• Page 1 of 5
Hoodlum wrote:
Australasia

Development started in the map dabble and showed some active feedback/interest

Current developed state (click to show)

34 territories
10 regions
Gameplay: Possible extra bonus feature.

Theme type is a somewhat cultural with Aboriginal place names (australia), Maori names (NZ)

Australasia, a region of Oceania, comprises Australia, New Zealand, the island of New Guinea, and neighbouring islands in the Pacific Ocean. Charles de Brosses coined the term (as French Australasie) in Histoire des navigations aux terres australes (1756).

Basic map info catch up.

Australia and Papua are accurate size proportions to actual geography. Melanesia and NZ adjusted position to fit.
Australia states are all accurate, and mostly straight lines, tasmania and victoria combined for convenience, however,
territory names are forced in style (straight lines) for gameplay but they use convenient Aboriginal known place names and somewhat drawn around that.
To keep within theme, Maori names are used for NZ territories. West Papua is not necessarily coined as Australasia but it is included in most drawn maps,
and it's convenient for this one.
Aboriginal dot art is in the background of australia. Chosen australia colours are chosen to represent red dirt, dry, and warm.
NZ greenery, with Maori koru, and fern texture. Papua have flag star representation.
The southern cross constellation used for the compass, is what represents Australasia in general, NZ - AUS - PNG have it in their flag.

All feedback and suggestions from what's been mentioned in the dabble has been addressed so far I believe
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Really good map as it is.

- Let's say you swapped the colours of the sea with the Papua New Guinea. Would the colours still be good colours matching the rest of the map? I think they would.
That means the colour of the ocean is very similar to the colours of the land.
It's just, I'm not sure if I mind.
- Are there any mountains in Australia? Because you have a mountain relief on New Zealand, but there doesn't seem to be any such relief on the rest of the map.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
i wasn't gonna add the mountain layer in nz i think it needs to go, because I should probably make them for Papua where I know where they are, and some sort of mountain relief for Australia which I am not sure if there are any big ones worth making for, and I'm not ready to tackle that mountain. :) Plus, none of them are needed for gameplay.

I've tried the colour switch for the blue guinea and the sea. but it doesn't look that good at all to me. I've tried different colours for PNG instead, but i haven't found a non blueish colour that works with the rest of the colours yet.
Matty wrote:
Another small thing: the colour green (of WA) feels slightly dirty, especially on the minimap with the yellow 3 on it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
matty edits (click to show)

Lightened green WA
Greyer blue PNG

Took the kangaroo off from the minimap, which maybe made the minimap look dirty.
Mountain layer off nz.
PsymonStark wrote:
Couple of things that jump in my eyes... please center the label in W. Queensland and move a bit down the Binaal part of Binaal Billa. The connection between Cape York and Daru is a bit confuse to me because of the small islands there. I have a bit of trouble differencing V&T and NSW's colours.

About connections, make them coherent, possibly all starting from the circle border, and possibly reaching them at 90 degrees or similar. Currently some enter the circle in small islands and some don't. Some don't really reach the circle either, like the Vanuatu, New Caledonia one. Also New Caledonia looks a bit weird, as the NS connection seems a continuous line, but the WE connection is broken there and makes it look awkward.

I'm not really sure about the extra bonus...
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
6 territories, 3 borders, +3 bonus, that's reasonable right?
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes, and so it is a 6/2. But why give extra bonus to Papua and not to Australia, for example?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
hmm the Papua Conflict bonus. It's a thing...ha ..The forgotten war. Indonesia is having an ongoing low level conflict with the natives but it could get out of hand and Australasia may have to take control and need to deploy extra forces to help the natives resolve the dispute! ;)

Some pixel fixes. Connection clarity and consistency. Colour tone changes of VIC & TAS. Circle & Label adjustments.

Version 3 (click to show)
Polarizing wrote:
Interesting map for 1vs1
Nice job hoodlum
There are impassable areas in aussie?
!Santiago y Cierra, España!
aeronautic wrote:
I find the war theme version a little confusing. The aeroplane doesn't seem to have a purpose & the paratrooper is a little too cheesy.
There should really be a symbol on / near both Papua's that make up the extra bonus.
This could be cannons, aircraft, troops or anything military that would insinuate military action required.
That might need some work and development for aesthetics and intuitiveness.

Back to the colour problems with the map that were mentioned and recommended in the Map Dabble, with further development needed, I think that the sea really needs to be darker due to the colours of the foreground (land). Right now my screen looks like I am looking at the map through bright fog.
There is a lot of contrast needed (differential of tones between the foreground & background).
This is where the tricky part will come... getting better contrast without making it look too sharp, too vivid or too stark.

Generally the map is looking very professional and well laid out.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
version 4 (click to show)

darker background - text recolour
aeronautic wrote:
Straight away the map feels far easier on the eyes, the land is in the foreground and their colours look even better than before, nice one Hood.

You will need to do like before and use a colour just lighter than the sea for the sea labels.

A couple of little things for now, there are quite a few wayward pixels outside the outline on Bismarck Archipelago... perhaps it's the outline... it doesn't look very solid there.
The bonus values in the mini map look a bit wrong, perhaps put a tiny drop shadow on them. Also the bonuses on the Papua regions should be central to the land regions they relate to. The same for NZ, Melanesia and VIC & TAS.
The outer shadow does not appear to be the same for large land masses and some islands.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
aero requests Version 5 (click to show)