The current 12 best players on the site
  • 1334 posts
  • Page 87 of 89
Ekarf wrote:
I have total respect for the top 12 players. But, are they really the best? For example, a player that only or mostly plays with non-increasing turn ins and a lot of players could literally win every game. He could be 200-0 and he could still not make the top 12 monthly.
periwinkle wrote:
Ekarf
I have total respect for the top 12 players. But, are they really the best? For example, a player that only or mostly plays with non-increasing turn ins and a lot of players could literally win every game. He could be 200-0 and he could still not make the top 12 monthly.

I will be the first to admit that I am NOT one of the top 12 players for single player games. I am a team game player. I just enjoy playing team games much more than playing singles because of the comradary. If the list could only include 5 single player games, I would be completely happy and I have no issues with no being part of the dominating list. I'm sure this would also exlcude a few others from this list as well.

Now if there was a separate list for just team players, then I would welcome that. :)

slackbatter wrote:
Ekarf
I don't know about the rest of these players, but yes, I am really the best. :P

New game has started: https://dominating12.com/game/1434008
elysium5 wrote:
I agree. slack, you are the best! I think there might even be some tribute poems written about you acknowledging that fact!

I will say that I do like that players who excel in their specialty game types can go head to head against each other in a winner takes all bragging rights match game that is a known pre-determined/agreed upon game type like this.

Be proud of your specialized game type preference as all it means is that you are always trying to be as good as you possibly can playing a game you enjoy and that is what makes a player great; their desire to excel!

And don't forget, it takes the best players at their preferred game type to qualify so that should never be discounted. It takes skill to do that.

You earned the right to play!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Ekarf wrote:
My comment was not really addressed much. My comment stated that while the monthly Dominating 12 are certainly deserving of respect, they might not be the best players in that month. Periwinkle acknowledged that he was only one of the best players in team games and that he falls off quite a bit in other formats. Slackbatter stated that he is indeed the best player. And Elysium5 stated that Periwinkle was indeed deserving of top 12, that playing his preferred formats and being great at them does not take away from his results. 

I have never played a team game. My mic is broken. I guess you need a mic to play at the top level? Do you speak to your partner? Could be fun. I can buy a mic if needed. I am actually in a game with Slackbatter with his preferred turn-ins atm. We will see how it goes.

But my point still stands: A player that mainly or only plays low turn-ins could be 50000-0 on this site could still never be a Dominating 12. I really really am not complaining. I just think it is interesting. I love this site. I was also a part of the 2nd biggest English speaking site years ago. This site is better.
The_Bishop wrote:
@Ekarf
I think Periwinkle is too modest, she's actually good in all formats, not only in team games. Slackbatter instead doesn't sound modest, but yes, he's the best! And I have noticed recently he plays a lot of games with turn-ins capped 10. However you are right, the top-12 might not be the actual best players of this website, but what does "best players" mean? We have a rating system that mixes all types together and this is our parameter, we live with that.
Most of players play long-term games (24h turns), so we don't really need a microphone, we just use the team chat tab.
I struggle with English, I would be extremely shy to speak into a microphone!! :S

Nicely said @elysium5 :thumbs:
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
Ekarf
My comment was not really addressed much. My comment stated that while the monthly Dominating 12 are certainly deserving of respect, they might not be the best players in that month. Periwinkle acknowledged that he was only one of the best players in team games and that he falls off quite a bit in other formats. Slackbatter stated that he is indeed the best player. And Elysium5 stated that Periwinkle was indeed deserving of top 12, that playing his preferred formats and being great at them does not take away from his results. 

I have never played a team game. My mic is broken. I guess you need a mic to play at the top level? Do you speak to your partner? Could be fun. I can buy a mic if needed. I am actually in a game with Slackbatter with his preferred turn-ins atm. We will see how it goes.

But my point still stands: A player that mainly or only plays low turn-ins could be 50000-0 on this site could still never be a Dominating 12. I really really am not complaining. I just think it is interesting. I love this site. I was also a part of the 2nd biggest English speaking site years ago. This site is better.

Yes, this has been discussed ad nauseam. It is the top 12 active ranked players (played/playing in 5 games that month). It isn't those that increased the most rank that month.

For team games, find a partner you trust, talk often in the team chat.
Ekarf wrote:
<3 Bishop. I think we only played 1 game together but I still rememeber it. I remember you being both funny but still trying to stop me from winning and I think you are a map making god. You say, "However you are right, the top-12 might not be the actual best players of this website, but what does "best players" mean? We have a rating system that mixes all types together and this is our parameter, we live with that."

That is my point! I am just saying that players that play low turn ins have basicially no chance to be a Dominating 12. And after embarrassingly not understanding the ratings/tokens I remembered why I decided to not bother- I can never be a top 12 no matter my play/win rate unless I play increasing turn=in
Ekarf wrote:
somehow i conflated you and itread together.We have not played any games together. i look forward to that changing.
dough_boy wrote:
Ekarf
I can never be a top 12 no matter my play/win rate unless I play increasing turn=in
This is frankly not true. You move up in the rankings playing games and winning them. You can move up faster playing a 9-person game against really high-ranked individuals and winning vs a 1v1 game against a similarly ranked opponent. Ultimately it doesn't matter the game type, it is the number of opponents and ranking difference.

Maybe you are saying because there are not a lot of high-ranked people that don't play fixed/capped/no cards?
Matty wrote:
Ekarf
A player that mainly or only plays low turn-ins could be 50000-0 on this site could still never be a Dominating 12.
This is not true. If you win that many games and not lose a single one, you would absolutely be the first on the list. Mere mortals like slackbatter, killrick or vexer can't compete with that.

Now, it is true that if you play fixed card games it will take longer to appear in the top 12 list than if you play increasing cards. D12's rating system is an approximation, it's not perfect.
But if you are good at fixed card games (or no cards, or low-capped cards, whatever), eventually you will end up in the top 12 list.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
slackbatter wrote:
I love capped cards and play them all the time. A win is a win no matter the format; you still get the points and climb the ratings. Looking forward to more games with you Ekarf! Judging by the rating you've already achieved in as few games as you've played, you'll be in the D12 pretty soon.
Ekarf wrote:
Yes, I thought I remembered how it was calculated but was mistaken. I thought it was based off of monthly gains. Thus, I was totally wrong. Thanks for correcting my ignorance Matty. Thanks Slackbatter but I am not as good as I was when I gained all that rating. But I still look froward to playing more games with you.