Interested in learning the new team game setting? Well this is the place for you!
  • 85 posts
  • Page 5 of 6
Hoodlum wrote:
I personally like everything about team games on D12, having played team games elsewhere for a lot of years.

The only thing I could think of that could improve it more was a substitution for a missing partner.

"What if your partner is a no-show?"

I've suggested a substitution rule for team games.
1 missed turn gives a remaining player the opportunity to call upon a game attendant to have a partner replaced.

Matty (programmer) confirms this as something that can be easily implemented for staff to be able to do in the future once team games are available.

You still miss out on some reinforcements and a manoeuvre from your absent partner, but you should choose your partner carefully anyway. It's teamwork, trusting in your partner. Most scenarios of a missing partner will be in long term games. That's plenty of time to contact a game attendant after your partner misses first turn.

This will at least avoid a 2nd missed turn and you wont be left fighting a team/s and a bunch of neutral territories, to a sure loss.

*Substitute players would be filling in, so no points win or loss. Since they could be substituting in a handicapped game. This would make it easier for a player to find a willing substitute.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
UltrasPlot wrote:
There is an issue with that proposal, Hoodlum.

If the substituted player loses, points are disproportionately gained OR the winning team does not get a sufficient reward.

Let us assume there are players 1,2,3,4,5, and 6. 1, 2 are a team; 3,4 are a team; 5,6 are a team.

Now 6 disappears and a Game Attendeant substitutes in a player which we shall call 7. At game end you would normally expect this: Player 1 gained 40 points.
Player 2 gained 40 points.
Player 3 lost 20 points.
Player 4 lost 20 points.
Player 5 lost 20 points.
Now what do we fit here?
Player 6 lost 20 points?
or
Player 7 lost 20 points?

As much as it seems that Player 6 lost 20 points would be fair, in reality it is not. Player 7 could have purposely wrecked team 5-6's game due to it not affecting him at all.

Now let us look at the scenario where 5 and 6 win.

Player 1 lost 20 points.
Player 2 lost 20 points.
Player 3 lost 20 points.
Player 4 lost 20 points.
Player 5 gained 40 points.
Once more:

Do we give Player 6 40 or Player 7 forty?
Logically we should assign these points to the same player as above, yet that could lead to a deadbeat getting points for no reason, and encourage deadbeating in team games to get substituted out for a better player to win!

So... what if we do not award those 40?

If we do this multiple times we will drain points from the site and make our rankings inaccurate. Unless we use a formula such as:

If <USER> has more than 0.001592 of the points on the site, <USER> is a 2nd Lieutenant.

The issue here is that rank can be lost simply because a player was inactive, inevitably leading to rank deflation.

Also, this proposal leads to grounds for abuse. If a player dislikes his teammate he simply has to have them deadbeat for one turn! This can be easily manipulated in "Random Teams" games to obtain a favorable partner.

I am usually one to trust in the authority's ability to check corruption, however here I am a skeptic. There are multiple VERY simple ways to abuse this.

If you were lazy and didn't read my whole post:
tl;dr: I am opposed to this change as it would introduce many problems to our current system and is easily abused.
Hoodlum wrote:
Yeah i didn't go into all the calculation of points and so forth.
and I was only thinking of a 2v2 game rather than a 2v2v2v2 or any other team variation, regarding substitution, as that's what I'm more familiar with. I can see all your points, and good feedback.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ok, since no substitutions...
At least for the moment without a proper rule...

But what about the last game, won by Sygma?
broberts resigned and finally won the game!!
How a resigned player can win the game??

I do think Sygma must gain all the points for himself and broberts too must lose his points to Sygma like the other losing opponents. And I propose the same for players kicked for missing turns, they must be treated as losers, even if the teammates win.

[ P.S. That game was supposed to be pointless really ]
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
BETA wrote:
ok on it. As I didnt play in the game, it slipped my mind. I am sorry.

I also think that if a player resigns or is kicked for missing turns, he should lose points even if his team wins.
Hoodlum wrote:
Ah it's a 2v2v2. These are interesting games from my experience, they can go on for a while too, (live game).
Some times when it becomes 2v2v1 the 1 team player left can kind of be the decider of which team of the remaining two teams will win on how he plays, usually it's a loss for him, but if he's skilled enough which Syg is, he will sit and take easy cards, stay spread out so he can't be isolated and just grow, and let the other players battle it out. No team wants to weaken themselves on a single team player, for the other team to capitalize on. Syg is not initially a threat, but you got to watch that he doesn't become one.
It's like watching 4 players go at it in a deathmatch game recklessly, while Syg cleans up the mess. I don't know what happened in this game, but I can imagine that was a likely scenario. luckily it was a training game because broberts shouldn't be rewarded for resigning. Your right Bishop, kicked players and Resigning players shouldn't earn points IMO too.
Choose your partner carefully.
*1 player can beat two teams..this is a good example
Madagascarter wrote:
madagascarter
This seems very late... Can I be a tutee?

Nothing has happened. I <3 Risk & dominating12 so can I be a tutee?
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
UltrasPlot wrote:
beta is still quite inactive... this is unfortunate, it was a good idea... Madag ill open a team game and invite you