A map on rails!
  • 77 posts
  • Page 4 of 6
aeronautic wrote:
No staff or players with genuine reasons for concern or suggestion get ignored naathim. I'm sure Psymon will take your concerns on board and seem as they are things that don't affect game-play, they can be done whilst in Beta and along with any other concerns raised.

This map has been inputted and I will make it Beta tomorrow, where I have given extra time for feedback, in case the lack of feedback is because of objection to the type of map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Map for reference (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
My thoughts are:
- good gameplay;
- very nice look;
- cool theme;

but... The location chosen, not very attractive for me. Rarely I will be in the mood to start a war on the Swiss mountain rails.

The same map concept applied to Germany or France parhaps could be better. I don't want to be negative just honest to say what I think. Hopefully the others will think different from me.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
It is apparent that the feedback for this map is very low and what there is of it, is mostly about the location or the colours.

I can't put my finger on the reason for lack of interest, but if it is the fact that it is borderless (P2P), I can say that I have made it Beta and we should also see what the players think.

Thank you for your time and effort put into this map Psymon and I sincerely hope it generates some new and interesting diversity for the players.

Last (stupid to ask this of Psymon) question, have the thumbs been submitted?
PsymonStark wrote:
Surely they have. I left grey circles on those so they look more natural.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Good idea, the map looks really weird in the Create Game area without circles, at least the thumbs will look normal.

As you are probably aware by now, I have created lots of test games on this map and the feedback is very good so far for Capitals, except 3 player, which is prone to stalemate, but that is the case with a lot of maps.

Did you see naathim's suggestion on colours above?
naathim wrote:
Zurich St. Gallen/Liechtenstein is too easy to defend. A Glarus/Pfaffikon connection might help. Or Zug/Pfaffikon.
PsymonStark wrote:
It was intentional, and that's why Zurich St. Gallen bonus is only 3. You can see it as a bigger 4 region.

I'd rather not change it but if more people asks for it I'll add some connection. Adding it would make the region bonus to go up by one thus the total bonus would be 5.

I saw the remark on colours as well but didn't have the time to change it.
The_Bishop wrote:
Two Swiss towns very next to Italy, they have a meaning in my language:
Brusio = buzz
Chiasso = uproar

@Naathim - It's 3 borders like the others, but it's bigger than the others. Doesn't look you can reduce the borders conquering Lichteinshtein. Considering the whole "super-region" like one region formed by 9 territories and 3 borders, giving +4 as bonus, nothing seems to be inappropriate.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
aeronautic - Mar 30, 08:09 PM
It is apparent that the feedback for this map is very low and what there is of it, is mostly about the location or the colours.

I can't put my finger on the reason for lack of interest
The reason why I have not responded much since the beginning is that I thought the map to be pretty good from the start.
There was simply not that much to improve, I don't meddle with capitals and you were doing a good job on the colour scheme :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Going back to the colour scheme, I was noticing I couldn't focus properly on the circles in active play, I have opened other D12 maps in play and have no problem focussing on them. This means that there is an information overload on this map.

I will need others to confirm this, just in case the colours are only affecting me? It could be the arrangement of the colours, the vividness of colour in a focussed area, too much detail in the neutral areas or many other things.
PsymonStark wrote:
¿? I don't understand you... Do you mean the circles don't stand out enough?

You have to think that the only distinction of territories in a p2p map is the proper circle, you don't have borders between them so this may be the problem. The way you look at the map is different I guess...
aeronautic wrote:
I don't know what exactly is causing it, but I can't fix focus on items of any kind on the map. What we need to focus on are circles, so I predominantly mean those are difficult to focus on.

With the Grey Circles above, there is no problem, but when coloured circles are added, the map just has no focal point. It could be the clash of colours.
naathim wrote:
OH, I forgot. I was going to suggest some kind of graphic around the circles. Something like train stations? Maybe like archways or a platform.

Maybe get rid of background color altogether and have colored tracks like on your london map?
aeronautic wrote:
Having looked at many games, many times on this map, I think it just might be the close proximity of the circles on a centrally set map with connection lines that is playing havoc with my focus. The colours may have something to do with it as well, but I am not sure. It could just be me, but unless somebody else sees a similar problem, I would do nothing.
I'm not sure if naathim's suggestion was because of this or if it was just a suggestion he just remembered.