• 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Hoodlum wrote:
Want more players? Need tokens?

A new token incentive. (250 tokens)

There are a lot of sign ups that don't try a game. A new player is usually looking for a live game to begin with. Test it out to see if they like it.
But if there is no game, they will log off and likely never try again. Outside of d12 I sometimes promote it on strategy sites, game site forums etc, using my referral program I try to intercept them if I see them online, but I tend to miss a lot of them to be able to give them a quick tutorial. The few I manage to give tutorials to, tend to stick around and be main stayers.

I encourage players to invite a new player for a quick 1v1 game and show them the ropes. I know losing big points to a new player is a disincentive, but I can return points for any first game player you might lose against, where it shows you helped them in the chat. Send me a private message with game link, of where it shows you helped out first game player, and I will gift 250 tokens (and return lost points if needed).

Also check out the referral program to see how you can earn more tokens.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Let me start of by saying that I love the initiative; Had I known about this thread before playing my first game, I would've most certainly tried to get someone to show me the ropes in the first game. Therefore, after reading this, I've tried it out quite a bit... it is however a lot harder than one might guess...

For some reason, new players aren't as interested in this kind of service, as one would expect - I am still researching the grounds.

My attempts (*edit: quickly copy/pasted in excel - it's >100 entries..., 103 to be exact) over the last few weeks:
Bunch of messages wrt trying to get new players to play a game and get accustomed with mechanics (click to show)

Note: all these messages amounted to a grant total of 4 games played... obviously, if there's a (1) - it means there was no response at all from the recipient; even with a (2) and a (3), most of them didn't get responses either, just me reaching out some more... (e.g. sending them a message that a game has been prepared and an invite send out; they'd just have to hop on in) - without checking every last message, I would suppose that about ~8 people actually replied? I believe 2 (?) replied that they're familiar with the game and are not interested in a 1v1, just wish to play big(ger) games (fair enough).

Currently, the message I send out as a standard is this one:

Hey there!

Just noticed you are new to this site. If you want to, I could set up a quick 1v1 game so you can get a feeling for how the mechanics work on this website. I know I have struggled quite a bit with them when I discovered the website.

Let me know what you think of it

With kind regards,

-Alex

For some reason, it is not appealing enough for most players to respond, let alone take the offer... the 4 that did actually come to fruition, are the following:
ag63 - https://dominating12.com/game/899181 // she really made an effort to understand/improve (generally, girls have a way lower threshold to accept help)
abraker - https://dominating12.com/game/904285 // he seemed quite involved
Monazangi - https://dominating12.com/game/911805 // not sure what to think of this player...
kitskits - https://dominating12.com/game/912279 // first (& thus far... only!) player to actually stick around after his first game (5-8 May; 17 games played, of which 5 won)

At this point, I'm not quite sure whether it's worth the effort; 2 months of trying to reach out to new players whenever I notice them, getting <10 responses and <5 who try it out, of which, thus far, only 1 seems to be sticking around at the website... (<10% response, <5% success with getting a game, <1% complete success in getting a "stayer";)
Disclaimer: this does NOT mean that everyone else isn't sticking around, nor that I think everyone should (be forced to) play a(n easy) 1v1 game to get a brief introduction to the mechanics.

Posted this to share my experience/observation wrt this topic/idea. If someone has ideas how to boost the efficiency or something, feel free to share! =)

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein