A Hand Drawn Ancient Paper Map
  • 103 posts
  • Page 6 of 7
aeronautic wrote:
6-9p Caps updated.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Awesome. Haven't reviewed the cap positions (others are better at that and have more time), but the map and gameplay look good.

I never have been a fan of carribean like defendible maps, but I will defenitely play this one now.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Have you updated the image and connections?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
No, I was going to do it all in one go.
I just need to know there are no objections before doing so?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
There are not, but maybe we will have to get the points back from some games if the new connections mess up the games.

The problem is we'll never have 0 games running on the map... Someone more qualified maybe should share his opinion?
aeronautic wrote:
You directed me to a post in the Solar System thread where Vexer stated that existing games will not be affected by the changes, only those created after the changes.

The new map version is uploaded, new connections added and Capital positions altered.

Let's try it soon.
PsymonStark wrote:
Capitals won't be changed but I think adjacencies will, and for sure the image will. As it's beta it shouldn't be much of a problem because this is one of the things that can happen during beta.

Anyway, let's see what can the map give now.
aeronautic wrote:
You know what, I don't think we have to worry, there are no pending games in the long term lobby and the Played Games 71 hasn't changed for a few days, but will change when I create 1 right now.
Other than the ones I am creating, I doubt there are any games active on this map.
aeronautic wrote:
That last post lost me BETA

Edit 1: What does everyone think about a connection from Rock Fields to Cherry Grove suggested to me by OldDogGen ?
It was noticed that with the current connections, the NW Cap in 3 player got a more defendable bonus advantage and of course less borders to gain access to that island, but it also had a higher spawn blocking risk with it only having 2 exits from the island (4 possible territories to create a spawn block, 2 for each exit), which could essentially be called the Cap connections because all Caps have to leave the island on which they reside in order to attack another Cap.

Edit 2:
@Matty (below), aAAa created on 26 October 2014, no wonder I hadn't seen the Games Played change in a while.

Edit 3:
I have ended these games by joining them and leaving them: 382869, 382910, 383452, 383543. They were obviously games where the host had left but the game was awaiting invited players.

Edit 2 : (well, 4 actually)
Should I explain the new connections and apologise to the guys in the active long term game?

Edit 5 by Matty: (because, why not make it more confusing?)
I already added a little bit there, but you could add more if you like.
Matty wrote:
http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=385235
This one is active.

These are pending (all live games): 382869, 382910, 383452, 383543

Edit: @Aero's post above:
I think adding that connection will make the map a bit more symmetric and fair. The latter is an improvement, the first depends on who you are. It's not completely symmetric, so no problem there.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
LOL my 4th edit ran out of time and wouldn't let me change it.

Okay, back to business.

I have made another connection from Rock Fields to Cherry Grove.
I believe this is the final amendment and hope it makes an improved difference to the game play.

I will be creating some pointless test games of all different game types to speed up the testing in Beta, if peeps would care to indulge me?
The_Bishop wrote:
I wanted to post here but you go too fast on making changes. I have not the time to reflect. I mean the first design was to make a three-symmetric map with fringes and it was something special that I was glad to try. The game-play didn't result good as expected, okay, but maybe it is not the case to completely change it, I mean too drastic: the fringes had 1 border only, now they have 3, but we didn't tried 2 borders for example. If we are going to make another Ancient Realm or Anchor Bay well, then it is not so interesting anymore for me. Plus those long dashed lines are weird for me, as it was before the sea connections were only where the lands are very next each other.

Since I suggest another version, more respectful of the geography of the map and closer to the initial design.
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q700/Photo_Bishop/Brethren-Coast-004_zpsa4b6a280.png

The fringes, or let call them Islands (but I am not sure they are islands really) still are perfectly equal, all with 2 adjacent borders, but it is different how they are connected to the central Peninsula. The eastern one can push to encapsulate one more region, the westerns can be joined to form a large hyper-region with 3 borders only. I hope it can be tested but it seems like you already went for a final version...
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
@The_Bishop this is perhaps another option or possibility. However, tests are going quite well so far and barring the need to move 1 or 2 Caps in Capital Games due to one more new connection, the current connections are favoured.
When it comes to Maps, I just like Psymon, prefer to move quickly before the suggestions and contradictions become a minefield. You see, I understand that there are another million combinations of possibilities for this and every other map, but we have to make only one.

It was actually your valued opinion (Page 5) that was sufficient for me to begin work on the new connections. I also wished for the connections to look different to each other to be in-keeping with the hand drawn map. The 3 connections from each Fringe / Island now suit the Map Making Guide better in creating 3 exits for Capitals. There is now very little chance of a spawn block for all Capital games 2p - 9p.
The_Bishop
I agree with your thoughts aeronautic.

Cireon
I think adding connections between Wasteland and Burial Gates and between Deer Plateau and Shore Farm would already help a lot, and by connecting Blye (blue?) Abbey with Black Forest, you would make sure no region is completely encapsulated by another.

This was the proposal.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I know it was my opinion, but then I changed my mind. By the way it doesn't seem so bad, I'm just a bit a sad that the map lost its special feature and became more like a standard. But still congrats for the amazing graphic touch, there's a lot of nice details.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein