A map on rails!
  • 77 posts
  • Page 3 of 6
naathim wrote:
I much preferred it the other way lol.

I suppose it fits in more with the other maps this way. But it looks so flat and drab and uninteresting now. Switzerland without the lakes :(
PsymonStark wrote:
I'll wait for extra feedback Naat, but I think that this simpler version can afford the lakes. And possibly the S6 line too. I keep the previous version too if people prefer it.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
PsymonStark wrote:
No lakes (click to show)
Lakes (click to show)

I think the lakes version is nicer, but I want to listen other opinions too! For the next version I'll make Zentralschweiz more yellow and Vaud more orange.
The_Bishop wrote:
What Naat says is right, but connections are much more clear for me with no lakes. I would have tried a middle way, just keeping the 2 largest lakes only. Geneva and Constance. The latter has a fork in the West side, it looks like you covered the southern prong with red land.

The smaller lakes also don't seem very accurate, not that they need to be, but just saying, maybe they can go, especially the Maggiore Lake is more in Italy than in Switzer. I'm just suggesting a middle way with the greater lakes only.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
This is looking better, but what I was suggesting which would have given it a similar look to your original map was to use the same colour & intensity colour in-lines on the regions and the same colour light spray within the region, but to fade the in-lines in toward the centre, giving it a bright vibrant look but not looking like coloured outlines.

Also, I thought you would have kept the outside shadow around the outline, which would have given it more separation from the background.

I still prefer it without lakes.

With the suggestions I have made here, I believe it will take on a new more visually enhanced look.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Maybe I should do what Bishop say and add Geneva and Constance lakes?
aeronautic wrote:
What a huge difference to the vibrancy and life of the map.

One little thing for me, the centre of the blue region looks like it's dirty... more of a brown colour than blue. Perhaps the light spray didn't coat it enough?

You could try it with two lakes if you wish, but I think you have the best version here.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
The colour of the spray is a darker one then the blue contour. I fixed that now.
Spoiler (click to show)

I'll trust you on the lakes, because it looks like a couple of blue spots in the corners of the map don't seem very nice...

Any more things you all want to point out?
aeronautic wrote:
This is looking more intuitive and aesthetically pleasing, it has nice rich colours but not overbearing.

I foresee 1 other problem when optimised for Beta:
I appreciate the effort to keep the font as the original map, but it is on the verge of unreadable and I think you may have a problem when it is optimised. Do you want to try taking it up 1 size or even 1/2 size and lowering the colour from white to light grey to compensate the glare?
As an expert in detail, you could just try testing the optimisation first and see if you can actually distinguish letters and special characters, even already knowing what they are, pretend you are someone that has never seen the labels before. (Edit): Use the U in Zurich as the best reference of readability, because it currently isn't readable.

(Edit): I don't remember, did you post the amended Cap suggestions?
PsymonStark wrote:
Not in map form.

I'll edit the umlaut character for Zürich and Pfäffikon.

Every map I post is already approximately 350kb in size, already optimized.
aeronautic wrote:
Good to know, then with editing those two, we have a readable optimised map.

Let's wait 24 hours for further feedback and let's make sure we have the Cap positions set ready to go.
PsymonStark wrote:
Amended caps (click to show)
Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
This will be a nice test piece to see how the players react to a P2P map.

As I've said before, it isn't something I feel we should have throughout the map choices like in CC, but one maybe two for variety of choice should be welcomed.
The fact that you have chosen a specific reason (Transport) for the P2P theme, as Glanru did for his, makes it a theme map, which we also have a few of which are popular for that reason, such as maps based on TV programs.
I prefer theme maps to concept maps, which really bug me when I see maps made out of everyday objects and cartoon characters like a lot of Risk sites make/allow.

28 hours on, there doesn't seem to be any feedback +/-, which normally means there are no problems / objections so we should go ahead and input it for Beta when you are ready Spy.
aeronautic wrote:
I am assuming that nobody has any concerns or objections to this map, because there is no feedback for the latest updates and intuitiveness improvements.

It has not been set as Beta yet, so there is still time for anyone to voice their opinion on this map. There may be something I am overlooking or people might have a general concern about a P2P map, however, I would like to at least try it amongst the players and see how they take to it.

As I have said many times before, it doesn't matter if it doesn't get played a lot, as long as it is suitable to the site and gives a variety of choice.
naathim wrote:
Well I'm not a huge fan.

Maybe change or at least dial down the orange and pink regions?

There just seems to be a huge disconnect between the background and the gameplay region themes.

But I'm just one person, so feel free to ignore me ^^