by Clarke
  • 26 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Clarke wrote:
Here is my latest map. In Iceland they spell Iceland as "ISLAND" with an accent on the I. The logo is their coat of arms. The large white impassible areas are actual glaciers that exist in Iceland.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Richard_B_Clarke/media/D12%20Maps/Iceland_zps4bef7886.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Funnily, PsymonStark and made an Iceland map previously. Here is his...

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/PsymonStark7/media/Pseudoprojects/Island_zpsd6a57974.jpg.html

cbt711 wrote:
Holy hell man, where do you get all the free time?

Pretty cool. I would put a drop shadow between land and water, and fade the scraped ice texture over the land so it's barely visible. Cool effect for the water / ice though.

I have 20/15 vision, and I can barely read the territory names though.

Gameplay looks fun to me, but that Northwest territory can't be worth 3 with one defense point. I'd put an attack line from Drangsnes or Verterbyggo to an adjacent region.
PsymonStark wrote:
Oh man, I have an outline of Iceland since about two years. But my map it's only 35 territories.

I'll upload it later, I guess...
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Clarke wrote:
@CBT>I thought about that attack line. This is my first rough draft. Thanks for the feedback.

@ PsymonStark>Would love to see your Iceland.
PsymonStark wrote:
http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/PsymonStark7/media/Pseudoprojects/Island_zpsd6a57974.jpg.html

There it is. It's just the outline, but is completely different from the Clarke's one. Opinions?
naathim wrote:
IT'S SO PRETTY I HATE YOU!!!

ehem.

I don't really care for the parti-colored dots. Or are those just meant to offset the regions more? The regulation d12 give a good set of continuation with the different maps, so I'd stick with that.

CBT had it right, tone down the background/texture and add connection between Vunpronouncable and Olafsvik.

Maybe a few less territories? Not as few as Psymon's (don't like small maps lol), but not quite so many. Maybe three-four less in purple and pink, one or two less in the others?

People may like defensible regions, but they like HAVING them even more. This would take what? 5 rounds or more to get control of a region in the East? Meanwhile whoever gains the two 1 territories or the 3 bonus branchy West region have a major advantage.

Gyawd it's too pretty. What program do you use?
Clarke wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "parti-colored dots". Do you mean the troop circles? Those are the actual troop colored circles we use on D12. I put them there to show the spaces can fit the troop circles. It is one of the tips from Vexer on the advice page for map makers.

I will tone down the textures and I will put in the connection line.

Okay I can reduce the number of territories, but another thing Vexer had mentioned before is the desire for larger maps. But I will take your advice.
naathim wrote:
But the troop circles are different colors, didn't know if that was on purpose or what. Usually they're just grey.

Iceland just feels like it should be more of a mid-small map. But I suppose you could put in any number of territories you dang well please. Maybe pick a larger place where you can do more regions total... or if instead of making fewer territories, divide those bigger regions up...
Clarke wrote:
Here is the updated Iceland. The changes on this update are (thanks naathim, Psymon, and CBT for your feedback):

1) Larger font size on the territories (was 8 now 10)
2) Reduced the number of territories on the larger regions by 2 to 3 per region.
3) Changed the region bonus accordingly due to changing the number of territories.
4) Connecting line in NW corner between the tan and blue regions.
5) Added a lower left drop shadow to the island (great idea CBT - I LOVE IT!!!)
6) Faded the texture on the land but left it as is on the water.
7) Added the white glow around the coat of arms and title.

Here is the link. I feel like it is formally ready for admin review. What do you think?

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Richard_B_Clarke/media/D12%20Maps/Iceland_zps99befc1a.jpg.html
PsymonStark wrote:
I think that you need to rewrite the territory names accurately.

P=/=Þ, o=/=ð...

Also, Suðurland can't be a territory, is a whole region. Same for Vesturland, Austurland, Vestfirdir. Better be named Spregisandur, Búðardalur, put Husey south and name Egilsstaðir the north territory, Reykhólar respectively.
Clarke wrote:
No changes will be made to the territory labels. Much of Iceland had NO labels on the areas I was researching. So I used the provence/region names for territories on my map and I am fine with it.

If the Icelandic Ambassador to the USA calls me in protest I will change it.

PsymonStark wrote:
Oh come on. Are you serious? You wouldn't accept a change for accuracy?

Maybe I'm the most picky person you'll find around here with names and so. I would probably even work my way around to help to do it if you asked me to. And you tell me: NO changes because I'm fine.

Ask any Iceland user what does he/she think. Maybe it's not important for you if I write Wiscnosin, Pensilvania or Masacchusets in a USA map but many other people would complain.

I just try to help you to improve your maps like everyone here. Please, don't forget it. I don't want to give more work than needed.
Clarke wrote:
I didn't misspell any words. I just didn't put in the accents. I am not going to manually draw little accents on about 40 words...

I would like all of our Icelandic D12 players to weigh in on the topic.
PsymonStark wrote:
Ah, and by the way, sorry for reposting, but not putting the accents is also misspelling. You English native speakers don't have any, but there are meaning differences between words which only differs by an accent. In Turkish you even need to mark if the i has a point above it or not:

http://gizmodo.com/382026/a-cellphones-missing-dot-kills-two-people-puts-three-more-in-jail