This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 2 of 15
aeronautic wrote:
So that everyone is aware, my normal procedure with development is, I have lots of ideas of backgrounds, colours and textures and I like to put up a demo to see what direction is being suggested, then I improve on the combinations after the 2nd Demo, which is usually putting right all the concerns about info and layout.
GB 1st Demo GB4 (click to show)
GB5 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
For the labels do you have to have the & one's? Can't you just pick either or? I think you could leave as Essex and Sussex and it might look a little less crowded. Not that it currently looks bad, but just throwing it out there.

I do think you can abbreviate Gloucestershire to Glos. or just Gloucester.

But that's really up to the national's I think and how they'd want it in there :)
Vexer wrote:
Here's my idea for the colors. I moved the background color away from purple and toward blue. I actually started changing the colors on the left side, then the right and discovered that the old colors worked pretty well with what I came up with for the left side.

I didn't have time to try per territory colors or shading but I added some shading using photoshop's satin layer effect and I added some shading around the territory lines.

I know these colors are already widely used but I think that because this map is one of the standard maps that every risk site needs that it's appropriate to have a similar color scheme as the world map.

Vexer's colors (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
colors are nice, the darker colors make the current text easier on the eyes.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
PsymonStark wrote:
The Vexer's colours in GB look gorgeous, particularly blue, yellow and green. Not sure of those in Ireland, though... it looks like too harsh to me. What about swapping the orange in N. England with the red in S. Ireland?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Cireon wrote:
Pfft, we all know Ireland needs to be green.

[image]

On a more serious note: I think the colours in general look great, especially the Great Britain ones, but Ireland looks darker and less nice to me.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
Not bad! But I also liked the rainbow version by Aero with such a great light effect. But the darker version by Vexer is more readable that's true. I seriously think Ireland should stay green. And for some reason I think the most-similar-to-ocean colour should be assigned to Scotland.

Sea labels in my opinion were more elegant when they were upright.

And for the flags I suggest something like this.
[image]
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
I think the dark blue works best for West Country because it's not a big region. I'd say that if we put it in Scotland, if we take a quick look we could maybe see a half empty map!

I agree with Bishop on the sea labels. The English Channel looks so weird, it isn't even in its correct angle. I'd prefer it either parallel to the land or horizontal.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Please see my previous post about sea labels, where I need to use my Photoshop CS at home to utilise the tools I need for them, they have only been rotated after suggestion from Matty to rotate them due to looking the same as the title and signatures.

They were a temp adjustment.

I will wait for a bit more feedback before messing with Vexer's lovely colours.
Thank you for taking the time to show us some new land colours Vexer.
If I don't have the tools in Photoshop CS2 to keep the techniques he used in Photoshop CS6, I will buy a new Photoshop very soon.

Could I also have feedback on The_Bishop's suggestions?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
I personally preferred the light blue scotland lol. Aero's rainbow color scheme was very pretty, although maybe too bright.

I've never liked the original color scheme on GB. Partly it's because the saturation I think was way overdone.

I like the individual colors on Vexers better, the green, yellow, blue all look very fine. But I don't think as a whole it looks better than aero's. Maybe flip them all back to the where they were on aero's and I think it would look great. (I know it might make Scotland fade into the back, but I really don't think they look their best in Vexer's map, they don't flow as well). I guess I'm just echoing Bishop's opinion here lol.

Bishop's right about the flags. Those would look very nice the way he's got it.
Matty wrote:
Naathim already said what I wanted to say, I really liked the rainbow colours, although they were too lightbulby.

But then I also kinda like Vexers colour scheme (except for red ireland), I wonder what would happen if we take Aeros colours, but use Vexers green for South Ireland and maybe make Aeros North Ireland a bit less ugly.

I like Bisshops flag idea better, but still unsure about the flat looking land behind them.

Not sure about the sea labels, I kidna like the left one, but not the right ones.

Oh, Vexers background colour is much better.

Hmmmz, now I look at it again I'm not so sure about the light bulb remark, it seems to be mostly Ireland, especially on the minimap.

Probably unnescessary and too early, but the mountains are a bit too thin.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, I think the choice of the colours is a very important one.
If I can put a request, my desire would be to see also Aero's version less bright and Vexer's version in rainbow order. Just to see how they look. This way we can have 4 options rather then only 2. But I think for some reason Vexer doesn't like the rainbow order.
emjaydee wrote:
I personally prefer Aero's colour scheme. Vexer's is too dark for me.
The_Bishop wrote:
Not that I want to tell an Englishman who's the Queen... But I think there is some geographical mistakes, unless my source is wrong.
http://www.freeusandworldmaps.com/html/Countries/Europe%20Countries/UnitedKingdomPrint.html
Avon county doesn't exist anymore, it has been divided in several small counties since 1996 but still the name is in use according to Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avon_%28county%29
The problem is: as it is drawn Somerset territory already contains Avon, and where is the word "Avon" actually is Gloucestershire county and where is Gloucestershire territory there actually is Hereford & Worcester county.

To make it simpler I think you should adjust the dividers like this, with no changes on the names in use:
Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Avon doesn't exist anymore nor does Strathclyde.

That aside, your points about the territory borders are very good, it actually gave me an idea of how to keep the game-play the same and get rid of the mountains which shouldn't be there.

I will move the borders around a little to suit and rename Gloucestershire - Herefordshire & Avon - Wiltshire, also Powys will incorporate Gwent creating a gap to Glamorgan and there endeth the mountains.

The only thing that will be a little tiny bit inaccurate will be that Wiltshire will have to separate Somerset from Herefordshire and be touching the estuary, but a small price to pay, get ready for complaints from the Bristol people. Unless we call it Avon & Wiltshire?

Thanks Bishop.