• 40 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
Pntbttr wrote:
http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/Pntbttr/media/1.5%20Post_zpsexe1j9qw.jpg.html

So, I decide I should finish this map but I'm using Gimp now instead of PDN, so bear with me. The original problem with this map was that I had 81 territories which happened to be way too many due to the dimensions of the map. I solved this by changing the territories from provinces to sub-regions. This is a small map it's got as many territories as the Caribbean map.

Territories: 26
Regions: 7

Any suggestions on gameplay, region bonuses, etc. I think I need to redo the outline it doesn't look to good. Any suggestions for GIMP? I didn't spend any time on the graphics, I'll get to that.

By the way...how do you guys do that thing where you just post the picture under a grey tab instead of posting it on a site and then posting the URL?
PsymonStark wrote:
Quote any of the posts where this is done and check the structure. It's an image inside an spoiler, using the direct link in the photobucket page:

Turkey 1.5 (click to show)

I don't know about gameplay, it's a very small map. Only thing I know is that these labels need an ortographic check ;) Also you'll need to distinguish i from dotless i. Don't worry about that because I can take care of it later.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Wow, now to see you Pnt!

I didn't checked the map yet but it seems cool. And for showing the nude image all you need is to right-click it and select your browser function "View Image", then you post the Url.

Like that:
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah126/Pntbttr/1.5%20Post_zpsexe1j9qw.jpg
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Pntbttr wrote:
this is what I used to create the territories. I figured it would work even though it's more of a statistical purpose map.

12 Regions
26 Sub-Regions
81 Provinces
957 Districts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUTS_of_Turkey
Pntbttr wrote:
@PsymonStark I can change the spelling problems easily because of the text editing feature on GIMP I just didn't feel like spending the time on it just yet cause I needed to know if the map had any serious problems first.
Pntbttr wrote:
Could anyone that edited any of my maps while I was gone send me the newest files of the maps in case I ever decide to do another update or if I just want to play with it or whatever. The maps that appear to have been edited are:
Eastern Asia
Europe
Mediterranean States
San Francisco
South Africa
Central America

I think the people with the updates are PsymonStark, Vexer and maybe Leedog. Great jobs by the way! The updates look amazing!
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Its always nice to see a new map suggestion appear! The template looks sound, with the bonuses correct, I would say.
These are not suggestions, just for consideration:
1) There are a number rivers you could include for impassables. The reason I say this is because the map as a whole looks a little like a block of territories (much like Dominican Republic map). I think a few impassbles would definitely improve the map as well as the gameplay shape.
Turkey Rivers (click to show)
2) The territory "Kayseri" looks like it holds a lot of importance gameply-wise. Not necessarily a bad thing.
3) Maybe colour the Turkish part of Cyprus in the same colour as the Mediterranean region.

:)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

naathim wrote:
Is very small map. Looks too easy to block self in or get a stalemate. Looks like you could draw a line down the middle. One person gets half, somebody else gets other half and you fight over Samsun, Kayseri, and Hathay.

Course it's not like all games would play out like that. But I could see lots of stalemates on it.

And unlike caribbean or dominican republic it doesn't give you the chance to really gain any regions in a cap map. So you just sit around swap territories for cards and first to go after whoever makes the first mistake wins. Not my idea of a fun game but I know a lot of people seem to like that style of play lol.
PsymonStark wrote:
Pntbttr - Mar 18, 08:31 PM
Could anyone that edited any of my maps while I was gone send me the newest files of the maps in case I ever decide to do another update or if I just want to play with it or whatever. The maps that appear to have been edited are:
Eastern Asia
Europe
Mediterranean States
San Francisco
South Africa
Central America

I think the people with the updates are PsymonStark, Vexer and maybe Leedog. Great jobs by the way! The updates look amazing!
I am guilty for the last 3 maps. Thanks Pntbttr ^^
aeronautic wrote:
Welcome back pntbttr.

pntbttr
By the way...how do you guys do that thing where you just post the picture under a grey tab instead of posting it on a site and then posting the URL?

I made a Tutorials & Guides page on the Map Creation forum and here is a direct link to a step by step for your question: http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1995&page=2#post-29849

For help on improving the game-play before developing the graphics I would ask naathim, The_Bishop & V98 for suggestions and feedback.
these guys are particularly good at making the game balanced & fun to play. As you know Psymon is an all-rounder and he will be able to help with anything.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
We have so many small maps now that honestly I would be more interested to see the 81 territory version.

Also as it is now it's a unique block, can be good for 2p games bcoz neutrals will create "the shape" but I don't see it very good for 3 or more players.

Virtuosity correctly suggested to add some impassable. Still I'm not sure Turkey can be turned in a good game-play, we can work on it but we have so many maps on progress right now.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
My first thought: this is exactly the same as Dominican republic.

I agree with his eminence. It'll be harder to make this a large map, but you have relatively little sea, less than world expended I'd say, so it should be possible right?

Edit: I just hope the height of the map is not going to prove the bottleneck.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
If going for an 81 territory version, the mini map would have to go to the NE area and the image sized to fill a 1024 page with all the current excess at the bottom cropped of. There will be no problem with the size of the territories then.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
If you guys don't mind, I'll post the last version of the 81 terries map:
Spoiler (click to show)

It's more like a reminder than a version to part from. The standards have really risen since 2012!
aeronautic wrote:
This is good to see, because it shows us the expanse of the land on the page. Notice there is no real place for a mini map, so the height of the page can be added to and utilised for Title, Mini map and Legend/Key.

The Analysts will have to take a look at this for game-play, but at first glance I'd say there are too many airports. 3 or 4 would probably be the maximum needed and which players could still calculate attack & defence paths. With this many, players would feel boggled by attack & defence routes.

Land texture is too similar to sea texture, making blue regions look transparent and indistinguishable. Changing the sea colour would almost certainly eliminate this.
But look at me going on about graphics, we need the analysts in first to settle the game-play & best connectivity and the page has to be elongated to fit the required items in.

LOL, I have never seen this map, even though I was here in 2012 and yet it shares remarkable similarities to the first idea of Melee (scrapped & remade) which BTW was also an 81 territory map.