An exploration of randomness.
  • 266 posts
  • Page 6 of 18
Matty wrote:
Lol no, that would make it really easy to cheat xD
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
You don't believe Matty? The dice are determined server side. There is no way to hack it.
Vexer wrote:
click on the information link and then on the staff tab.
Sygmassacre wrote:
I for one will take a bit of not so random to play this awesome site as opposed trying to get a bunch of friends together for a live game anytime, day or night when I feel the urge to play. Completely random or not is beyond my ability to determine anyway so in my case ignorance is bliss...I'll keep smiling merrily when you lose 20 to my 6
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
elysium5 wrote:
The dice are not true random. Claim it all you want but they are for a FACT not true random. The type of generator used proves it.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
Cireon wrote:
That is true, elysium, but they are as random as possible within our technical limitations and you will not notice the difference with real dice.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
elysium5 wrote:
Just tired of people claiming they are random when they are not and being all snotty about it. I know they are close, I know they come close to evening out, but I also know they are not true random so when someone tries to throw a bunch of definitions of random at me in defense of screwy dice I feel the need to point out that there is a difference between the definition of random and the application of random.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
jonboy1967 wrote:
This is my take. How much does luck play into war? That is after all what Risk is correct. I understand you are wanting to get as close as you can to natural randomness, which is fine to a point. But in war the absolute main factors is preparedness and strategy. In tooooo many games (and I do understand its a game) the decision of who wins is based tooo much on luck.
jonboy1967 wrote:
Earlier i posted Vexer one reason for why i think the di are bad. You seemed condescending and said " yea, there is too much luck in this game". I am going to ask a question. In your program you made for random di-Is the natural advantage of say 9 against 1 for instance part of your program for random di roll. My take would be that 90 percent of the time the 9 is going to win. And when you add in random di, that number might even be a lil higher. The second thing is this.....If this many people are complaining, maybe their right and your not. Just my take. I'm tired of trying to have some strategy just destroyed by bad di. If my strategy is to take into account that the di will kill me and me not kill me, thats a strategy that is NOT in the board game as heavily as it is here. Take it for what its worth. But please don't just blow us off as dumb asses.
Cireon wrote:
(tl;dr below)

As response to all the complaints about dice, Vexer has done a lot of research into the dice and compared it to the real-life results on the internet and the dice are practically the same as the real dice. Most of these can be found in the first post of this thread and some others scattered around on the forums.

In all honesty, Vexer can show conclusive proof of the fact that the dice are right, while other people are only posting single cases. When talking "random", single cases can not prove anything!

You can try and tell him (us) that he is not right, but he has done anything he can to prove that he is right. It is the same as me telling you that roughly 50% of all coin flips will be heads, based on a simulation of one million coin flips and then shouting (*shouts* YES, SHOUTING!) that I am not right by doing ten coin flips in which the amount of heads is not exactly 5. (Fun fact: we actually did simulate a lot of coin flips with our pseudo-random generator *click*)

So yeah, as mathematician I am all open for discussion about dice, but only with people that actually understand statistics, because most of you are just looking for a way to tunnel your frustrations on losing a game (*giggles*) on something you do not have in your own hands: the dice. And sure, I also do it sometimes, but I blame randomness itself and not malfunctioning code.

Please, everybody wanting to complain, look at this page. Refresh it as much as you want to and then tell me again that the dice is wrong and explain me why.

(tl;dr start reading here)

There is a difference between not liking randomness and telling us the dice are wrong. The first thing is something we will be working on after the more important tasks have been finished. The second thing is actually complete nonsense, as shown by de evidence in the first post.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
elysium5 wrote:
Random.org
elysium5 is online.