A thread to track progress in the tool I'm making
  • 66 posts
  • Page 3 of 5
jr502 wrote:
Cireon
Hi Alan.

Maybe this will help with your capitals problem. This is the calculation we do to determine how many troops start on a capital:

10 + floor($numTerritoriesPerUser / 3)

$numTerritoriesPerUser is the number of territories every player starts with. This is generally

floor($numTerritoriesInMap / max($numPlayers, 3))

Is it possible for some of these things to be written to the game log?
e.g.
game started
gametype is capitals
greenplayer received +10 armies on capital Texas
blueplayer received +10 armies on capital Arizona
Matty wrote:
jr502
Is it possible for some of these things to be written to the game log?
No, not really. What is possible is to have an API that'll give you the initial game state (how the board looks before the first turn is started).

With that you should have the information you need, right?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
I am wondering if there is a slight glitch. I was watching the replay of this fog game and was curious about the "Pinkmaiden" territory (lower right of the brown region). It says it was neutral the entire game, yet the real game has me owning it and never concurring it. Also, I got credit for holding the region (which I believe I did).

I was trying to see how things played out considering I got lucky.
alunturner wrote:
Hi dough-boy,

I'd say it's a "quirk" as opposed to glitch. The replay takes all of it's information from the game log on the dominating 12 website and from that infers what the initial troop distribution was.

This means that if a territory isn't mentioned at all (ie it's not attacked, reinforced, fortified at all in the game) then the replay can't tell who owns it. This is what happens here. Pinkmaiden has no action for the whole game (poor Pinkmaiden). I can't get around this at the moment.

Alun
Cireon wrote:
We're thinking about creating an API to publicly expose the starting state of a game, which would allow for these problems to be solved, but Matty and I currently have our hands full with other things.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
alunturner wrote:
Hi all,

Minor update just pushed up today. Now when you go to the site if you want to go to a specific game you can go to the address (https://art-visualiser.netlify.app/) and put a game number on the end of it (eg https://art-visualiser.netlify.app/997721). This skips the homescreen type thing it currently uses.

This means you can now send a link to a specific game to another person, should you so desire.

More updates coming in this week.

Alun

jr502 wrote:
alunturner
Hi all,

Minor update just pushed up today. Now when you go to the site if you want to go to a specific game you can go to the address (https://art-visualiser.netlify.app/) and put a game number on the end of it (eg https://art-visualiser.netlify.app/997721). This skips the homescreen type thing it currently uses.

This means you can now send a link to a specific game to another person, should you so desire.

More updates coming in this week.

Alun

Yay! this is great new feature/capability (Y)
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm happy for having the direct link to a specific game history. Much practice.

I think 3 seconds per move is very slow, and 0.1 seconds not fast enough. Maybe, can it be made faster ?
Actually many times I just want to see a single move (likely the last played move), so I go at top speed until it approaches the move I want to see and then I stop and I go ahead step by step. I would find practice to have a range between 0.01 sec (very fast) and 1 sec (slow).
That way probably I won't feel anymore the need of a go-back button, which, I know, would make everything more complex.

Look for example how long it takes to watch 16 rounds, at top speed, in a 9-player game (actually 16 rounds + 1 turn):
https://art-visualiser.netlify.app/1063958

«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
alunturner wrote:
Hi The_Bishop. That's an easy change. I can do that.

Big news!

The back button is now implemented. Expect that it may take a little longer to load initially (plus I may have broken other stuff I haven't noticed when implementing this) but you now have the ability to go back one step. If you find any stuff that's broken (that used to work) please let me know.

Now that I've got it all rearranged to enable you to go back through the steps, I'll figure out a way to let you zip between rounds/players to enable speedy navigation of a game.

Once I've improved the navigation I'll be going on to look at stats and also some formatting of the display.

Alun
alunturner wrote:
More updates today.

Fixed a bug where the round counter wouldn't go past round 9. It's now correct.
Changed the settings on the slider for the round times, so the minimum is now .05s per action.
Put some buttons in for switching between rounds/players - these are just place holders for the time being but once they're hooked up I'll let you know.

Alun
alunturner wrote:
Major update.

Now have the ability to skip between rounds and also between players. Have a go with it and see what you think.
I plan to bind the skip round/skip player buttons to the keyboard so you'll be able to navigate using keys instead.

Alun
The_Bishop wrote:
Amazing Alun, skipping rounds back and forth like this is just great!

I would like to suggest 2 things: first one, show the url of the game above the map. Second: since there is the virtual round "0", it would be good to have also the virtual round "End" (or Finish), you know, just rating changes and tokens awarded... That way with one more click on the arrow we get to the very end of the game.

Well, and third thing :P you had also promised overlay annotations showing the changes in troop count relating to attack, reinforcement, fortification and also invasion after attack. I don't want to stress you, I'm just excited seeing how it is progressing good. However as it is now it has already a great funtionality.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
jr502 wrote:
I love the progress that you are making on this. Getting better all the time.

here's a little display suggestion
.sidebar {padding: 0.5vw;}  or 7px?

elysium5 wrote:
I decided to pin this thread so it doesn't fall out of view.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."