A Hand Drawn Ancient Paper Map
  • 103 posts
  • Page 5 of 7
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Created a 5-player deathmatch on this map (I know it was made for capitals). Game 382723. It may be interesting. Please join!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
It was based around 3 player Capitals V98, but I would be very interested in seeing how it handles all formats.
If the current connections cause real problems, I will make 3 new additional connections, but I would truly like it to be unique and as long as it doesn't give unfair advantages, I'd like it to stay as it is. I am in the game you created so, I will see first hand how it pans out.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
UltrasPlot wrote:
Please don't change it aero, except program it to specifically give me a better drop :}
emjaydee wrote:
Think the 6 player caps positions need changing. As it stands, the 3 caps in the centre get a very raw deal whilst the other 3 can conquer entire islands.

I personally would change the caps to 2 on each corner island and leave the centre completely free of caps - this would prevent anyone getting a clear advantage. My suggestions for caps would be:

Quarry Pits, Shore Farm
Deer Plateau, Burial Gates
Wasteland, Blye Abbey
The_Bishop wrote:
I think you would spend too many troops to conquer the whole "island", so that you won't get a real advantage, I guess but not tried yet. But I know 6 caps on small maps tend to end at the 1st round of turn-ins. I thought to have some problems like that for 4 caps, but not for 6.

@MJD, are you referring to a game played by you or are you speaking by means of your impressions? Also, the solution proposed by you is something I would like to avoid, being too much based on killing your only neighbour.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, Mjd can confirm that we tested the 6 caps immediately after and it doesn't look convenient for the caps in the fringes to conquer the whole region. Except some rare cases of course. Really it looks more like the caps in the center are favorized!

I also played several 1v1 games, capitals, and it looks pretty pleasant, interesting game-play different from others. Some times it's brutal because you want to clean the fringe from opponent's troops but then you take the risk to not finish the "job" ending the turn ultra-exposed... Then you are out at the 1st round!! Since I think it's better to use caution and make the job little by little.

I would like to try most of all 3p and 4p caps, but not got the time yet. Any feedback by anybody is welcome! Thanks :)
aeronautic wrote:
I have tested loads of game types and no matter what, I have grown to hate the bottle necks I made on this map in it's current form, they ruin all strategic thoughts and just make the map way too easy to stalemate. It is pointless adding my personal findings on all the different game types individually because it was designed as a small map for mainly 3 players and it isn't working.

I would like to add some connections, do you all agree and if so, which do you recommend?
I suggest from the smaller islands to the each other, but currently they do not allow connection to all the 1 bonus regions, so I would like to play around with the boundaries and borders too.

Perhaps even add some territories??
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
I agree with your thoughts aeronautic.

Cireon
I think adding connections between Wasteland and Burial Gates and between Deer Plateau and Shore Farm would already help a lot, and by connecting Blye (blue?) Abbey with Black Forest, you would make sure no region is completely encapsulated by another.
This was the proposal.
Matty wrote:
I'm all for adding some connections, but you should then probably change the capital locations as well.

It's beta, so it should be ok.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I have decided to put three new connections where Cireon suggested and if there is no objection, I will change the map upload & connections still in Beta.
Before I do that though, I will review the Capital positions and see if any have to be moved.
Brethren Coast extra connections (click to show)
The connections have slight gap differences as they are meant to be hand drawn.
BETA wrote:
Will you keep the BONUSES the same?

EDIT: Now, I see. the +2's have to be defended on all three territories. and the +1's would need to defend only two.
aeronautic wrote:
I have moved some of the Capital positions around to accommodate the new connections, please review these and see if any problems?
I have widened the steps in many cases and evened things out a lot more, because the new connections allow Caps to go further inside the outer islands.
Brethren Caps 2 - 5 (click to show)
Brethren Caps 6 - 9 (click to show)
2p & 7p have not moved at all.

@Matty if the Caps positions are to be moved and there are long term games on this map, how will this affect the troop numbers in the Caps, will they exchange with the new territory position, what if this is currently occupied by an opponent???
PsymonStark wrote:
No, if read from one of the programmers that caps wouldn't change. It was on a cbt map thread...

Edit: It was Vexer here.

By the way for 9p instead of Highland and Priory Torre, why not Dusty Plain and Monastic Fields?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Spymoon.

(Edit)
I will check your 9p suggestion now.

(Edit 2)
Yes your suggestion is good. I was trying to push the steps further apart, but some then are 2 and some are 3, but yours keeps them mostly 2.

(Edit 3)
Aero in UK is also a chocolate bar with air bubbles in it.
PsymonStark wrote:
You're welcome, AuraNotice ^^

Spoiler (click to show)

Edit: Just for fun, I always lose the edition game :P
Edit2: I give up ^^
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.