidental. Good call on the cap 2p cap positions Bishop.
Axobongo wrote:
i think i gave feedback already, but i will repeat my view, its fine, its good, its ready to go

it looks very good, plays very well.

side note: .... i think in general maps with squareish rectangle regions should be avoided, as the first impression they give is a smidge bad for the senses ( i wont go into the science of why i am saying this, but its there) ,, however, the kangaroo image and spiral and other details make it easier on the eye and a beautiful map, once playing, the ''squared region'' problem fades away..
Having said that, game play on it is good , in each setting i have tried, its excellent. 

(side note 2: i am hoping for more 50 something territory maps, and can hardly wait for the day i can make maps for the site)
aeronautic wrote:
You can make maps at any time, but the map has to be suggested first and if enough interest is shown you'll be given permission to create a Map Topic, but you have to be able to complete the map within the guidelines of the DXII Guide for Map Makers and develop it to the feedback from the map community and compliant to the Cartographers direction.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
There seems to be no negative feedback or known problems with this map, so I will make it Active.

Congrat's Hood, another great success.
Hoodlum wrote:
thanks far.. me too. I like how it turned out. I did consider adding the great barrier reef at one point, but didn't know how to go about it.