This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 11 of 15
aeronautic wrote:
I will desaturate the orange, and slightly colour the labels & change the effect to sharpen them. I will drop the opacity slightly on the new background texture to go half way between the two versions which are both still there on version 16, therefore dropping the opacity on the new overlaid texture will allow the lower colour and lower texture come through more, this should solve all Vexer's background concerns.

The labels are not bright white, they are light grey, as I knew bright white would be too dazzling. I actually used region coloured tints on the labels on the early demo's in PM with the Vexer, Fendi & Psymon, but opted out of that idea when this thread was started, as I thought they looked a little cheesy. I will try a much lighter version of that with this serif font. As long as the colours are only light colours, they will contrast well with the background.
GB16 (click to show)
GB15c for reference (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I like the background texture in 16 a lot. The contrast of the background and North England isn't great though, but not worse than 15.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Here it is, all concerns have been met with the preferences of others left intact.
GB17 (click to show)
GB16 for reference (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I like the colours, though the connection lines are hard to see now.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
The text is much easier to read now and sharper. Unfortunately Hebrides, Glamorgan and Clwyd look funny. There are two options, you could move those labels all the way on to the water and use blue for all three instead of their region's color or you could make all the labels for those two regions have less color (more white). I usually opt for the first option, that's how I did it on world classic.

I'd like to be able to see the ocean labels and the credits a little easier and I think the credits would look better split up with noxon's name in the lower right corner. There is precedent for that (see europe).

Background texture looks better. Maybe lower the saturation of the orange just a little bit further.

I think we are almost done.
Matty wrote:
I'm with Vexer on the ocean labels, credits and connection lines (that was already a problem with 16).
I don't think orange should be saturated more, I think it's perfect now, but you can still try and revert later.

The text is much sharper, that's good, but I think the borders around it look a little bit weird. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I don't really like it. Feel free to ignore me if it's just me.

I'm without internet this weekend, so I might not be able to comment much further on this (the map is nearly done), but I still want to say again what bothered me from the beginning. The 3rd UK&I - the land behind the flags (the blue, purple, green and green) looks off on the map. It's very flat while everything else seems to hover a bit above the sea. Everything seems to have quite a lot of texture, but this seems to have none (It'll probably have a bit, but it's hardly visible). Everything else is colourful, but this is dull. Just doesn't really seems to fit on the map.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Matty
The text is much sharper, that's good, but I think the borders around it look a little bit weird.

I agree, I think the borders around the text are TOO sharp.

Plus the effect is highly different relatively to the size visualization of your browser, mine is almost never set at 100%, usually is 90% and those tiny outlines around the text become all of a sudden very blurry when you change the zoom.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Important for your information:
If you zoom in or out on most screens and programs, Graphics look weird unless in increments of 25%. Try what I suggest, drop your screen zoom to 75% or 50% and you will see everything clearer.

I can not be accountable for screen/program zoom.
Screen & Computer Resolutions are already catered for.

I will un-sharpen the outline, but you will need to be at 100% zoom to view it before posting.

Vexer
The text is much easier to read now and sharper. Unfortunately Hebrides, Glamorgan and Clwyd look funny. There are two options, you could move those labels all the way on to the water and use blue for all three instead of their region's color or you could make all the labels for those two regions have less color (more white)
If you colour-sample Hebrides text, you'll see I actually had to darken the colour to make it look similar in tone to the text on the land, it has the usual optical colour illusion. Just making it the same as the land text makes it look like dazzling white.
The suggestion of using blue labels for those over the sea sounds logical.

I will do something better with territory label effect.
I will try something with the Flag Map, but did not intend it ever being a feature, purely a gap filler with info' about the country.
I will brighten the sea labels and move a signature across to the bottom right.
The_Bishop wrote:
I saw it at 100% resolution and it is a bit too sharp for my taste.

Then when I play personally I set the map to the maximal size I can see all the circles without having to scroll it and usually it is not 100 nor 75% but something like 80 or 90%. With the other maps I have no problem doing that.
aeronautic wrote:
GB18 (click to show)
naathim wrote:
I don't particularly care for the text shading. I think it's kind of unnecessary and makes glamorgan and clwyd stand out.

If you're going to stick with it, shade those two as well, even though they're on the ocean background. Cornwall and Hebrides overlap and they look alright, glamorgan and clywd should as well.

Maybe brighten up the mini map. Wales and Ulster look particularly pukey.

I'm sure they all match, but it seems as if there's way to many different fonts on the map. I do think maps generally look better if they have an overall singular font. Ties everything together, more cohesive.
The_Bishop wrote:
Mh... Flags had a geographical meaning in the previous version, in the last version not anymore. I cannot understand Matty's complaint really. I prefer as it was before with the flag map having similar-to-ocean colours, being an element totally non-useful for the game, since it doesn't mean to draw lot of attention. But still is useful to clarify what the actual borders between those nations are in reality; because I know there is delicate political problems on that subject, especially speaking about Northern Ireland. As it is now, the game map is weirdly repeated 3 times and the flags don't correspond with the colored game regions, since the meaning of that flag map has became unclear.
aeronautic wrote:
GB19 (click to show)
GB18 for reference (click to show)
@naathim, your concerns have not been disregarded, but as Vexer & I know, your shading concern is incorrect. Clwyd & Glamorgan do have the shading, in fact a lot more, due to the sea colour effect.
Colours on maps are highly influenced by the colours around them.

As for the land labels font, this was chosen in the last update, due to more readability over the previous one. All serif fonts at this size cause a problem, so it was changed to san serif.

I believe also you missed earlier posts where it was decided to place 3 labels over the sea and use a blue colour for them (as in World Classic). I in fact managed to save Hebrides by finding a good land position for it, but had to work long and hard darkening the font colour and the effects colours to make it look like the other Scottish land labels. This was not possible for Wales, due to smaller territories.

The mini map is an exact replica of the main map in every way (resized). If anything looks wrong there then it is wrong in the main map too and because the feedback now says the main map is right, I dare not change anything about it to suit the mini map.