by Clarke
  • 26 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
Clarke wrote:
I have decided that YES I will put in all the accents on all of the words. But this will not be done until the rest of the map is approved for inclusion on D12.

This way I don't take the time to do it (manually) and then be told "make the font bigger" or "Use another font" or whatever.

So once the map is approved for D12, I will fix the accents then resubmit.

Thanks, Psymon
cbt711 wrote:
That was a pretty informative story. Although I believe the dad stabbing the man with a knife just because his daughter was verbally insulted resulted in the deaths, not the accent itself.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well maybe. But it makes my point. Things can mean different things when an small accent changes. By the way, I fixed in my map the spelling of Ä°stanbul :P

I'm fine with that, Clarke. I'll help you with that if you want. If your font doesn't admit these characters, I have a program to modify it so you can copy and paste from wiki, and can look accurate.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
naathim wrote:
Clarke, if I may suggest, just copy and paste the names used out of wikipedia into the font of your choice. The accents and different letters should carry over into your program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Iceland

Akranes*, Akureyri*, Árnessýsla, Austur-Barðastrandarsýsla, Austur-Húnavatnssýsla, Austur-Skaftafellssýsla, Borgarfjarðarsýsla, Dalasýsla, Eyjafjarðarsýsla, Gullbringusýsla, Hafnarfjörður*, Húsavík*, Ísafjörður*, Keflavík*, Kjósarsýsla, Kópavogur*, Mýrasýsla, Neskaupstaður*, Norður-Ísafjarðarsýsla, Norður-Múlasýsla, Norður-Þingeyjarsýsla, Ólafsfjörður*, Rangárvallasýsla, Reykjavík*, Sauðárkrókur*, Seyðisfjörður*, Siglufjörður*, Skagafjarðarsýsla, Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla, Strandasýsla, Suður-Múlasýsla, Suður-Þingeyjarsýsla, Vestmannaeyjar*, Vestur-Barðastrandarsýsla, Vestur-Húnavatnssýsla, Vestur-Ísafjarðarsýsla, Vestur-Skaftafellssýsla

Also, I think the map is ready to go. Looks fantastic. Can't wait to play!! Also is Hoth a joke or is that really a place?
Clarke wrote:
Hoth and Husqvarna are not actual Icelandic places. Just thought that would be funny. Also the Icelandic words for Whale and Shark are in there I think...

Clarke wrote:
I would like a formal admin evluation/review of my Iceland map. It has been up here for 5 weeks with not a single word. I feel it is my best work to date.

Here is the link:

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Richard_B_Clarke/media/D12%20Maps/Iceland_zps99befc1a.jpg.html
PsymonStark wrote:
I am not an admin nor anything similar, but I do have serious concerns about this map. No offense, but you can't claim this is an Iceland map when you just took the form of the island, some toponyms, split it as you wanted, and as you got more territories than names, you just figure out some, like an Star Wars planet or a Swedish chainsaw enterprise. If it's funny let's change Nevada for Tatooine, and put Coca-Cola instead of Georgia in the USA map! Getting a realistic outline is part of map making. And that's why I only put 35 territories on my map and took a lot of time of dividing and naming them to fit as much as possible both geographical accuracy and gameplay.

There are not many Icelandic players here, but if they sign in and see this map, they would probably get angry and leave the site. If you want to do something like that, I'd suggest you by doing a fictional map, where you can put everything anyway you want without any possible consequences.

Ah, and to be ready I think you'll need some extra things, like removing all the dead white pixels scattered along the outlines, giving some texture to the glaciers, make them less eye-catching, and probably some more to the land. And change Vesturland color because it's very similar to the ocean one and thus difficult to distinguish. I also think that the title doesn't fit the map style and stands too much.

These are my appreciations, please don't take them as an attack, but as a way to improve your skill!
Clarke wrote:
Keep in mind that he also has made an Iceland map, so maybe is is knocking mine to hope his is selected as the future Iceland map. I am not saying that to be the case, just a factor.

Once again, I would like a formal ADMIN review of my map. THANKS!!!

But to address his comments: 1) For much of Iceland, there are no names for areas. I used proper names as much as I could. Then I used Icelandic words and finally a few words that sounded Scandinavian. I would hope all of the players from Iceland who might play this map in the future would have a sense of humor. But, like with the accents, I would agree that if the names of the territories are the only hurdle, I would change them.

I don't see a lot of dead white pixels along the outlines but I will check again and fix the ones I find. Okay I can see your point about the glaciers. Pure white might be too much. Good point, thanks! I love the title and the the crest so I want to leave them as is.
PsymonStark wrote:
Oh, if I wanted to knock your map out I wouldn't be trying to get yours better, but mine... No one has commented on it either, but that's pretty usual I'd say.
naathim wrote:
You gotta have respect for the source. Find the appropriate names. That's pretty much a non-starter. Here's a handy source that took me all of ten seconds to find, lots of place names to adapt for you map: http://www.lmi.is/en/okeypis-kort/

I also agree with Psymon about the blue region being too close in shade to the sea color.

Hopefully someone makes their way here eventually for a formal review, then you'll have some official direction to take it in. Being stuck in limbo is no fun :/
Vexer wrote:
@ clarke. Right now Fendi is doing two jobs, running the site and head cartographer. One of those jobs alone is a full time job yet she also works 60 hours a week at a real job. We need a head cartographer but haven't found anyone that is ready yet. Until then maps will have to wait.

We have had the same problem over and over again. Players make more than one map at a time. We only have time for one map at a time. We just finished the solar system map. The next map will be chosen based on which one is closest to completion. It's up to the commenters in the forum to get a map to a point where fendi can step in a help finish it up.