39 territories! (I may have miscounted)
  • 45 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
jtemple507 wrote:
Hello! This is a new map I'm making, based on the situation in the Pacific Theater of World War II at the end of 1942. I don't have names for the territories in there yet, and I didn't finish the ocean. I should have names in and the ocean colored soon. How does the gameplay look?
Spoiler (click to show)
This is a rushed post, I have to get ready for school now.
Thanks,
JT
The_Bishop wrote:
The gameplay looks perfectly balanced!!

I cannot see any territories, sorry!
:(
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
jtemple507 wrote:
Great! I'm working on the territory names and circles now! The minimap will be below Hawaii.
Thanks,
JT
The_Bishop wrote:
I meant, I cannot see anything inside the spoiler, I cannot see your map! It's only me or you also guys see the spoiler being empty?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
jtemple507 wrote:
Ah! Okay! The spoiler must have messed up the link. Here: http://imgur.com/epZ6bpU
I used a program called Sumopaint on my Chromebook. I will eventually go to Photoshop. I'm trying to figure out how to put the minimap in and figure out the regions and bonuses right now.
Cireon wrote:
This maps covers a very similar area to the Eastern Asia map. Not saying that is necessarily a bad thing though, but having very similar maps is not what we would want I think.

Also, how are you going to connect all the islands? I am very curious what you'll come up with for the huge empty areas.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
jtemple507 wrote:
There's an Eastern Asia map? I'll look for it using the Create Game button.
I will probably connect islands that fleets visited, or islands that seem logical to connect. For example, Hawaii would be connected to Midway because of the sailing of the American fleet to Midway from Pearl Harbor when they broke the Japanese code and learned their plan of attack. But I won't have something ridiculous like connect Japan all the way to Hawaii.
Right now I'm having trouble getting the minimap to work right and get the territory circles in. I might have to enlarge some of the small islands for the territory circles to fit!
I edited out some of my planned territories and added a few and it ended up that the new total of territories is 34.
aeronautic wrote:
I can't see an image in the spoiler. Perhaps there is something wrong in the link that other browsers automatically correct, please check this.
Sorry, I see you added another fresh link lower down.

Wow that (below) just happened while I was typing!!! Okay I see the spoiler now.
It would be better to put this link in the spoiler?? http://i.imgur.com/epZ6bpU.jpg

Intriguing map!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I fixed that for him :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
What about a dark water ring background just around the outer Japanese owned islands with dividers (Iwo Jima, Pelileu, Guadalcanal, Tarawa & Wake). This could be classed as a Region where all islands within can attach each other.
Guam should be part of the same region but attackable by all the islands above surrounding it and you can put what ever links from the ringed islands to wherever you think they can attack or defend from.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
jtemple507 wrote:
Good idea, aeronautic! I've still got to put in the minimap and the territory circles, but I can do attack lines now, I guess. It'll help me figure out regions!
aeronautic wrote:
I would do the Outer Island Territory Dividers as the same thickness as other territory dividers, but just straight line gaps in the dark water showing the lighter water and a same thickness ring in the same way around Guam which will allow all the outer ones to attack Guam and each Adjacent island.
There is a neutral island there which you could just leave as light water surrounding it and make it not part of the gameplay.
cbt711 wrote:
You could also do regions of the ocean where there were intense naval battles, that could help fill some of that massive space. Or just have regions covered by Fleets.

US First Pacific Fleet
US Second Pacific Fleet
US Marine Forward deployment Fleet
Imperial Japanese Naval Northern Force
Imperial Japanese Naval Forward deployed Force
Imperial Japanese Naval Carrier Group 1
Imperial Japanese Naval Carrier Group 2

etc, some research to nail down the names. Or you could divide fleets by Admirals in the war.
US: Nimitz Fleet, Fletcher Fleet, Spruance Fleet
Japan: Isoroku Yamamoto Fleet, Chuichi Nagumo Fleet, Nobutake Kondo Fleet

Fun fact - all 6 of those admirals faced off at the battle of Midway.
jtemple507 wrote:
cbt: Yes, I thought about doing that originally, but then thought it might make it have too many territories. I don't want to have to be dealing with an 81 territory map, seeing as this is my first attempt at a map. I guess seeing as someone actually suggested that, I think I'll do major naval battles as territories like Pearl Harbor and Leyte Gulf.
aeronautic: I'm only half understanding what you're suggesting. I'll quote your post and bold what I don't understand.
"I would do the Outer Island Territory Dividers as the same thickness as other territory dividers, but just straight line gaps in the dark water showing the lighter water and a same thickness ring in the same way around Guam which will allow all the outer ones to attack Guam and each Adjacent island.
There is a neutral island there which you could just leave as light water surrounding it and make it not part of the gameplay."
I am going to delete the "neutral island", but please clarify what exactly you mean in the bold.
aeronautic wrote:
I will make you a photoshop layer to use tonight and upload it here. I'm afraid I don't have any other program to use, but I think I read you saying you will be using photoshop for the rest of the map. You will have to download it when I post it.
You can use it, modify it, or discard it!