3p caps map
  • 51 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
aeronautic wrote:
I'm afraid the boss has spoken and that leaves you with but 2 choices Votazap, a complete remake or new idea.
If I was you, I'd do what I did with Melee, use the first map for feedback, ideas and a feel for what they want and then make a new one on those guidelines. I hope you have some idea of what is expected from this.
My graphics ability was always there, because I was able to do the graphic work for 2 other maps and assist in many others, before remaking Melee, it was just my ability to think risk map design and aesthetics that was lacking.
Please don't give up on maps, you have good ideas, you just need the feel for the aesthetics.
I tell you what, when I get some time, I will send you an outline of a map with territories to suit what you are trying to achieve and that is a 3p Capitals map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Votazap wrote:
Thanks man but I think i am going to "retire" trying to make a map, at least for awhile.
Vexer wrote:
I'd first like to say to Votazap that the map isn't horrible. On most other risk sites it would easily pass.

The concept is good. I am very interested in a 3p cap map. The problem is that it looks like a made up world. It doesn't look real enough. Humans do a pretty poor job of mimicking nature. We focus too much on patterns. A computer can help add randomness to compensate for this.

Here's a quick guide to making up a world that looks somewhat realistic.

Step 1:
Render clouds using black and white
Adjust the contrast to the max so that all you have is two colors. One color is the land and one is the sea.
Keep rendering clouds and adjusting the contrast until you get something you like.
Spoiler (click to show)

Step 2:
Move some stuff around and clean up the little islands and lakes. Make sure you have a corner free for a mini map.
Spoiler (click to show)

Step 3:
Give the land and water colors. You can add an outline in photoshop quickly with a stroke. If you are using paint.net then skip this step until you get feedback.
Spoiler (click to show)

Post it and see if people think it's aesthetically pleasing enough to continue with. Then you can add territory boundaries.

This is the method I used on Ancient Realm aka the example map.
Votazap wrote:
@Vexer, are you saying I should completely start over but continue with the same concept or just rework eveything with the guide you made?
Vexer wrote:
Yeah, just reboot the project with the same concept. You can even use the outline I made if people like the look of it.

Does anyone think it looks good enough to turn into a map?