This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 13 of 15
naathim wrote:
I like it, although I can definitely see where it's a bit too bright lol

Matty wrote:
Agreed with the others, the dull colours did look better in the end.

I like that it has no territory lines, a bit of texture and some drop shadow, but yea, the colours are too much :S.

Grrrr, this is hard.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I have lowered the opacity and overlaid a dark screen to make the colours supressed, I also added text (Post #180) for clarification as the Flag Map is a National Borders info' map.
UK (Union Flag & text) is now touching all applicable countries of the union.

Let me know if you like it like this?
GB22 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Shouldn't what you call S. Ireland be just Ireland?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
No, it should be Eire or Southern Ireland as Ireland is the whole of the Island. I decided not to call it its Gallic name or I'd have to call Wales, Cymru and nobody would know what the heck that is.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well then R. of Ireland. I mean, the known name of the country is not Southern Ireland. Not more nitpicking though :P
The_Bishop wrote:
Psymon's right. Ireland is the name of the country.

Ireland is also the name of the island but it doesn't seem such a problem: people is going to understand that we refer to the country in this case. My request is to keep that flag map geographically accurate with real borders and real names: Southern Ireland is a game region, a real country with that name doesn't exist. The country name is simply Ireland.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
We are getting a bit too much picky about names these days, aren't we?
The_Bishop wrote:
LOL - probably! Or maybe it's the others that make up imaginary names. I mean, the only reason I like the flag map is because it gives a real geographical information that's why I ask for real country names. Ireland should stay Ireland. United Kingdom would be better than UK, if you can find the place, if not it's okay.

Really nice idea from Aeronautic to add the nation names, it makes the flag map to look better. If I can suggest I think the central/eastern part is a bit busy by flags, I would move Ireland flag a bit left-down and UK flag a bit (or even two bits) right-up. And speaking about colours I am fine with the new saturated version.
Cireon wrote:
If you want it correct, make it say Republic of Ireland.

Wikipedia agrees with me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
I feel really bad for saying it, but I like the flag map of both GB 17 and GB 21 better :S
This way the colours look very dirty.

Sorry :S
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
The Wikipedia article is titled "Republic of Ireland" only to make a distinction with "Ireland" article that refers to the physical island. But if you read it you'll see the country is always called Ireland. Then if you have time you can read the "name" paragraph to discover how the official name changed in history and what conventional names British governament adopted for the Irish state. And also what possible alternative names people use, but still the most common way to call it is... (you all know it) Ireland!!

Edit: But in case "Republic of Ireland" may also stay to make a distinction from the "United Kingdom". But "Southern Ireland" not, it's only a colloquial name.

Edit2 based on Matty's comment. I have nothing against the first version colours (#17) with the new added effects: country names and some sort of shadows I guess.
aeronautic wrote:
It was an oversight not to say: Eire, Southern Ireland or Republic of Ireland, when I replied to Psymon.
PsymonStark
Shouldn't what you call S. Ireland be just Ireland?
I was just stating that it is not known as Ireland on its own, the whole island is.
Southern Ireland (click to show)
"United Kingdom" was of course tried on the Flag Map, but forced the Union Flag far to the right, putting the whole map off balance and disallowing this to touch the 4 corners of the union. If I move this, it will lose its purpose.

What you want is:
Can we rename Southern Ireland to it's official name (ROI)?
Can we go back to the Flag Map of GB21?

GB17 Flag Map is deleted since it was rejected and went in the file clean up.
I am not too sure if you want the Flag Map exactly the same as GB21 or a little darker/less bright?
Matty wrote:
I would like the colours of version 21, but then darker AND less saturated.
Cause you made them darker for this version (22), but it looks weird; dirty.

I like the text on the new flag map and am fine with any name for S. Ireland ;)
aeronautic wrote:
GB22 (click to show)
GB23 (click to show)