• 40 posts
  • Page 3 of 3
naathim wrote:
UGH I hate the GIMP! Good luck mate, you're braver than I am!!

At first glance I was like OMG this is worse than the first try :P

But looking at the regions I think they're pretty good all in all. It's hard to see where the rivers are for me, that's why I was all disappointed at first. People will have to keep a sharp eye out.

It still has a bit of a flow problem I think. Mostly caused by those rivers cutting things up and off. The most obvious of course are Afyon and Aksaray. You've got the connection lines in, so it's not THAT bad. But there'll be a lot of bottle-necking on this one.

Some bonuses that need changing. Marmara red should be +2 (to match Trabazon region in East and to combine with blue region, make sold +3). Black Sea I'd make +3, fair few territories to take it, might as well make it worth it. Mediterranean +3 as well.

I love the Ankara region, very interesting!

Maybe consider taking out the lake/river between Elazig/Tunceli? It's not needed and kind of takes up space/looks distracting. Actually, I'd say take out all the accessory lakes (Bursa, Isparta) just to clean things up a bit?

I would take out the border in Istanbul circle and adjust the border in Koceli to the left a bit. Just to make things more clear.

Adjust the border region around Van/Agri/Vitlis up just a tad to make it easier to see?

Adjust the connection line from Sinop/Trabzon to Sinop/Girusen. That should make the 'super-regions' between the East and the West more equal with three borders each.

Overall I think it should be a fun map. Lot's of places to hole up on this one. People who like to play slow and defensively should like this. Although with limited lateral connectivity, it'll be AWFUL scary to play fog on lol
Pntbttr wrote:
So this is what I plan on changing so far. Any more comments would be appreciated.

Combine Western and Eastern Marmara and change the bonus to +3. Change Central Black Sea and Mediterranean to +3. Change connection from Trabzon to Girusen.

Remove all unnecessary lakes. Remove border in Istanbul and Canakkale and expand Koceli's border. Adjust a couple of borders to make territory connections clearer. Shrink the island on Izmir's (also just noticed I spelled Izmir wrong on the map) coast so the connection is clearer. Remove islands touching the minimap. Make rivers clearer and easier to see.

Should I change Trabzon's border so it isn't touching Sivas? Should I shorten or lengthen any rivers to change gameplay? Is there anything else that needs to be changed?
Matty wrote:
Don't have the time to look at it really well, but, are there 4 territories and 3 circles in the top-left blue region?

Gameply looks ok. Quite some bottlenecks, but defendable regions and plenty of super regions. Should make for some interesting gameplay, but can potentially be stalemating with increasing games and ppl that protect eachother.
It'd be a very interesting map for fixed cards games.

Edit: Trabzon is fine, it's a good territory to build up lots of troops and because of that a good option to go for early, even though it is all borders.
If Manisa touches Afyon (on the left side of the map, green and yellow), then it has one territory less as a bottleneck, would make it a bit easier to break that super region. What do you guys think?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Pntbttr wrote:
Matty
Don't have the time to look at it really well, but, are there 4 territories and 3 circles in the top-left blue region?
This was because the land there is not actually connected. There is water between both sides of Istanbul so originally I had a river running through there but decided to change it to a small part of the outline. This same problem applies to Canakkale and I've decided to just remove the border and fill it in with land.
Fendi wrote:
First off, I would like to apologize in advance because what you're about to read next won't be something from a fairytale.

I know you've worked hard on this map but to me, it still looks like a blob of territories with little air, this is of course due to the geographical location. Which brings me to the next point, even if a location may seem good, turning it to a risk map may prove to be otherwise. The rivers you've added only help the game-play but not the cramped feeling and the attack lines to me are a desperate, forced (not to mention unnatural) solution to make it easier for one person to go from point A to point B.
You may try to add more countries and make the map based on that specific location because right now, Turkey alone is not working for me, sorry...But who knows, others may disagree with me..
PsymonStark wrote:
Sadly I have to agree with Fendi. The map as is is very confusing. Those rivers create a lot of difficulties to fully study the map to see how it works.

I believe that a Black Sea map could be a better idea. As it is now, Turkey could remain as 14 of the territories of that map, being divided in two by the border between Ankara and Antalya regions with Adana and Tokat regions. My guess would be that the map could cover Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, part of Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Moldova, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro.

The area I'm speaking of is the one in this map:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wzyc0vv3k44jyk/blacksea.jpg?dl=0

This is just a suggestion, and is up to you to see if it's a better option or not, and consequently to ignore it.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Pntbttr wrote:
I expected that this might happen and I'm not too disappointed that the idea failed. I wanted to try one more time at turning Turkey into a map and I think I got a lot closer than last time. I also got a little bit of practice with learning Gimp's basics. I think I'll try Psymon's Black Sea idea but if anyone thinks I should continue with this map let me know.
aeronautic wrote:
The Black Sea is a very good idea and maybe it's just me, but it reminds me of the Jungle of Despair and could be the perfect map to replace it... without the trees of course!!! :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wzyc0vv3k44jyk/blacksea.jpg?dl=0
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Pntbttr wrote:
I'll try the Black Sea map but I'm going to make one more update to this map before I completely decide to trash it to see how it looks with some of the suggested changes and so I can try a few more things with gimp (I think I found a good way to make an outline and I want to try working with some textures and stuff so I know I can actually do some of the graphics).
aeronautic wrote:
There is a Map Dabble thread if you want to try out stuff and ask questions for those who know your program to help.
http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1803&page=12#post-33245
But of course feel free to continue here, I'm sure if you are looking for tools on Gimp, somebody will know about them.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.